Mo see if you can help me out here:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo see if you can help me out here:

Did you recall when Dr.Gomes (with the then opposition) went to England to fight against the CCJ? She said she was "helping jamaica" then. can you tell me what's her take given the current situation below? Ben you can chime in too. Thanks.

Caribbean court soon?
    If Cabinet approves, UK Privy Council will be replaced
    BY GARFIELD MYERS Editor-at-Large South/Central Bureau myersg@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, November 28, 2009
    MANDEVILLE, Manchester - The Government is closer to a decision on whether to replace the United Kingdom-based Privy Council with the controversial Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) as the nation's final court of appeal, an administration official disclosed.
    Nelson... sought to reinforce the message that both Government and Opposition were working closely to combat crime through legislative and other measures.
    National Security Minister Dwight Nelson told a packed hall during a Crime Forum at the Golf View Hotel here Thursday night that a sub-committee of Cabinet, chaired by the deputy prime minister, had been set up to examine the "status of the Caribbean Court of Justice".
    Once the sub-committee's report was received, Nelson said, "Cabinet will then make a decision as to the Government's position on the Caribbean Court of Justice. If that decision is to embrace the Caribbean Court of Justice, then the Privy Council will be replaced."
    Should the Bruce Golding-led Government support the switch to the CCJ, it would represent a major about face from its period in Opposition when it stridently opposed such efforts by the then People's National Party (PNP) Government.
    In 2005, Golding's Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), in partnership with rights groups, successfully challenged the setting up of the CCJ as Jamaica's highest court when the Privy Council ruled that such a move would be unconstitutional without endorsement from a referendum or a two-thirds majority in both houses of the Jamaican Parliament.
    The JLP claimed at the time that the Court ruling was a victory for justice and the rights of citizens. "We feel that it is more than just a vindication of the position taken by the Jamaica Labour Party. It is indeed a vindication of the rights of the Jamaican people," Golding was quoted as saying at the time.
    With the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) continued insistence that the CCJ is the way to go, a turn-about by the JLP would presumably guarantee the required two-thirds majority in Parliament.
    Both Nelson and a trio of prominent PNP parliamentarians at the forum - Peter Bunting, the Opposition spokesman on security and the brothers, Dean and Michael Peart - sought to reinforce the message that Government and Opposition were working closely to combat crime through legislative and other measures.
    Jamaica's maintenance of the UK-based Privy Council as its final appellate court has come under increasing pressure in recent months, following a statement by Lord Nicholas Phillips, the president of the UK Supreme Court, that the law lords were spending a "disproportionate" amount of time on cases from former colonies, especially the Caribbean.
    Currently the appellate jurisdiction of the four-year-old CCJ is limited to Barbados and Guyana, while Jamaica has acceded to its trade provisions for purposes of resolving possible trade disputes.
    The 1998 Pratt and Morgan ruling by the British Privy Council that those held on death row for five years or more must have their death sentences commuted fuelled the drive in the Caribbean to set up its highest court.
    Inevitably on Thursday night, the non-implementation of the death penalty was a central issue at the crime forum. And Nelson made it clear that he was anxious to have the death penalty for convicted capital murderers resumed.
    There have been no State-sanctioned hangings of convicted murderers in Jamaica since 1988 and while the Jamaican Parliament voted in favour of keeping the death penalty on the law books late last year, there is still no indication of a resumption.
    The minister told impatient members of the audience on Thursday night that the appeals process in conjunction with the time limitations of the Pratt and Morgan ruling had made it difficult.
    "The one way to deal with that is to do as one other Caribbean country has done and that is to change the Jamaican law," Nelson said.
    "I know Peter (Bunting) that I will be talking to you about that, because we have to make sure that if you are there for more than five years that we still have the right to hang.
    "There were about six people on death row up to recently and because five of them pass the five-year limit, their sentences have been commuted to life. Only one person now below the five-year limit that is eligible to hang (and) believe you me, I am dying to hang one of them." Nelson said to loud applause.
    Nelson later told the Observer that he had formed the impression that lawyers representing convicted murderers were frustrating the process.
    "Sometimes it is deliberate on the part of the condemned person and their representative," Nelson said. "Sometimes the process is drawn out, sometimes they wait to lodge the appeal and this allows for the expiration of the five-year limit and it is something we are going to have to look at to ensure that appeals are lodged timely and dealt with expeditiously," the minister said.

