• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Kingston Hatbour!Sulphuric acid spill at Kingston Harbo

Fish killed - Humans warned to stay away
    BY PETRE WILLIAMS-RAYNOR Environment editor williamsp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, September 13, 2009
    A sulphuric acid spill, affecting more than three kilometres of the Kingston Harbour shoreline, has left fish dead and prompted a warning from the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) for humans to stay away.
    LEE... I am very disturbed to hear about it
    "We don't know how far this thing will spread before it is diluted, and so we just want to put out a general alert for people to stay away from the area," director general of ODPEM Ronald Jackson told the Sunday Observer. "(The fish killed) was enough for the team to be quite concerned and for a team to go to sea to see how far out the adverse conditions existed. The feedback is that there was quite a bit of irritation to the nose and eyes from the marine police team."
    The spill, he said occurred on Friday between 11:00 pm and 1:00 m on Friday night from a container at Berth One, of the harbour, on property owned by the Industrial Chemical Company (ICC).
    It prompted the involvement of a joint response team from ODPEM, the Fire Brigade, the National Environment and Planning Agency and the Marine Police, as well as the ICC.
    The full details of the spill was, up to yesterday, not immediately clear. But ODPEM said close to 300 tonnes of Sulphuric Acid were released into the sea.
    "Our initial information suggests that there was a valve which was not fully secured from which the product flowed into the ICC property onto adjoining properties and into a nearby gully way which led out to the sea," said Jackson. "As to how this occurred, we don't have the full details. The investigation is still being conducted, both by the ICC team and the joint response team. We are still trying to go through the information and finalise that."
    NEPA said last night that water near the Greenwich Town Fishing Village was still highly acidic, and warned members of the public to stay away. But beyond not taking a dip in the water, Jackson warned Jamaicans not to harvest or eat fish from the affected area. People will be told when it is safe to do so, he said.
    "The NEPA guys and probably the Ministry of Health and the guys who do water testing will probably do water samples and we will see," Jackson said.
    As to the clean-up efforts, Jackson said: "For the on-land component, they used marl which neutralised the product on land and then they took that to the landfill to dispose of. On water, what we know is that water usually dilutes the product (chemical)."
    "It is very difficulty for sulphuric acid to be contained using the traditional oil spill equipment like your booms and so on. So what the team advised was that they were looking at the possibility of it being naturally diluted by the sea. However, that has not gone as quickly as we anticipated. That is why we are advising people not to go there until the process is done," the ODPEM boss added.
    Meanwhile, environmental lobbyists said the spill and its effects on marine and human life was a wake up call to take better care of the environment.
    "This is very serious, whether it is diluted or concentrated sulphuric acid," said Peter Espeut, former head of the Caribbean Coastal Area Management Foundation and the holder of a first degree in Chemistry. "If it is concentrated it is worse. When concentrated sulphuric acid hits water it generates a lot of heat. Sulphuric acid is very corrosive. If you, for example, have a boat or a metal-hull ship and the spill took place around the ship, the ship would more than likely sink. It would bore a hole in the ship - if it is concentrated. Maybe the good news is that there is not much alive in Kingston Harbour anymore."
    Still, he said that the company responsible ought to be held accountable.
    "I am very disturbed to hear about it," said Wendy Lee, president of the Northern Jamaica Conservation Association.
    "We need to pay more attention to the protection of the environment. We are not paying enough attention. I am numb almost to hearing all the destruction I see and hear about. It seems like all our efforts over the years to raise awareness and to get the Government to take environmental protection seriously have been fruitless," she added.
    "Poor Kingston Harbour," was the immediate response of Diana McCaulay, executive director of the Jamaica Environment Trust, when contacted for comment yesterday. "What is there to say? We just don't pay attention to these things. It sounds like an accident but accidents are sometimes very serious."
    She suggested that the incident ought to be seen as an opportunity to once again put the spotlight on the long polluted Kingston Harbour and its potential for contributing significantly to Jamaica's socio-economic development.
    "Kingston Harbour has been studied to death and the biggest type of pollution is sewage. There was an economic evaluation done on what Kingston harbour would be worth if it was restored, including livelihoods and recreation and it was hundreds of millions of dollars. So a restored Kingston Harbour has great economic benefit and we just don't seem to be able to get around to doing that," McCaulay told the Sunday Observer.
    As to Friday night's spill, she said greater care needed to be taken to store hazardous material.
    "In terms of containers storing hazardous material, they should always be in some bunded area, which is like a little hill. So you put it around the area where you have hazardous material so if there is spill, it is contained in that area. That should be a standard part of any port operation. Spills do happen, and what you want to do is contain them," she said.

Maudib - what is your Gov. doing about this? Almost 300 tonnes of sulphuric acid in the KIN harbour...this was not a used-car salesman who did this....or sm innercity youth....who is responsible??? Where is the outrage from the Minister responsible for the Environment????

As a matter of fact, I shouldn't single you out alone (oh great defender) but it is interesting that we all talk about fiscal policy, negative growth rates, PNP/JLP, Obama, UK Diplomat gay murderer yaada yaada....but tonnes of sulphuric acid in the sea....no problem...business as usual.

