• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker pleads for more efficient business practices

Walker pleads for more efficient business practices

Published: Thursday | September 10, 2009

Walker
    Businesses importing cargo could see increased efficiencies at the wharves effective October 1.

Commissioner of Customs Danville Walker pledged Tuesday that Customs would cut delays for businesses importing material by fast-tracking the process at the wharves.

Addressing small and medium-size enterprise businesspersons at a workshop organised by Scotiabank in St Andrew Tuesday, Walker gave the assurance that it would not be business as usual.

He conceded that importers sometimes experience long delays in processing their cargo due to issues concerning valuation.
    However, he said Customs would now take a different approach to speeding up this procedure.

"Once it (cargo) passes and you pay go get your cargo, before you even reach the wharf I can be checking the entry if I want, I can check values if I want because Customs has two years to come back to you and say this value is wrong. So if I have two years why am I holding you up for two days?" he said.

The Customs head said he was struggling to change the mindset of many customs officers who were not seized with the urgency to facilitate local businesses.

Walker said the public should demand better services from public servants and politicians.

He encouraged government agencies and departments to provide a business-friendly environment for the private sector to operate effectively as the engine of growth in the economy.
    "We are paying taxes in this country and we must demand better services," he insisted.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X