i'm still against the CCJ at this time, not because we do not have the jurists who are capable or even f it is to recruit the best available jusists from where ever, but i am concerned amongst otherthings about the perception of corruption.

but back to the issue at hand, my own observation is that the issue was not about the CCJ per se (which admittedly is my issue) but rather about the constitutionality of it becoming jamaica's final court of appeal (either by referendum or by constitutional amendment) the uk privy council agreed .... it seemed like another instance of "not being shackled by the law"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

mental slavery at its best

Comment

yes corruption and country political concern is a concern of mine as on trade issues will it be biased towards one country? Can it be stacked?

In major cases like Milwood going up against the government, will it be biased towards the government?

A guess it is going to be trial and error.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good Points, Gamma

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          i'm still against the CCJ at this time, not because we do not have the jurists who are capable or even f it is to recruit the best available jusists from where ever, but i am concerned amongst otherthings about the perception of corruption.

but back to the issue at hand, my own observation is that the issue was not about the CCJ per se (which admittedly is my issue) but rather about the constitutionality of it becoming jamaica's final court of appeal (either by referendum or by constitutional amendment) the uk privy council agreed .... it seemed like another instance of "not being shackled by the law"
          Very relevant points, Gamma ! From what I can recall as well, the reason you gave is the reason why Dr. Gomes (a highly respectable and responsible true Jamaican) went to England.

In my view, however, a possible additional reason, given her ongoing concern with human rights, might have been that she regarded the Privy Council as the best possible final resort for achieving genuinely fair judgment and so was probably concerned about us losing this final bastion (in the face of widespread injustice and corruption in Jamaica). If this latter point is so, then I agree 100 percent with her.

By the way, has anyone pondered the interesting paradox whereby Trinidad & Tobago, which several years ago campaigned hard for and was eventually successful in having the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) seated in Port of Spain, has yet to amend its constitution to recognize the CCJ as its highest court? Despite the grand and successful campaign by the Basdeo Panday government around six or so years ago, the fact remains that today, only two Caribbean countries – Guyana and Barbados – have made the necessary constitutional changes to replace the Privy Council with the CCJ.

In Jamaica’s case, there are individuals who have started clamouring for Jamaica to join the CCJ, with many simply following the PNP lead without understanding several underlying issues. I suspect that the frighteningly high homicide rate is the primary reason for the current clamour (although the CCJ was not set up only to deal with murder appeals, but also with other complex matters such as regional trade, etc.).

The bottom line is that, while the Privy Council is clearly tired of countless cases emanating from Jamaica and the Caribbean, the justices on that court have passed judgment in a thoroughly objective and dispassionate way! I, for one, would be surprised to see a CCJ that is as free from Caribbean political influence as the Privy Council has been over the decades that we’ve depended on it.

Finally, the many innocent (genuinely innocent) Jamaicans who have had their lives spared because of the overturning of ridiculous convictions by Jamaica’s courts, including the Jamaican Court of Appeal, will no doubt agree that the Privy Council will be missed!

Comment

Re" "Mental slavery at its best"

Originally posted by Plush View Post
            mental slavery at its best
            The easiest response for us Jamaicans has often tended to be the “mental slavery” line. However, this situation of making constitutional amendments to replace a high court that has generally functioned in admirable ways and, in the process, delivered balanced judgments for Jamaicans, is not to be taken lightly! ( By the way, you would be very surprised at the number of cases on record of Jamaicans who, having been “set up” by agents of the state in Jamaica, have had their innocence proven by the London court!!)

