• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is leadership?

What is leadership?

Published: Wednesday | September 9, 2009

Gordon Robinson, Contributor

Robinson
    WE LIKE to blame many of our ills on a lack of leadership. And we are right. But do we really understand what it is that we lack? It has already been established that neither our elected nor appointed leaders know how to lead but what of the rest of us who so badly want leaders but choose politicians instead?

So, one Saturday afternoon in 1976, during a lull in the domino game, I asked Dr S. Blank what he thought leadership was.

"Look 'ere," he replied, "Me is a senior lecturer at de university. Me read a German bwoy name Max Weber. Him 'ave it sey dere is t'ree type a leader. But me sey dat a leader, whichever one, mus' inspire we to work 'ard and sacrifice."

"So, you want Weber's Charismatic Leader then?"

"Yuh know, fi a bright bwoy, you don't listen too good," Blank scowled, "Me neva sey nuttin 'bout charism. A leader mus' inspire."

"But," Upsetter piped up, "What if he can inspire but can't perform? Who you prefer, Michael or Norman? Busta or Blinds?"

"Remember," Gene Autry explained, "Weber divided leadership into three categories - charismatic, traditional and legal-beaurocratic. Charisma is one thing. Look what it did for the Kennedys. One day in the 23rd century, charisma might even get a black man elected president of the Uited States (howls of laughter). But charisma alone can't eat."

Dessie takes over
    Suddenly, Dessie, the best of the players, came under pressure. "What you doing Dessie?" was the frustrated cry from his partner, The Beast, "Is me go two five and you cut off me five?"

"Pardy," Dessie responded patiently, "If you have double-five and swing two-five, you better know 'ow you it a go go. So, once Poop here lick one end, me a go lick di odder end. One ting me know, double-five can't win if it dead eenna Little D han'. All I'm doing is showing you whey it dey and now we can work on killing it together."

And so it was that Dessie became the leader. Afterwards, we used his strategy whenever we could. Around the domino table, we learnt the one-word meaning of leadership - example. Citizens 'follow' the leader, subjects 'obey' the monarch.

Many years ago, an urgent document had to be served at a lawyer's office a half mile from mine. Days later, it still languished on my Secretary's desk. On enquiry, she reported that our clerk had demanded taxi fare to deliver the document. I walked to the lawyer's office, served the document and walked back. I sent for the clerk and updated him. "So, you see," I said, "I can do your job. But, if I must do your job, then I don't need you." He quickly became our best employee.

Years ago, for my sins, I was appointed to chair the Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission. Uninvited, I joined an inspector on his Saturday tour of rural Jamaica, inspecting betting shops. As we walked the hot streets of the hilly interior's small towns, sharing the inspecting and recording chores, a similar, but this time silent, message was sent and received. The staff's response was immediate and exemplary.

Leadership is example
    Leaders set the tone. They do not depend on a commanding tone.
    Leadership is example. George Price, as prime minister of Belize, frequently took the bus to work and operated out of a simple office furnished with wooden benches and ceiling fans.

Leadership is example.
    The National Water
    Commission has imposed the most stringent water restrictions in decades. When I am driving my unwashed 1992 Cressida on the roads and I am overtaken by a convoy of siren-screaming motorcycles, followed by a limousine transporting some political bigwig, I expect it to be equally unwashed. As I enter my humble abode that must do without even a coat of paint, it would certainly inspire me to what Audley Shaw has called "shared sacrifice" to know that $50 million has not been spent refurbishing any minister's residence.

Leadership is example.
    As a crowded Half-Way Tree watches Usain Bolt outclass the world in Berlin, ought it to be seeing BOTH 'Babsy' Grange and Ed Bartlett waving redundant Jamaican flags? How much did that cost? How did Jamaica benefit from their sabbatical? And how many free places in primary school could be provided for the same cost?

But, we must dream on. Because, in real life, Leaders don't lead. They command. And we must do as they say not as they do!
    Peace and love.

Gordon Robinson is an attorney at law. Feedback may be sent to columns@gleanerjm.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Good!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
    X