• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalise it

Legalise it

DIANE ABBOTT
    Sunday, September 06, 2009
    There has long been a worldwide debate about the need to legalise marijuana. Perhaps the most important argument in favour of its legalisation is that marijuana is far less damaging to a person's health than alcohol and cigarettes.
    DIANE ABBOTT
    Here in Britain, the statistics show that many more crimes are committed by persons under the influence of alcohol than marijuana. Almost as significant is the argument that it is the illegality of marijuana which causes criminality. If it were legal, the argument goes, the gangs and the violence associated with the drug would disappear overnight. Supporters of decriminalisation have also pointed out that despite the so-called "War on Drugs", consumption of drugs around the world has never been higher.
    But opponents of decriminalisation reject all these arguments. The church, in particular, makes a strong moral case. However, there is no opponent more vociferous than the United States of America. And it has used its power in the United Nations to crush any attempts to decriminalise the drug anywhere in the world and rubber-stamp its favoured policy of crop eradication and the "War on Drugs".
    So it is interesting that, despite long-standing US opposition, governments in Latin America are currently taking significant steps to decriminalise the drug.
    The American-led "War on Drugs" has always been unpopular amongst the masses in Latin America. Crop eradication has meant decimating the income of small rural producers who rely on the money to survive, send their children to school, etc. In Bolivia coca, the raw material for cocaine, has been in production for centuries. Bolivian peasants traditionally chew the leaves. It has been seen as a part of their culture. The current president, Evo Morales, was a peasant coca grower. He rose to fame campaigning for his fellow growers and against the wildly unpopular crop eradication policies that the government was pursuing under pressure from the Americans.
    Now, in Argentina, the Supreme Court has ruled that it is unconstitutional to punish people for having marijuana for personal use.
    The court ruled, "Each adult is free to make lifestyle decisions without the intervention of the state." In Mexico, the government has decided to stop prosecuting people for possession of small quantities of marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other drugs. These persons will be referred to clinics instead. Last year in Ecuador the president, Rafael Correa, pardoned 1,500 "mules" who had been sentenced to jail. His late father was a convicted mule. And Brazil is also considering partial decriminalisation.
    A drug addict prepares his fix of 'speedball', a combination of heroin and crystal meth, at a street corner near the international border in Tijuana, Mexico on Tuesday, August 25, 2009. Mexico now has some of the most liberal laws in the world for drug users after eliminating jail time for tiny amounts of marijuana, cocaine and even heroin, LSD and methamphetamine. (Photo: AP)
    Earlier this year Fernando Henrique Cardoso, the former Brazilian president, collaborated with two former presidents of Colombia and Mexico to produce a report "Latin American Commission on Drugs and Democracy". This called for new approaches to the drug problem. Cardoso says, "The tide is clearly turning. The 'War on Drugs' strategy has failed."
    Latin America has long been ravaged by the violence associated with the drug trade. Worse, the power of the drug cartels has undermined democratic institutions. Reformers argue that the only way to reduce the violence and restore stability to Latin America is to legalise the production, supply and consumption of drugs.
    Interestingly, the last time Mexico tried to decriminalise the possession of small quantities of drugs it was met with ferocious opposition from the United States. So they had to reinstate the law. This time the United States has said nothing. Maybe, under a new president, even the Americans are beginning to realise that the "War on Drugs" strategy has failed.
    It should be noted that many people who support the decriminalisation of marijuana do not support legalising harder drugs like cocaine and heroin.
    But the arguments for decriminalising marijuana are at least as strong in Jamaica as in Latin America. Many argue that, just like Bolivia, modest consumption of the naturally grown product is part of the culture. If the United States is really dropping its fierce opposition to decriminalisation, maybe it is time for Jamaica to reopen the contentious debate on legalising marijuana
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

What is the strong moral arguement that the church has against ganja? Is it that it is illegal by mans laws, criminalises the youth therefore their conclusion is it is morally wrong.