The rather surprising “No” vote by the people of St Vincent & the Grenadines to Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves’ attempt at amending the constitution of his country to reflect certain “necessary” changes (in his case, the Vincentian Head of State) shows that Caribbean people are still cautious that they don’t “throw out the baby with the bath water”!

Sometimes the “mental slavery” that we so like to enunciate is a result of policies, attitudes and practices of our very own!! Certainly the history of Jamaica since 1962 clearly demonstrates this fact!!!

Comment

Excellent arguments gentlemen (Gamma and sass included) I must say that I you have deepened my understanding of the CCJ and other constitutions within the region. Thanks a lot.

Now lets move to my orginal point: Can you learned minds explain to me why a "highly respectable and responsible true Jamaican" as Dr.Gomes is not at the forefront still fighting to "save" Ja? Afterall this is a human rights issue. One would think that because Dr.Gomes is one of the present leading minds on the island,had she said anything with respect to the CCJ , it would have been aired. Why is Dr.Gomes silent? Why did the JLP have an about turn? A person that champions a cause that they truly believe in has no regard for political change (especially when the cause is not addressed). Who will "save/help" now?

Thanks in advance for addressing the above issue.

The Eternal Learner.

Comment

Difficult To Answer!!

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                Excellent arguments gentlemen (Gamma and sass included) I must say that I you have deepened my understanding of the CCJ and other constitutions within the region. Thanks a lot.

Now lets move to my orginal point: Can you learned minds explain to me why a "highly respectable and responsible true Jamaican" as Dr.Gomes is not at the forefront still fighting to "save" Ja? Afterall this is a human rights issue. One would think that because Dr.Gomes is one of the present leading minds on the island,had she said anything with respect to the CCJ , it would have been aired. Why is Dr.Gomes silent? Why did the JLP have an about turn? A person that champions a cause that they truly believe in has no regard for political change (especially when the cause is not addressed). Who will "save/help" now?
                In the case of Dr. Gomes, you would have to ask her!

However, in the case of the JLP’s seeming about turn, I can suggest two possible reasons:

1. The recent comment by the British high court judge that signaled a loss of patience by Great Britain with its former colonies who continue to add to the heavy workload of the British Privy Council with their seemingly unending cases. Jamaica, with its incredibly high homicide and other violent crime rates, apparently heads the list of regional culprits!

2. The current public pressure for the Jamaican government to stem the high tide of crime, and in particular to resume hanging guilty murderers.

Incidentally, in a post I made some months ago (maybe as far back as late 2008) that crime was Jamaica’s foremost problem, two or three members of the Reggae Boyz Forum intelligentsia strongly rebutted my suggestion by stating that education was the primary problem. Once again, I’m going to state that crime, and NOT education, is Jamaica’s most pressing problem!!!

Developments in education are obviously extremely important, but until the islandwide killing spree is effectively brought under control (and we’re not talking about sh!t figures like 2% or 4% or even 10% here), then nothing else – neither investments nor education, etc. -- will make any meaningful progress!!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                  In the case of Dr. Gomes, you would have to ask her!

However, in the case of the JLP’s seeming about turn, I can suggest two possible reasons:

1. The recent comment by the British high court judge that signaled a loss of patience by Great Britain with its former colonies who continue to add to the heavy workload of the British Privy Council with their seemingly unending cases. Jamaica, with its incredibly high homicide and other violent crime rates, apparently heads the list of regional culprits!

2. The current public pressure for the Jamaican government to stem the high tide of crime, and in particular to resume hanging guilty murderers.

Incidentally, in a post I made some months ago (maybe as far back as late 2008) that crime was Jamaica’s foremost problem, two or three members of the Reggae Boyz Forum intelligentsia strongly rebutted my suggestion by stating that education was the primary problem. Once again, I’m going to state that crime, and NOT education, is Jamaica’s most pressing problem!!!

