X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWI begins offering agriculture courses

Patrick Foster, Observer writer
    Posted: 7/29/2009 1:32:01 PM

RESPONDING to the resurgent role of agriculture in Jamaica, the University of the West Indies (UWI) Mona campus is now offering bachelors and masters degree courses in the subject starting this September.

UWI principal Professor Gordon Shirley announced the new courses last night at the launch of a conference dubbed Food Security and Agricultural Development in the Americas at the campus’ Mona Visitors Lodge.

Persons desiring a career in agriculture can now pursue a BSc or MSc in Tropical Horticulture at the University.

"We will advertise the bachelors programme in August," Dean of the Faculty of Pure and Applied Sciences Professor Ishenkumba Kahwa told the Observer yesterday.

Kahwa explained that the courses cover the production of fruit and vegetable crops in the region and included extensive training in entrepreneurial and marketing skills.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Really? They didn't see the need to do this before now? I guess the College of Agriculture in fi some competition now.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

they can do it that quickly?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

How is the College of Agriculture in for competition why 60% of farming land not in use?

productivity is the name of the game and if we are competitive and can find nitch markets more can be done.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          How is the College of Agriculture in for competition why 60% of farming land not in use?

productivity is the name of the game and if we are competitive and can find nitch markets more can be done.
          Not certain where you're going with this. What I meant was people looking for degrees in agri have UWI as an option now. Most ppl I know with an agri degree got it from CASE.

Comment

OK but we needed more people in the Agricultural science, marketing and productivity. We have space for all a dem.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I hope the include (responsibly) the role of GMO foods as part of the solution for Jamaica.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
              X