RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Errol Flynn Centennial Ball for Portie (Mo yuh going?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errol Flynn Centennial Ball for Portie (Mo yuh going?)

Errol Flynn Centennial Ball for Port Antonio

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

PORT ANTONIO, Portland - With 2009 being the 100th year since the birth of actor-legend Errol Flynn, the occasion will be marked by a massive Centennial Ball, Saturday, Noember 14, on the scenic Ken Wright Pier at the Errol Flynn Marina. Beneficiary of the fund raising event will be the Port Antonio Marching Band, according to Lennon Crooks, chairman and event producer.

Patrice Wymore Flynn, Errol's widow and a resident of Portland, will be guest of honour for the evening and is also patron of the event.

Under the joint sponsorship of the Portland Chamber of Commerce and the Ocho Rios Jazz Festival, the ball will feature music of the '50s-'60s by Jamaica's Big Band, under the baton of Sonny Bradshaw. The pier will be transformed into a dance venue of that era, complete with lighted dance floor and a background screen featuring flashes of Errol Flynn memorabilia throughout his lifetime.

Patrice Wymore Flynn, Errol's widow and a resident of Portland, will be guest of honour for the evening and is also patron of the event. Flynn's grandson, Luke, who bears a striking resemblance to his grandfather is also expected to attend.

The event was conceived not only to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Flynn's birth as well as the 50th year since his death at 50 in 1959; but also to provide some badly needed funding to the marching band.

"We are very passionate about helping the band," Crooks said. "It's a great way to keep kids off the street and to give them some sense of accomplishment and discipline at the same time. This is a great chance to give them a helping hand, plus have a great time. We expect this ball to be the event of the year."

The ball will get underway with a sunset cocktail hour from 7 to 8:00 pm with keyboard player Peter Stoddart and blues-jazz singer Trish Chamberlain providing background music. There will be finger food, including a sampling of gourmet cheeses and specialty wines provided by a major Kingston distributor; in addition to a cash bar. From 8 o'clock, there will be continuous dancing on the pier with a few demonstrations of elegant ballroom dancing from a bygone era. Gourmet snacks will be provided throughout the evening. Dress will be semi-formal and a variety of door prizes will be awarded throughout the evening.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I sometimes wonder what Portlanders feel about Errol Flynn. There are some differing accounts about his life in that parish.

What are your views, MdmeX?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

he was a bit of a dasher, wot eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

he bout the first hedonism to Jamaica. The older Portlanders do not like what he was about but it gives the parish a lot of exposure and when talking about rafting, Navy Island, Marina, Folly etc. it is sexy and popular to mention Flynn as a well known name.

Most a the youngster have no idea who he is and them only see Ms. Flynn as the old white lady been Chauffer driven in a Rolls(or whatever car it is).
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          he bout the first hedonism to Jamaica. The older Portlanders do not like what he was about but it gives the parish a lot of exposure and when talking about rafting, Navy Island, Marina, Folly etc. it is sexy and popular to mention Flynn as a well known name.

Most a the youngster have no idea who he is and them only see Ms. Flynn as the old white lady been Chauffer driven in a Rolls(or whatever car it is).
          Okay, that's what others think. What is your opinion of the man?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mo I have never given it a thought really. I was too young to know about Flynn and the little I hear could all be romours. There is hardly anything documented so others are in a better position to give opinion. He had nuff property in the eastern end and maybe Mdmex have a more informed opinion.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

thanks! did you know he was a big supporter of Norman Manley and the PNP?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This event sounds like one i would enjoy.............................
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

All I know is that he was a large land owner in Eastern Portland, which his wife still has. I've heard that at one stage he raced horses in the Boston area, similar to Caymanas park.

It is said that he helped greatly in the development of tourism in the Parish.

I know locals had a problem with Mrs. Flynn and lands in Fair Prospect - don't know if it was ever resolved.
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    This event sounds like one i would enjoy.............................
                    It's a theme event. You sure yuh would enjoy serving drinks and hors d'oeuvres?

Comment

No I didn't even know that but I have no problem with that. As I said there is not enough credible information for me to even make statement about Mr. Flynn.

To be frank I didn't know one of his movies. I only know he was 'big" in Hollywood.

Comment

What????? Yu nevva hear bout Bond. James Bond?

Comment

yeah but I never know he was in one a dem.

Comment

yuh sure seh a nuh ian fleming yuh a think 'bout?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

YEah....

Comment

Working...
                              X