• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast from the past: The Lion of Judah visits Jamaica

.... descendant of King Solomon & Sheba...check it

...of course he had to vist and pay his respects to Jamaica College
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Which old school dancehall fan remember dis tune by Early B.

It was the year 1966.....
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K92qD...eature=related
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Riddim!!

Yow...yuh neva si mi post pon Kiva & dem worries?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

No me neva see your post , just searched for it and read it. I have been aware of the controversy though.

I agree that it is misleading in the way they present the borrower-lender relationship. I am sure the reason they promote it that way it is that people have more of an emotional attachment to the individual lender than to the MFI institution but still it raises doubts in peoples minds.

It was never something they were totally hiding because from early on I read on a Kiva forum where some lenders asked why the loan disbursment dates were at times earlier than the date the funds were raised and the response was that if the microfinance institution (MFI) had money on hand they would lend it to the borrower and then use the Kiva funds reimburse thier loan pool, so clearly you were really lending to the microfinance institution (MFI). So from then I started looking more at the profile of the MFI and the type of loans they made than the actual loan I was theoretically funding.

Its not too big a deal for me, probably because I was aware of it, but I can see how thier credibility would come into be question by handling it the way they do. I would prefer they just say that it is not practical to lend one-to-one but here are the individuals that get loans from this particular MFI you are funding.

Comment

Suh ah nuh dem train di pilot ?

Comment

Excellent, thanks Don1, JC visit and all.

I have two questions that came to mind as I watched.

1. Is Rastafari pre-Reggae (est - 1970) stronger than it is post the classical Reggae period (est end 1985).

2. If number 1 is true, then could it be that the bottomline impact of Reggae actually hurt the long term growth of the Rasta movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                No me neva see your post , just searched for it and read it. I have been aware of the controversy though.

I agree that it is misleading in the way they present the borrower-lender relationship. I am sure the reason they promote it that way it is that people have more of an emotional attachment to the individual lender than to the MFI institution but still it raises doubts in peoples minds.

It was never something they were totally hiding because from early on I read on a Kiva forum where some lenders asked why the loan disbursment dates were at times earlier than the date the funds were raised and the response was that if the microfinance institution (MFI) had money on hand they would lend it to the borrower and then use the Kiva funds reimburse thier loan pool, so clearly you were really lending to the microfinance institution (MFI). So from then I started looking more at the profile of the MFI and the type of loans they made than the actual loan I was theoretically funding.

Its not too big a deal for me, probably because I was aware of it, but I can see how thier credibility would come into be question by handling it the way they do. I would prefer they just say that it is not practical to lend one-to-one but here are the individuals that get loans from this particular MFI you are funding.
                Understood...the devil is always in the details.

As long as the money ultimately goes to help needy people...that's what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                  Excellent, thanks Don1, JC visit and all.

I have two questions that came to mind as I watched.

1. Is Rastafari pre-Reggae (est - 1970) stronger than it is post the classical Reggae period (est end 1985).

2. If number 1 is true, then could it be that the bottomline impact of Reggae actually hurt the long term growth of the Rasta movement.
                  I don't know that reggae per se has hurt the development of Rastafari.

I would be more inclined to argue that the accelerated cultural degradation of Jamaica under our political and private sector leadership over the past 40 odd years has negatively affected almost every aspect of Jamaican life....including both reggae and Rastafari.

The music is a medium that both reflects and by its power... spreads the degradation....but it is not the cause....the cause lies in the people...most especially our so called leaders.

Respek

Comment

Well, I was looking for an answer to the first question before the second, because after watching the documentary, I thought that Rastafari seemed especially strong in the film, much more so than I thought was the case, of course I was born mid 60's so no real practical on the ground understanding of that period and while in reading various books on the development of Rasta from Howell and pre-Howell days (1930's) Rasta in my mind truly evolved into a new level of consciouness in the 70's , but after seeing this film in it's entirety I am forced to reconsider my preconceived notions on the Rasta movement; the feel and the essence of Rasta in this film is very strong and I search to think of any other time where this strength was captured in film in a spontaneous type of emotional response as we see in this film, that was stronger than this 60's visit and I cannot think of any such response.

Which leads me to think that though Reggae was like a steroid on the development of Rasta culture, could it be that it force riped the Rasta fruit and we now see the weak harvest today due to that accelerated maturation, thus the success of Reggae, the monetary rewards, the praise, the acdceptance, destroyed the very fabric of struggle of sacrifice, of the focus away from material desire. I fullly agree that the cultural degradation of Jamaica via weak political, business leadership, weak and withering social institutions has led to an infiltration of a base material culture that now rules the Jakan roost and which we cannot seem to shake, nor find the will to challenge. Anyway, the documentary really opened up my mind on this issue, thanks for that, I have seen clips before, but never the entire thing and I was really surprised by what seemed to be the whole emotional outburst across the country to the visit of Selassie.

I would love to hear from people like Karl and others who experienced the 60's in a more practical manner.

Comment

Working...
                    X