• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce replies to Portia

Bruce replies to Portia
    JamaicaObserver.com
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009
    PRIME Minister Bruce Golding says he has written to Leader of the Opposition Portia Simpson Miller agreeing to a debate on the Jamaica's anticipated borrowing relationship with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), early in the New Year.

In a statement today, Golding said that he had written in response to a letter from the opposition leader to inform her of the debate but also to notify her of his broadcast to the nation concerning Government's latest tax package at 9:00 pm tomorrow.
    “I propose to address the nation through a national broadcast tomorrow evening in which I will outline the changes to the tax package as announced last Thursday. Every effort has been made to minimise the impact on the majority of the Jamaican people who we know are already burdened by the impact of the global recession," he said.
    "It is to be recognised however, that the widening gap between our revenues and expenditure must be cauterised. This is an essential prerequisite for an IMF programme and the support of the other multilateral institutions which is contingent thereon.
    Government said that the taxes were necessary to raise revenue of $21.8 billion, under the proposed US$1.2 billion standby agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
    "As I indicated to you on Thursday, we will facilitate a debate in Parliament early in the new year not only on the details of the proposed IMF programme but on the medium term economic strategy and performance targets as well as the policies to be pursued to stimulate economic growth and job creation."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

wrong forum. Mr. moderator can you please change?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The trap is set...

Comment

Working...
      X