Developments in education are obviously extremely important, but until the islandwide killing spree is effectively brought under control (and we’re not talking about sh!t figures like 2% or 4% or even 10% here), then nothing else – neither investments nor education, etc. -- will make any meaningful progress!!
                  You make some reasonable and very defensible points...not that I agree with them all.

Especially not the contention that "crime" is Jamaica's most serious problem and job #1 is to get the "killing spree" under control.

This a very common and even attractive argument...we all see the anarchy on the land and most want that abated....including your truly.

However it is naive to see crime in a vacuum as a problem to be solved. This will not happen with that type of approach...

Consider all the legislative changes, special courts, dozens of "crime plans", police reforms, foreign police, mass killing of perps (and innocents) etc etc that we have witnessed over the past 40 odd years.....have they worked? NO!!
                  So why would more of the same moral bankruptcy work? Answer: It will not.

Jamaica has things backward....crime is mere a symptom.
                  The problem is poor to negative social capital and social relationships...ESPECIALLY THE RIGID CLASS SYSTEM ....which confines the majority to 3rd class status...as well as 2 corrupt political tribes which divide and rule the country.

Until that problem is ameliorated....fahget it.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

The same way you guessed on the JLP I was hoping for you to to give some thoughts on Dr.Gomes, ah well.

I disagree with you on the subject of crime and agree with Don1. crime is a symptom. It's a social issue and the class system of Ja has a lot to do with it. Right now we are hard pressed to thell the young to go study in school when he sees some of the "big men" flaunting wealth (fancy cars, huge houses, boats etc.) and has no work to show for it. He's (young boy) asking if you think he's a punk. Our osciety is warped in a slavery system and only a massive education (coupled with revision of our laws in terms of reforms) drive can take us out of it. Yes at the same time serious efforts should be made to stem crime but Ja is not serious about solving crime (trust me on that)

Comment

Missing My Point?

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                      You make some reasonable and very defensible points...not that I agree with them all.

Especially not the contention that "crime" is Jamaica's most serious problem and job #1 is to get the "killing spree" under control.

This a very common and even attractive argument...we all see the anarchy on the land and most want that abated....including your truly.

However it is naive to see crime in a vacuum as a problem to be solved. This will not happen with that type of approach...
                      Don1, I just came online and caught up on what I’d missed all day. In particular, I noted the replies by both you and Jawge.

Of course I completely agree with you both on the primacy of education in underdeveloped, crisis-filled nation states such as Jamaica. But let me also ask you two simple questions: First, is education and its benefits a short-term process? Secondly, what happens to crime and the Jamaican society during the implementation and results stages of any modernized education process? In other words, during the interim?

The simple fact, gentlemen, is that investors are not going to sit around and idly wait until Jamaica gets its “education act” together. Translated, this means that foreign investors as well as investment-inclined members of the Jamaican and Caribbean Diaspora want to see a difference now, as in today! That is, NOW!! The only problem in this rather demanding scenario (and to answer my own question), of course, is that the results of education will not be seen in the short term!

Now, Don1, I completely agree with your position that education is the key to social improvement, and thereby the reduction of crime. Only an idiot would disagree with this position!! This has been my position from Day I, but what you have not included in your response is an answer to the obvious (but unasked) question: Has yesterday’s and today’s Jamaican governments approached crime with genuine seriousness?? For example, why isn’t parliament debating drastic new measures which would both prove and ensure that our society is really, once and for all, serious about eliminating this scourge which has placed Jamaica in decidedly unenviable groups such as Iraq and Afghanistan?!

Note: I have read crime-reduction suggestions on this forum which have made a great deal of sense, but while we naively expect our politicians to have sense, it is obvious that we expect way too much of them!!

By the way, without job opportunities (most likely through investments), what prospects are there for the graduates of the new education initiative when they eventually reach the end of their studies? These job opportunities will never become a reality while violent crime rules!!