Comment

Chemical company to report on acid spill today

2009-09-15 08:58:05 | (0 Comments)
      The management of Industrial Chemical Company Jamaica Limited is today expected to submit a report to the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) about Friday’s acid spill at its [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]storage [COLOR=blue! important]facility[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

About of 300 tonnes of sulphuric from the chemical company was leaked into the Kingston Harbour.

The spillage resulted in the deaths of numerous fish and affected other marine life.

Yesterday, NEPA served a Breach Notice on the chemical company having confirmed the acid leak from the entity’s storage facility.

Under the terms of the Breach Notice, Industrial Chemical has 30 days in which to construct an embankment or a dyke at the facility.

NEPA says it intends to take further action against the entity under the Natural Resources Conservation Act and the Wildlife Protection Act.

Meanwhile, NEPA says it has convened a four-member team to assess the coastline along the Kingston Harbour to identify other companies in breach.

The Opposition wants a public enquiry into the cause of the spill, the measures to avoid a recurrence and the compensation due to those affected.

The opposition also says its not convinced that the acid is now neutralised and that things are back to normal.

Comment

Companies to get permit to use hazardous substances near Kgn Harbour Tuesday, 15 September 2009 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }The authorities are getting tough on companies which use hazardous substances along the Kingston Harbour.

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }The National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) has formed a four member team to conduct a scan of the coastline and identify entities which trade in dangerous substances.

When the investigation is completed, these companies will be required to apply for permits in order to conduct activities near the Harbour.

NEPA's plans were outlined Monday night in a statement and followed complaints by environmentalists that not enough is being done to address incidents of pollution in the Kingston Harbour.

And details are expected to emerge Tuesday on the cause of last weekend's sulphuric acid spill in the Harbour as Industrial Chemical Company, which has been blamed for the accident, is to provide a report to NEPA.

The report is to outline the circumstances which led to acid entering the sea.

NEPA will use the report to determine if any action should be taken against the company.

Three hundred tonnes of sulphuric acid was accidentally released into the sea from a container in the vicinity of Berth 1 at Port Bustamante on Friday night.

NEPA has served a breach notice on the management of Industrial Chemical Company giving it 30 days to construct an embankment close to its [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]storage [COLOR=blue! important]facility[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to prevent future dangerous spills.

Compensation for those affected says Clarke

In the meantime, the Opposition is demanding that an enquiry be held into what led to the spill and compensation be made to fisher folk whose livelihood have been affected.

In a joint statement issued Monday night, Portia Simpson Miller, People's National Party (PNP) President and Roger Clarke, Spokesman on Agriculture said they were not pleased with the authorities' response to the incident.

The PNP officials added that NEPA's assurance that the situation in the Kingston Harbour had returned to normal is unconvincing.

Mr. Clarke asserted that marine life in the Harbour has been greatly affected and there was no word from the authorities whether the culprits will be penalized.

"Some level of compensation must be afforded to those people because they have been affected in a very, very negative way and some more attention must be paid to Kingston Harbour as the pollution is becoming unbearable. Those people who are responsible for causing these problems must come to the table and must be penalized for such actions," he said.

Fish not safe to eat

And the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is advising the public that the extent of the fish kill in the Kingston Harbour is still not known.

Since the sulphuric acid spill on Friday night, hundreds of fish have been seen floating in the sea.

Ronald Jackson, Director General of ODPEM says investigations are being hampered by scavengers eating the fish.

Mr. Jackson advised that until NEPA says otherwise, users of the Harbour should stay close to shore for activities such as fishing and swimming.

"You can fish but we don't know how much of the residual effects still exist in the aquatic life. Fish may have come and consumed diluted amount of the substance, we're not sure and we don't know how far out at sea these have spread," he said.

Mr. Jackson speaking with on RJR's daily current affairs programme Beyond the Headlines on Monday.

He also warned the public not try to peddle the dead fish until all the tests are concluded.

Comment

Would think the 'progressives' on this site would hound this very unfortunate topic with the expected 'lip-service'.......

I am still coming to grips with the volume spilled. 300 Tons of H2SO4(!!!???) damn!!!.

The Jamaican system of leadership is extremely poor in all areas.

About 4 weeks ago I drove to Sav-la-mar. One of the places I checked out was a very small beach my friends and i used to swim as kids. We called the place Black House.

My heart fell at seeing the complete destruction of the vibrant reef system that was in place when i frequented that spot.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Still waiting on the result of what caused the killing of the fish that washed up on shore in Black River.

MP Mosiah promised to furnish pictures to share with this forum.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I sent the pictures to the relevant authorities. Last I checked, you were neither!

If the relevant authorities would like to share them with the massive, he may do so, giving the appropriate credit, of course!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I use to be a member of the environmental club, lobbied the Government for years with no success...

Is Jamaica trying to compete with Costa Rica?
              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Ahm, HL, what is H2S04?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Just another post that they can't put the Spin or Twist on. I bet they are cooking up a spin that it was under Michael admin that Cross the Harbor stop due to polution eeeheehhh.

They should start cleaninig up the harbors of Jamaica, I man use to see man a Sea Lick at Cement Pier, dive fi money a Victoria Pier, bathe a Gun Boat...

Comment

I just made it up!

Oh and the !!!??? is my amazement of the volume ----and questioning the 300 ton.

300 ton of H2S04 Mosiah is a helluva lot. the damage will be far reaching...
                    Last edited by HL; September 15, 2009, 04:07 PM.
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                    X