Jamaican-Born U.S. Women's 400 Metres Champ, Sanya Richards,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican-Born U.S. Women's 400 Metres Champ, Sanya Richards,

Jamaican-Born U.S. Women's 400 Metres Champ, Sanya Richards, Helps Local Kids

Minister of Education, the Hon Andrew Holness, has appealed to top-flight Jamaican athletes to use their celebrity status to leverage support for the education system.

"I think that is the greatest investment that you could make in the development of your own country, and when you do that you will be ensuring that the country from which you came will be the country of choice.to live, work and raise our families," he stated.

Mr. Holness was speaking Monday (November 9) at the launch of the third annual Fun 4 Kidz Sanya Richards Fast Track programme, at the Kingston High School, downtown Kingston. The after-school programme combines literacy and extra-curricular activities, and is mainly sponsored by Jamaican-born U.S. 400 metres champion, Sanya Richards.

The programme started out targeting Kingston High, but this year Bridgeport, Tarrant, Tivoli, Donald Quarrie and Penwood high schools have been brought in.

Minister of Education, Hon Andrew Holness (second left); Jamaican-born U.S. 400 metres champion, Sanya Richards (left); Special Assistant to the Minister of Education, Robert Miller (second right); and author of the book Jamaican Athletics: A Model for 2012 and Beyond, Patrick Robinson, discuss the book during the launch of the third Fun 4 Kidz Sanya Richards Fast Track programme, at Kingston High School on Monday (November 9). The book is to be used to stimulate reading in the programme.

The Education Ministry is a partner in the programme, and Mr. Holness said the concept of marrying literacy and sports was laudable, and that he was extremely pleased with the outcome so far.

"I reviewed the report given to me on the project and I gather that you have improved at least 55 per cent of students that have participated in the programme to one grade level or more, from where they were in terms of reading," he explained.

Principal of Kingston High, Charles Reid, said that two years ago some of the students were unable to participate at Boys' and Girls' Champs, because of poor academic records. However, after six months under the programme, 12 of them were able to enter events at the last championships.

Three hundred and seventy five students are to benefit from this year's programme, up from 55 when it started.

Jamaican-born U.S. 400 metres champion, Sanya Richards (second left), shaking hands with one of the participants in the Fun 4 Kidz Sanya Richards Fast Track programme and Kingston High School student, Carl Richards, during the launch of the third installment of the progamme at the school, Monday (November 9). Also seated at the table are (left to right): United States sprint champion, Lauryn Williams (left); Minister of Education, Hon Andrew Holness (second right); and Special Assistant to the Minister of Education, Robert Miller.

Miss Richards said that she was very proud to be associated with the initiative, and encouraged the students to dream big.

"I remember running as a little kid and having a big vision, and I want to tell you that anything is possible. As long as you have the opportunities and take advantage of them, listen to your teachers.take direction, finish up school and just dream big," she encouraged.

Sanya Richards was born in Jamaica in 1985, but moved to Florida with her parents in 1997. She became a U.S. citizen in 2002 and has been representing that country internationally since. She has won two Olympic Gold medals- 2004 and 2008 - in the Women's 4x400 relays. She won the gold medal in the 400 metres at this year's IAAF World Athletic Championships in Berlin.

Jamaican-born U.S. 400 metres champion, Sanya Richards (centre), photographed with students of Kingston High School, at the launch of the third Fun 4 Kidz Sanya Richards Fast Track programme, at the school on Monday (November 9).

Also supporting the launch were United States' Olympic 100 metres silver medallist (2004) and 4-time World Championship medallist (4x400 metres relay), Lauryn Williams, and her parents; as well as authors Patrick Robinson and Kellie Magnus, whose books on sports will be used in the programme.

http://www.jis.gov.jm/education/html...LOCAL_KIDS.asp
    Last edited by Karl; November 12, 2009, 09:10 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Lauryn and Sanya have been so gracious and...nice.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

God Bless America..

Comment

Gwan do your thing Sanya. Nuh watch those who try to lynch you just because you're running for the US!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

This is all good:

The problem is that the Jamaican system of government (and leadership) [is] not designed to sustain the promises and hope made at this event.

As soon as this event was over--so too are the good intentions. I have seen this before.

Personal Note: It warms my heart to see the fresh, bright healthy faces of these students with so much potential. The weak point is the Jamaican approach to government and leadership. Makes me wanna
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Agreed!!

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
            Gwan do your thing Sanya. Nuh watch those who try to lynch you just because you're running for the US!
            Sanya Richards has never turned her back on Jamaica, and in particular her alma mater!! In fact, the final post I made on the Caribbean Track and Field Forum, after several years of regular postings there, was a detailed defense of Sanya in the face of narrow-minded criticisms by misled Jamaicans on that message board. (I am aware that she also has vicious, hateful critics here on the Reggae Boyz Forum.)

I was slightly amused, and tempted to respond, when the track and field poster Reggae Irie 1234, Sanya’s most virulent critic on the Caribbean Track and Field Forum, earlier this year confessed to not feeling any special loyalty to Jamaica. (I was so amused that I nearly broke my self-imposed exile from that message board in order to respond to him!) Yet, it is posters such as Reggae Irie who criticize a young woman who, at a young age, followed the wishes of one of her parents to represent the USA.

But I won’t revisit that situation. My only reason for posting in this thread is to suggest to readers here that they should not be surprised by Sanya’s patriotic actions, because she’s more Jamaican than many of the effing idiots who boo her at track and field meets!!

Comment

Clap har!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
              X