X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Jamaica Revisited!

Brand Jamaica
    Products of a Powerful Nation

This post was influenced by a commendable, albeit rather incomplete thread started by Maudib. The list below is a continuation of that original started by Maudib along with the several relevant contributions to that thread by Assasin, Historian, and in the case of Marcus Garvey, Don1.

I’ve tried to assemble the following into what I hope is a logical list, at the same time expanding on the original limited lists. All responses, including both additions and criticisms, are welcome.

Brand Jamaica (Jamaican Exports)

Reggae Music
    Dancehall Music
    The Rastafarian Culture
    Jerk Chicken
    Jerk Pork
    Jerk Seasoning
    Ska Music
    Blue Mountain Coffee
    Sandals All-Inclusive Resorts (Butch Stewart)
    SuperClubs Resorts (John Issa)
    Dub Poetry
    Dub Music (an influential studio innovation)*
    Black, green and red accessories (wristbands, etc.)
    Black, green and gold accessories (wristbands, etc.)

Brand Jamaica (Influential Jamaicans)
    Robert Nesta “Bob” Marley
    Usain Bolt
    Marcus Garvey
    Outstanding track athletes (Asafa Powell, Merlene Ottey, etc.)
    Chris Blackwell (Island Records founder)
    Sly and Robbie
    Shaggy
    Sean Paul
    The Jamaica Folk Singers
    Harry Belafonte

* Dub Music includes Jamaican innovations such as the “dropping out” of some instruments and leaving only the bass guitar and drums.

madge sinclair
    delroy lindo
    peter tosh
    all things bobsled
    the young pilot (figget his name yah now)

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      madge sinclair
      delroy lindo
      peter tosh
      all things bobsled
      the young pilot (figget his name yah now)

Capt. Barrington Irving OD....soon to come on board the only flight school at a secondary institution in the Caribbean, Central & South America.

BTW ...JC haffi deh pon Historian lis
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Brand Jamaica

Products of a Powerful Nation

This post was influenced by a commendable, albeit rather incomplete thread started by Maudib. The list below is a continuation of that original started by Maudib along with the several relevant contributions to that thread by Assasin, Historian, and in the case of Marcus Garvey, Don1.

I’ve tried to assemble the following into what I hope is a logical list, at the same time expanding on the original limited lists. All responses, including both additions and criticisms, are welcome.

Brand Jamaica (Jamaican Exports)

Reggae Music
        Dancehall Music
        The Rastafarian Culture
        Jerk Chicken
        Jerk Pork
        Jerk Seasoning
        Ska Music
        Blue Mountain Coffee
        Sandals All-Inclusive Resorts (Butch Stewart)
        SuperClubs Resorts (John Issa)
        Dub Poetry
        Dub Music (an influential studio innovation)*
        Black, green and red accessories (wristbands, etc.)
        Black, green and gold accessories (wristbands, etc.)

Brand Jamaica (Influential Jamaicans)
        Robert Nesta “Bob” Marley
        Usain Bolt
        Marcus Garvey
        Outstanding track athletes (Asafa Powell, Merlene Ottey, etc.)
        Chris Blackwell (Island Records founder)
        Sly and Robbie
        Shaggy
        Sean Paul
        The Jamaica Folk Singers
        Harry Belafonte

* Dub Music includes Jamaican innovations such as the “dropping out” of some instruments and leaving only the bass guitar and drums.

Historian,

I started a website some time ago addressing this subject in a fulsome way...the list is almost endless.

Talent abounds as someone said.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

well that wasn't lazie.....

add

john barnes
          lindy delapenha

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Talent abounds as someone said -

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            well that wasn't lazie.....

add

john barnes
            lindy delapenha
            ...and the millions at home and abroad who keep the flag flying HIGH!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

1. The mysticism of smoking GANJA.
              2. Expanding on the ALL-INCLUSIVE concept
              3. Miss Lou
              4. Hip-Hop/Rap music
              5. Popularising the skettel fashion in the USA back in the late 80's and early 90's - spandex was the lick with the VERY colourful hairstyles
              6. Champs - which will soon be replicated worldwide
              7. Calabar High School
              8. Great cricketers
              9. Michael Manley (I am not affiliated to neither parties)
              10. The Jamaican WILL to overcome obstacles which has inspired many
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

11.Vybez Kartel
                12.Movado
                13.STGC
                14.Yuttie
                15.Cool Runnings
                16.How Stella Got her Grove Back
                17.Dancehall Queens
                18.Beenie Man
                19.Sizzla
                20.Kingston
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Website....

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                  Historian,

I started a website some time ago addressing this subject in a fulsome way...the list is almost endless.

Talent abounds as someone said.
                  Don1, I certainly agree with you that “the list is almost endless”! As far as Jamaican talent in various areas is concerned, you are completely correct.

Starting such a website as you mentioned is a very commendable effort, but at the same time I’m not surprised. Your passion for Jamaica’s development (despite the conflict in political perspectives that you often have with other passionate Jamaicans on this Reggae Boyz Forum) is obvious. In fact, what cannot be disputed is the reality that you have always argued strongly for genuine and lasting social, economic and political development in Jamaica.

I wish I could see that website you created, as I suspect that I would like it very much!! Much respect, boss !

