Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think these people are begining to

use dictionary:

More power for the people - MoBay's heads of industry and civil society call for better governance

Published: Friday | December 18, 2009

Nagra Plunkett, Assignment Coordinator

WESTERN BUREAU:
    A shift in the power structure from politicians to the general citizenry is being advanced as a possible remedy for lack of accountability and inadequate governance in Jamaica.
    "The state has too much power. When my community, for example, supported the University of Technology (to establish a campus at the multi-purpose stadium) for Trelawny, I had the support of every chamber. Yet, one (political) person was not going with it so the Government says if that person is not going, they don't have to listen," charged Dennis Seivwright, president of the Trelawny Chamber of Commerce, during an Editors' Forum at The Gleaner offices in Montego Bay, St James on Wednesday.
    "We might need to restructure our state apparatus in order to guarantee good leadership. When you elect a member of parliament, he's done with you. There's no constitutional power or obligation for him to be out before the next election or to be reprimanded."
    He added: "It should be, I believe, that whatever the member of parliament does in his constituency should be by consensus and consultation with the people."
    Seivwright was among a panel of business and civic leaders discussing the state of leadership in Jamaica.
    Deputy Superintendent Paul Stanton, officer with responsibility for community safety and security in Trelawny, St James, Hanover and Westmoreland, maintained that the country's history of bad governance is an impediment to sustainable growth.
    Going forward
    "This has really crippled Jamaica in many, many ways, and it doesn't go to the political sector alone. It goes to people in business, trade union leaders, even in the church," said DSP Stanton.
    "They make decisions, not in the interest of the organisation, or for that matter a country going forward, they just make the decision based on their own personal agenda and this has more or less brought us to where we are today."
    For businessman Dr Lee Bailey, the country lacks collective leadership.
    "With that I want to say the type of leadership that we have today, cannot manage a macro economy when 90 per cent of the people in the country are among the less fortunate or just on the border of the poverty level," explained the chief executive officer of CCS Tours Limited. "Because somebody is involved in politics doesn't mean they're a leader. Leadership is distorted in Jamaica simply because we are not addressing the majority."

First step: Term limits fror MPs and PMs. Same for Local parish council.

Comment

Today I went through my dictionary and looked up some words:
      Plan, city, education, vision, knowledge, intelligence, security
      and I'm now convinced that I should buy a pocket dictionary to carry around (no later than Monday).

These words are powerful not to mention if one acts on them.

Comment

None of this means anything until you address spiritual degeneracy.

Comment

You juss ah wake up to this???

While you at it, do away with PC and have county councils instead. Lets them come up with taxes for their services and forbid them from borrowing.

Lastly, introduce a Swiss variation. On any issue where we can get say 20,000 validated signatures...National referundum.

Any local issue with 5,000 signatures, a County referendum would be forced.

Dolly house need to mash up now.

Comment

All positive arguments are welocme boss. fram ah build yuh ah build fi bettah; you are welcomed with open arms. Just hope the Mobay sector serious bot what dem ah say an mek demands. Time to modern fi di people ah live so. Enough is enough.

Comment

two years ago when we did a tell you, you had a different agenda, what brought about the change now?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't know. maybe a visitation or something. I think you are focusing on the wrong thing (worry about when I saw the light or when I found this or that out). I could jump and say the same to those fols in Mobay or Mr. Yellow but you don't seem to get it.

This is about a national agenda not parties. Slowly the people is seeing that they are been taking for a ride since 1838.Whilst the rest of world is progressing we sit here doing the same thing over and over. Look at East Germany in 89 as opposed to now. If you tell me they (Germans) have two brains, I may be satisfied (granted you can prove it).

Comment

But when Mama Portia go back inna Power you change your tune again.

the fact is people need to work together and Mobay is one of the biggest disappointment in terms of leadership. They can't even put a dance together, can't motivate the people and for a city with so much potential it is sad.

Yes central government let them down but they have to do more for themselves too. There is too much potential for Mobay to rise.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Change what tune? Mi say di people fi get back the govt. in their hands. from me: Term limits. See other proposals from willi.

Comment

Working...
                    X