• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce bullies Banks

Nice!

Gov’t calls in bankers

Low interest rates at centre of crucial talks

Monday, January 11, 2010

THE Government yesterday summoned the island's major bankers to a late-evening meeting at Jamaica House and scheduled another for this morning with the bankers association to get an agreement on lower interest rates on government paper which the administration sees as critical to a debt management plan it must implement in order to secure a loan from the IMF.

According to highly placed Observer sources, yesterday's meeting was scheduled to start at 6:00 pm, hours after the Cabinet ended a three-day retreat where Jamaica's application for a US$1.3-billion loan from the IMF was one of the major agenda items.

"The meeting tomorrow [this] morning is with the JBA (Jamaica Bankers' Association)," the source said before declining to speak further on the issue.

Last night, one financial analyst who opted for anonymity said he expected that the meetings with the bankers would not be smooth, as they are opposed to the Government's plan to lower interest rates to at least nine per cent.

Interest rates are currently hovering at 15 and 16 per cent.

The bankers' opposition to the proposal is rooted in concerns that any such move will be detrimental to their operations.

"The banks will take a huge hit if the interest rates are lowered," said the analyst. "You have to remember that these institutions make most of their money on government paper, and they have already invested at 15 1/2, 17 1/2 per cent, so for the Government to now cut that interest rate it will affect their balance sheets."

The Government, the analyst argued, therefore needs to get an agreement with the bankers as that was critical to its economic programme going forward.

Interest payment is the single largest recurrent expenditure for the Government, and lowering the average rate on government securities by as much as six percentage points implies savings in the order of tens of billions of dollars annually. Also, the Government has little flexibility in significantly cutting other expenses, as spending on programmes and capital projects are near minimal at this time, while cutting the public sector wage bill in any meaningful way means laying off thousands of workers.

Last week, newly appointed central bank governor Brian Wynter signalled the Government's intention to lower interest rates as he told journalists that he was working with the finance ministry on a debt management programme.

Wynter also projected inflation in the nine to 11 per cent range for the next financial year despite the contractionary impact on the economy.

"The agricultural sector continues to perform well, and with relative stability in the foreign exchange market, inflation may well continue its downward trend," Wynter said. "The question of whether lower inflation rates will come at the expense of higher interest rates and vice versa is a moot one, but it is interesting to note the debate on inflationary pressures on the economy of the United States. That's not a debate we expect to have in Jamaica given present indicators."

The Cabinet retreat was also expected to sign off on Jamaica's letter of intent to the IMF to access the funding, which will be used for balance of payment support.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Them bank deh making supernormal profits that they can't make anywhere else. Full time they stop raping the island and contribute.

Comment

a hope them get something done and no lip service.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Depending on the outcome of this, we could be heading for another downgrade by the rating agencies.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The rating agency nuh matter, the IMF want it, the IMF get it.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't know the details of this meeting, but I will give the PM some early credit for hauling the banks to a meeting. I hope they are indeed bullied and advised strongly that they are also in this struggle with us all, and if dem nuh act like dem know, dem wi feel!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this have to be done. From what I hear the pay out on interest is 175 billion last year. How can Jamaica afford that? No wonder them sit back and a mek so much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                I don't know the details of this meeting, but I will give the PM some early credit for hauling the banks to a meeting. I hope they are indeed bullied and advised strongly that they are also in this struggle with us all, and if dem nuh act like dem know, dem wi feel!
                Dem ting yah shudda duh fram lang time...fram im come inna power. Ah dat mi did ah call fah (an more!) fi 2 year now....

It did clear seh wi inna crisis fram even before im come een.... sit every sector around a table and decide how we're going to get out of it...shared sacrifices...shared benefits down the line.

Social contrak....

Late...but much more needed

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

You think Ja did think them inna crisis before now? Even now teachers a submit big increase pay raise.

you talking bout a society who taught that high interest rate and cash plus was "the bomb".

If you look clearly now you can see why the IMF want Latti out.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    You think Ja did think them inna crisis before now? Even now teachers a submit big increase pay raise.

you talking bout a society who taught that high interest rate and cash plus was "the bomb".

If you look clearly now you can see why the IMF want Latti out.
                    I speak of leadership being aware of the long term crisis... any half wit politician should have be aware since the mid 1990s.

Then again..maybe describing our political leaders as half wits is being charitable.

Comment

the book naked economics tell you politicians almost never do what economists recommend. It is not about wit or half wit, it is about will and staying in power.

Comment

yuh wasting your time... dem types see no difference between the parties and the Govts of the past..

That is how PJ Patterson and the PNP were able to lead this country into destruction..

Dem is part of the problem not the solution... head in the clouds of profundity.. above the voting and 'party ting'... dem ah nuh 'tribalists'..

Thank goodness enough people nuh mind getting dem fingah 'dirty' or else wi woulda be fvked good and propah under a 5th Term of Horror !

lol !

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          the book naked economics tell you politicians almost never do what economists recommend. It is not about wit or half wit, it is about will and staying in power.
                          This is not a question of mere economics.... this is about leadership...one either has it...or one is a half wit tribalist
                          Last edited by Don1; January 13, 2010, 01:46 AM.

Comment

only in your simplistic black and white world..

Was Michael Manley a leader ?

Comment

Keep up di momentum drivah..pressure

Comment

Working...
                              X