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    1. The mysticism of smoking GANJA.
                    2. Expanding on the ALL-INCLUSIVE concept
                    3. Miss Lou
                    4. Hip-Hop/Rap music
                    5. Popularising the skettel fashion in the USA back in the late 80's and early 90's - spandex was the lick with the VERY colourful hairstyles
                    6. Champs - which will soon be replicated worldwide
                    7. Calabar High School
                    8. Great cricketers
                    9. Michael Manley (I am not affiliated to neither parties)
                    10. The Jamaican WILL to overcome obstacles which has inspired many
                    Dudus/...he is recognized now as world class.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                      Don1, I certainly agree with you that “the list is almost endless”! As far as Jamaican talent in various areas is concerned, you are completely correct.

Starting such a website as you mentioned is a very commendable effort, but at the same time I’m not surprised. Your passion for Jamaica’s development (despite the conflict in political perspectives that you often have with other passionate Jamaicans on this Reggae Boyz Forum) is obvious. In fact, what cannot be disputed is the reality that you have always argued strongly for genuine and lasting social, economic and political development in Jamaica.

I wish I could see that website you created, as I suspect that I would like it very much!! Much respect, boss !
                      Thanks for the nice words. We may all disagree at some point but I believe we ALL have Jamaica's best interest at heart...expressing that interest in the manner we feel best suits our situation and our own perspective.

Once I started the project and the more I worked on it...the more I realized how humungous it was...I really need a research team and proper funding.

So it it is still in a preliminary stage..NOT ready for prime time.

It may be one of those lifetime type/legacy projects.

Respek

Comment

Ok, here are a few additions.
                        1. Jamaican ginger is considered to be world class
                        2. Jamaican pimento is consideed to be the best in the world with the key distinguishing properties considered to be the greatest in Jamaican pimento.
                        3. Originators of the sound system concept, as an entertainment alternative and we continue to dominate this form of entertainment style.
                        4. Originator of the rap style, the first country to produce talking on record as a commercial form and stand alone entertainment option.
                        5. Creation of a new religion, standalone cultural concept, with it's own philosophy, lifestyle, language and food culture, which will only continue to grow. Rastafaria now has adherents all over the world, I know this has been said already but i had to elaborate.
                        6. Ital cusine
                        7. All modifications to the use of I relative to nouns, iPhone, iPod etc. slight joke! Possibly true.
                        8. 1st use of steam engine in a commercial application.
                        9. The Jamaican pineapple was the one first used in the mass scale production of Pineapple in Hawaii.
                        10.Jamaican Cocoa, was esteemed and prized for several centuries.
                        11. Jamaican vanilla also world class.
                        12. The grapefruit was created in Jamaica, Barbadoes also claims this is the case, who do you believe. Now a world class citrus fruit all over the world.
                        13. Ting grapefruit drink won multiple goldmedals in a number of top competitions.
                        14. Jamaican sorrel, while originally from India is well know across Latin America by the name "Jamaica" pronounced with an H as you probably all know.
                        15. Jamaican tobacco, while not necessarily at it's best was world renowned.
                        16. Patty done on a mass production scale, is a Jamaican product that is known all over the world, no one does it better than the Jamaicans, there are now Tastee patty shops all over the Phillipines.
                        17. Red DStripe is well know all over the world.
                        18. Creation of James Bond is very much a Jamaican product.
                        19. Port Royal, the richest and wickedest city ever known to man, the greatest pirate city ever and also one of the greatest archeological site in the world today.
                        19. Henry Morgan while from Wales originally, died a Jamaican, the greatest privateer, buccaneer/pirate that ever lived.
                        20. Blackbeard, reputed to be Jamaican and in some books claims that his mother without a doubt was from Jamaica.
                        21. Development of the perch as a commercial product to be grown in freshwater ponds, pioneered by Jamaican A. Thomas, who se real competitive advantage created was the (hold unuh ears tight yuh nah go like this one) the monosex culture of the perch, growing males together led to an enormous jump in size which gave further impetus to the commercialization of the perch in freshwater ponds, this now has tremendous impact in Africa and all over the developing world.
                        22. Development of dairy, beef cattle for the tropics by one Dr lecky, one of which the Jamaican Brahman is now widely used in Latin America.
                        23. UNIA the largest african based orgainzation the world has seen to date, with 6 million adherents across North, south america, Africa and Europe.
                        24. Cure for dropsy created by one Jakan Dr Tulloch.
                        25. Second oldest iron bridge in the world.

OK I will stop there.

Comment

Thanks, Stonigut!

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                          Ok, here are a few additions.
                          Great post, Stonigut!!

This is a very detailed post (25 separate major contributions by Jamaica) and certainly a learning experience for me in several instances!

Thanks for this most welcome addition to the thread .

Comment

Thanks to Everyone!

I must say a sincere thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread .

In times of social and economic difficulties, it’s often easy to forget the fact that Jamaica is indeed a great nation (indeed it could have been an even greater nation if the best decisions were made by our leaders as well as, in many cases, by the people themselves).

What started out for me as an exercise aimed at highlighting Jamaica’s positives in this thread has turned into a refreshing eye opener, as I indeed learned for the first time about a number of Jamaica’s contributions to the world in which we live.

Thanks once again to everyone !

Comment

You left out two of Jamaicas most important worldwide brands,1) ganja and 2) the common people.
                              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                              X