I see no other reason why or how the church could rail against gods plant.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Jamaica, known around the world for its hi-grade and the openness of ganja users, will be the last place on the globe that legalises it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ganja is illegal in Jamaica ???

Is this like that b@ttyman law from the 15th Century ?

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
          I see no other reason why or how the church could rail against gods plant.
          Nice. I guess you'd go out and have some Rhododendron nectar. Afterall, nuh ""god's plant".
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Nice. I guess you'd go out and have some Rhododendron nectar. Afterall, nuh ""god's plant".
            What's the big deal about Rhododendron? Are poisonous plants illegal just because they are poisonous? I guess rattlesnakes are illegal too, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              What's the big deal about Rhododendron? Are poisonous plants illegal just because they are poisonous? I guess rattlesnakes are illegal too, huh?
              So, whats the point about "god's plant" then? Maybe you should clear it with Xuberant before tekking up yuh sword and shield in his defense.

Weeks ago I've asked the proponents of legalising ganga how it would benefit Jamaica(ns) and everybody turn away whistling with their hands behind them.

Its all good to jump up and support a stance because its popular, despite how ridiculous it may be.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You don't find it ridiculous that you can't even have a potted plant of marijuana on your kitchen window sill?!? We can discuss whether the use of it (smoking, etc) should be illegal, but the law of the land doesn't even allow you to have a ganja plant growing in your backyard! How can God's plant be illegal in its completely natural state?!?!

Dem soon waan arrest yuh if yuh have an image of it on your necklace!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You don't find it ridiculous that you can't even have a potted plant of marijuana on your kitchen window sill?!? We can discuss whether the use of it (smoking, etc) should be illegal, but the law of the land doesn't even allow you to have a ganja plant growing in your backyard! How can God's plant be illegal in its completely natural state?!?!

Dem soon waan arrest yuh if yuh have an image of it on your necklace!
                  ... suh whats the big fuss about? Of the many plants on this earth, get another one. You really think people like X who constantly mekking up noise bout legalising it just want it fi decorate him window sill? Again, whats the benefit of legalising it?

Comment

The benefits are numerous. The drawbacks are also numerous, imo. It then becomes a matter of which outweighs the other.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well if rhododendron not illegal and it is poisonous why is ganja illegal?

lazie please do not be dishonest...the same arguments raised above were posited. perhaps it is better to confess that you did not read the posts because if you did there is no way that you could HONESTLY say that everybody turn them back whistling.

FURTHERMORE it is now getting popular, some of us were propnents way before it became "popular". The fact that is gaining momentum is neither here nor there i belive in the cause and i believe it is a just cause.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                        well if rhododendron not illegal and it is poisonous why is ganja illegal?

lazie please do not be dishonest...the same arguments raised above were posited. perhaps it is better to confess that you did not read the posts because if you did there is no way that you could HONESTLY say that everybody turn them back whistling.

FURTHERMORE it is now getting popular, some of us were propnents way before it became "popular". The fact that is gaining momentum is neither here nor there i belive in the cause and i believe it is a just cause.
                        Where am I being dishonest? Y'all seem to be learning from Mosiah. When one cannot defend a weak position simply throw up smoke screens bout "liad" and one "being dishonest"?

The thread in which I was involved I ask all the ganga proponents about the benefits and no one answered.

Getting popular now? Really? From I was a boy people have been promoting the legalising of weed.

Comment

The benefits are numerous. The drawbacks are also numerous, imo. It then becomes a matter of which outweighs the other.
                          Suh why not deal with that instead of having people wasting server space bout legalising weed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            Where am I being dishonest? Y'all seem to be learning from Mosiah. When one cannot defend a weak position simply throw up smoke screens bout "liad" and one "being dishonest"?
                            Deal wid di issue, Lazie, deal wid di ISSUE! Yuh back nuh broad again?

And it's not the first time you have had issues with honesty!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And it's not the first time you have had issues with honesty!
                              Really? Yuh think because yuh mek stupid claims, I'm gonna fall for it? You may be able to easily mislead others here ... not me.

Comment

Working...
                              X