No announcement yet.

Islandman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where are the Republicans? Is it that the system work better without them?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass I'm no expert on US constitution. All I know is that some two hundred odd years ago some men got together and set up plan for a nation. Congress,Senate Supreme court, and President are all working within the confines of that plan today. The details of which political party is for the experts, but make no mistake whatever decision that will be made will benefit the USA and its citizens.

Comment

Jawge we can only hope. Some decisions which seems like the best at the time come back to haunt us. At the time of the Iraq war most Americans thought it was the best and just thing to do but history will prove it wrong.

What I am saying is there are tribalists even in the US and not everything is always in the best interest of its citizen. Most times it is but it is not perfect.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The Republicans are not always wrong. They have lost thier way recently but they were from a US perspective mostly right during the 80s.

If the current Dems didn't have those conservative Blue Dogs among them then the need for the Republicans there to balance things would be more important, but as it stands now they are just spoilers and not really adding anything much.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not always wrong but this Republican congress a the biggest optructionist congress I have ever seen. Even in the Bush and Clinton years there were a few democrats who would work on some pet project accross the isle.

That is not possible anymore and they add nothing to key legislation by just pretty much saying no support from the start and continue throughout.

Comment

yuttie, yuh nuh have nutten fi do? a little education can be a dangerous ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes, the justice department has been given more power and resources to combat fraud.

The bill is not perfect(if there is such a thing), nor is it great BUT it's a really really good bill. It leaves room for modification in the future as well.
                Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  Not sure but I'm sure they wouldn't spend 6oo million to get 1500 million.
                  Also our dollar keeps declining and the workers' pay remain the same.

I've seen STATIN estimates that Jamaica retains about 65% of its tourism income. (it's not clear to me if this number includes the multiplier effect below)

If you can reasonably impute that say 20%? goes to direct workers?

Then one must estimate the multiplier effect of the retained ?earnings which produce economic activity and stimulate more jobs?

Unfortunately the data breakdowns are hard to come by.. not good...part of the hoodwinking by successive govts? Or just poor planning? Who knows but I am an inveterate conspiracy theorist.

Not an easy road
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I don't believe we retain that amount. For one most of the booking money may never reach amaica anyway. Then many of the stakeholders in some of these hotels live overseas and who is to stop them from taking their money overseas?

I have no offical data but I would think it is more like 40%.

Comment

So let me ask the million dollar question: are jakans too dumb to own and run hotels? Why is it that one can use our culture our brand to generate earnings of 1.5 billion and we have nothing to show for it?

Look at Mobay a city that's been turning out billions in (USD) and look at the town: people squatting all over Sam sharpe square, along the main streets, the streets are dirty, motorists and pedstrians just do as they please and more.

Something is seriously wrong.

Know what i'm going to lokk up the meaning of a billion because maybe i'm just callling the word without understanding it.

Comment

Good answer:
                        "Most times it is but it is not perfect." That's all I want to hear.

Why can't JA develop something as such?

Comment

I agree I don't think its that high either. Seems to me that the only money that stays is to cover the costs of running the resorts and the little that is spent on the streets.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It is not a matter of dumb it is a matter of been selfish and not willing to do the little things that need to be done.

We are not willing to put our money together and try a thing unless a ponzi scheme. Jawge if we clean up our environment, build a little bambo hut on the beach, be friendly, and organise a good christmas party in Mobay square people will come and look out for our own security..

the fact is we don't make the best use of what is around us. Everyman a say if mi did have a million dollar or if someone give it to me. Yes there are government policies that can assist but we need to look into ourselves as well.. All inclusive is not the major problem, it is a problem when the vendor harrass the visitors in the craft market in Mobay or man on the beach a ask every tourist if them want some herb.

Comment

Jawge our system is better than most but the fact is we choose not to use it.

The US system can be lead to crisis as well, an example is the Gore/Bush election but Gore choose to be a gentleman and did not bring the system to its knees. The fact is the lack of respect for the system from the leaders down.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                                I don't believe we retain that amount. For one most of the booking money may never reach amaica anyway. Then many of the stakeholders in some of these hotels live overseas and who is to stop them from taking their money overseas?

I have no offical data but I would think it is more like 40%.
                                The amount refers to what is retained by entities based in Jamaica not the ultimate destination of the funds.

These entities are free to move money abroad if they choose...the data does not track remittances outside of Jamaica from Jamaica based entities earning tourism revenue....don't confuse the two issues.
                                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X