The simple truth is that I have even more questions on these education vs. crime comments, but (and this is no disrespect whatsoever to you, Don1 and Jawge) on an increasingly unused message board (that is, this section of the Reggae Boyz Forum, where less than 20 persons actually take the time to post in this section), why should I waste my time and energy in discussing anything about anything??!!

Comment

Historian;201402]Don1, I just came online and caught up on what I’d missed all day. In particular, I noted the replies by both you and Jawge.

Of course I completely agree with you both on the primacy of education in underdeveloped, crisis-filled nation states such as Jamaica. But let me also ask you two simple questions: First, is education and its benefits a short-term process? Secondly, what happens to crime and the Jamaican society during the implementation and results stages of any modernized education process? In other words, during the interim?
                        I fear you miss MY point Historian.

Firstly, appropriate education reform is a part of the solution to Jamaica's problems...it's necessary but not sufficient. This has to be combined with massive investment in community development, measures aimed at reducing the class divide and curbing the power of political parties by bringing more actors into national decision making.
                        Jamaica's poor to negative social capital is the main reason for our problems....including crime and lack of economic development.

Hoping to fix the crime problem with legislative or police measures will continue to prove to be futile.

The simple fact, gentlemen, is that investors are not going to sit around and idly wait until Jamaica gets its “education act” together. Translated, this means that foreign investors as well as investment-inclined members of the Jamaican and Caribbean Diaspora want to see a difference now, as in today! That is, NOW!! The only problem in this rather demanding scenario (and to answer my own question), of course, is that the results of education will not be seen in the short term!

You are off base. We have to fix our problems for ourselves first...investors are secondary.
                        Also Jamaica has in the recent past attracted significant and relatively high levels of FDI...the problem is not attracting investment...it's CONVERTING that investment to real development.

We have not done a good job of that conversion because of our social dysfunctionality....that needs to be fixed first.

Now, Don1, I completely agree with your position that education is the key to social improvement, and thereby the reduction of crime. Only an idiot would disagree with this position!! This has been my position from Day I, but what you have not included in your response is an answer to the obvious (but unasked) question: Has yesterday’s and today’s Jamaican governments approached crime with genuine seriousness?? For example, why isn’t parliament debating drastic new measures which would both prove and ensure that our society is really, once and for all, serious about eliminating this scourge which has placed Jamaica in decidedly unenviable groups such as Iraq and Afghanistan?!

Quite an alarmist position...Jamaica is decidedly not accurately categorized with Iraq or Afghanistan...more like S Africa or Colombia.

Successive governments HAVE NOT made credible attempts to reduce crime....simply because they have have concentrated on police and legislative approaches....failed approaches which you apparently wish to intensify.
                        They will continue to fail.

Note: I have read crime-reduction suggestions on this forum which have made a great deal of sense, but while we naively expect our politicians to have sense, it is obvious that we expect way too much of them!!

I have read no suggestion here which I felt had a chance of fundamentally fixing our crime issue....most people concentrate on intensifying failed policies of the past based on force...it nah guh wuk.

By the way, without job opportunities (most likely through investments), what prospects are there for the graduates of the new education initiative when they eventually reach the end of their studies? These job opportunities will never become a reality while violent crime rules!!

Somewhat true. But when people are empowered by education and a more nurturing environment...many will CREATE their own opportunities.

Our solutions lie inside ourselves...rather than outside.

The simple truth is that I have even more questions on these education vs. crime comments, but (and this is no disrespect whatsoever to you, Don1 and Jawge) on an increasingly unused message board (that is, this section of the Reggae Boyz Forum, where less than 20 persons actually take the time to post in this section), why should I waste my time and energy in discussing anything about anything??!!

Don't fully understand this....so...

No comment.
                        Last edited by Don1; November 30, 2009, 08:53 PM.
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Mo stap duck mi an come out an face mi man.

Mi call yuh out at high noon fram when

Comment

Working...
                          X