• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mento beats get documented

good work

Mento beats get documented

Published: Friday | November 27, 2009

Howard Campbell, Gleaner Writer

Members of the Joy Makers Mento Band perform at Walkerswood Pepper Farm in July 2006. - File
    Mento music, the folk beat some musicologists consider Jamaica's first popular sound, is the subject of a documentary being produced by British film-maker Rick Elgood. Hot Pepper, the name of the project, is scheduled to be released in early 2010.
    Elgood told The Gleaner last week that Hot Pepper is close to a wrap after almost one year of production.
    "There has never been a documentary on mento, so when I got a chance to do it I jumped," said Elgood. "We've gone around the country interviewing mento bands and done research going back to people like Slim and Sam."
    Hot Pepper is funded by Bill Monsted, an American real-estate developer from New Orleans, Louisiana, whose interest in mento goes back to his childhood visits to Jamaica.
    "He came back (to Jamaica) as an adult and saw the same mento bands in the hotels he used to stay, and thought it would be really nice to do something about their music," Elgood explained. "That's when he contacted me."
    To date, Elgood has interviewed several stalwart units such as the Blue Glaze Mento Band from Clarendon and the Lititz Mento Band out of St Elizabeth. He also discussed with young mento bands how they relate to a beat that is fast becoming obsolete.
    Elgood also interviewed persons versed in Jamaican folk forms: former Jamaican Prime Minister Edward Seaga, musician Marjorie Whylie and musicologist Garth White.
    First mento stars
    Music historians regard the travelling duo of Slim and Sam as the first mento stars. They took their act throughout Jamaica during the 1930s and 1940s and even had a hit song in Sly Mongoose.
    Mento performers like Count Lasher, Lord Flea and Lord Fly were popular recording artistes during the late 1940s and early 1950s. But by the early 1960s, they gave way to a more hip beat called ska and were largely relegated to hotel porches.
    In the 1970s, the mento got a lifeline through Stanley Beckford, a genial singer who once performed with the Blue Glaze Band. Most of Beckford's hit songs, including Brown Gal, Kisiloo and Shaving Cream, had a distinct mento feel.
    "We do look at Stanley, but the thing about him was that he was really a reggae singer who had a fantastic mento voice," Elgood said.
    Born in Yorkshire, north England, Elgood says he was drawn to Jamaican popular culture during the 1970s when roots-reggae struck a chord with British youth. He is best known as director of the 1995 low budget film Dancehall Queen.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Elgood also interviewed persons versed in Jamaican folk forms: former Jamaican Prime Minister Edward Seaga, musician Marjorie Whylie and musicologist Garth White

Garth White is mi uncle-in-law

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

We continue to allow aliens to tell our stories

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      good work

Mento beats get documented

Published: Friday | November 27, 2009

Howard Campbell, Gleaner Writer

Members of the Joy Makers Mento Band perform at Walkerswood Pepper Farm in July 2006. - File
      Mento music, the folk beat some musicologists consider Jamaica's first popular sound, is the subject of a documentary being produced by British film-maker Rick Elgood. Hot Pepper, the name of the project, is scheduled to be released in early 2010.
      Elgood told The Gleaner last week that Hot Pepper is close to a wrap after almost one year of production.
      "There has never been a documentary on mento, so when I got a chance to do it I jumped," said Elgood. "We've gone around the country interviewing mento bands and done research going back to people like Slim and Sam."
      Hot Pepper is funded by Bill Monsted, an American real-estate developer from New Orleans, Louisiana, whose interest in mento goes back to his childhood visits to Jamaica.
      "He came back (to Jamaica) as an adult and saw the same mento bands in the hotels he used to stay, and thought it would be really nice to do something about their music," Elgood explained. "That's when he contacted me."
      To date, Elgood has interviewed several stalwart units such as the Blue Glaze Mento Band from Clarendon and the Lititz Mento Band out of St Elizabeth. He also discussed with young mento bands how they relate to a beat that is fast becoming obsolete.
      Elgood also interviewed persons versed in Jamaican folk forms: former Jamaican Prime Minister Edward Seaga, musician Marjorie Whylie and musicologist Garth White.
      First mento stars
      Music historians regard the travelling duo of Slim and Sam as the first mento stars. They took their act throughout Jamaica during the 1930s and 1940s and even had a hit song in Sly Mongoose.
      Mento performers like Count Lasher, Lord Flea and Lord Fly were popular recording artistes during the late 1940s and early 1950s. But by the early 1960s, they gave way to a more hip beat called ska and were largely relegated to hotel porches.
      In the 1970s, the mento got a lifeline through Stanley Beckford, a genial singer who once performed with the Blue Glaze Band. Most of Beckford's hit songs, including Brown Gal, Kisiloo and Shaving Cream, had a distinct mento feel.
      "We do look at Stanley, but the thing about him was that he was really a reggae singer who had a fantastic mento voice," Elgood said.
      Born in Yorkshire, north England, Elgood says he was drawn to Jamaican popular culture during the 1970s when roots-reggae struck a chord with British youth. He is best known as director of the 1995 low budget film Dancehall Queen.
      I have a friend who is a noted documentary producer ...a Jamaican based in New York.

She has been working on a mento documentary for at least 3 years. It's like pulling teeth to get ANY support (forget about financing!) out of Jamaican sources.....

.....but they all run to the alien to support them telling our stories.

Backward mentality.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Good luck to your brethren.

The fact is your friend maybe continue a foriegner too by some.
        Too many times we don't save or document our own. We can complain when foriegner take it over we will not invest in these ventures.

We will not even use very basic formats to save it. How can all the archives of shows at JBC be lost? How can the biggest collector of Marley stuff be in Cali? and the list continue. We need to value our history a little bit more.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I see where the colector genes come from. I use to give you credit but could it be the wisdom of the other half rub off on you?

Comment

Assasin;200934]Good luck to your brethren.
            my sistren

The fact is your friend maybe continue a foriegner too by some
            I guess you mean "considered a foreigner"?
            If so...... if one is a Jamaican...that fact does not change with one's geography.

Too many times we don't save or document our own. We can complain when foriegner take it over we will not invest in these ventures.

We should complain.... not abusing the foreigner..but calling attention to our own deficiencies.

We will not even use very basic formats to save it. How can all the archives of shows at JBC be lost? How can the biggest collector of Marley stuff be in Cali? and the list continue. We need to value our history a little bit more.
            Prescisely my point.
            Last edited by Don1; November 27, 2009, 02:55 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

These three gentlemen perfom(ed) on Sundays in the lobby of Breezes Runaway Bay. Whenever I checked in on Sunday, that was the first thing I noticed.

Comment

How can the biggest collector of Marley stuff be in Cali?
                He charges about $15/person at his events, memorabilia can be bought, and he also shows a 30 minute movie on the life of Marley.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Don you can pick it apart but I am saying we need to save our history.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Don you can pick it apart but I am saying we need to save our history.
                    I agree....with emphasis being on the "we"

Comment

ah bwoy! mi nuh haffi draw fi dat yet...anyway...mi a encourage him fi write......di man have a wealth of personal knowledge of some things iyah...of being there at the time......mi a tell yuh!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

keep on encouraging him. We need it.

Comment

Working...
                        X