No announcement yet.

For Gamma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuh mean a jus fi show dem a deport wan likle bit a man?
    Politricks?!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I thought that is what I said. It is not practical nor sensible to deport them all.

But to follow your main argument about cheap labour, it seems like you would not mind always having a sizable amount of illegals so you can afford to employ them. Sounds a bit like the slaveowners saying they couldn't run a profitable farm without slave labour. Neither is true, in the case of illegals a good temporary worker program could work, and even if that means they can demand somewhat higher wages for then good for them!

My main issue is not with deportation, it is with how to deal with those who decided to go round the system. There should be some price to pay for that, otherwise we should all just go round the system.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        I thought that is what I said. It is not practical nor sensible to deport them all.

But to follow your main argument about cheap labour, it seems like you would not mind always having a sizable amount of illegals so you can afford to employ them. Sounds a bit like the slaveowners saying they couldn't run a profitable farm without slave labour. Neither is true, in the case of illegals a good temporary worker program could work, and even if that means they can demand somewhat higher wages for then good for them!

My main issue is not with deportation, it is with how to deal with those who decided to go round the system. There should be some price to pay for that, otherwise we should all just go round the system.
        It is an issue that has implications that touch many different areas.

It even impacts competitiveness of some exports. ...and internally whether or not jobs would be lost. For example, companies having to move to other parts of the world outside of the USA to maintain competitive edge...

...and whether loss of this cheap labour force would mean importation of some of what we currently manufacture for local consumption.

The answer, I think, is to manage the inflows...control that inflow so as not to adversely disrupt the economy.

All the anti-immigration talk is merely the 'politics of power'...anything to influence voting blocks to 'my side'. How the Democrats on one hand and the GOP on the other can articulate their message to tug at heartstrings/emotions and move voting blocks to thier side.

NB: I think when we were discussing this topic last year mention was made of farmers & their farms moving to Brazil - I think soya beans and corn were two products mentioned.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X