Caribbean Airlines to soon own AIR J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribbean Airlines to soon own AIR J

The long expected divestment of Air Jamaica now seems to be close at hand, almost a year later than originally planned.

Despite some local opposition in Trinidad & Tobago that country's state owned Caribbean Airlines, is now apparently ready to take the failing Air Jamaica off the Jamaican government's hands.

Sources close to the divestment talks say a final deal with the Trinidadians is almost complete, with an agreement seeing Caribbean Airlines absorbing Air Jamaica into its operations just days away from being signed.

It is understood that the Trinidadian government will not pay any money but the Jamaican government will be getting a stake in Caribbean Airlines.

Less than half of 1,200 workers to keep their jobs

It is also understood that under the pending agreement, the name Air Jamaica which the Jamaica government was adamant be kept, will go and so will most of the airline's staff.

Early projections from Caribbean Airlines are that only 350 of the now more than 1,200 staff members will be kept.

Already the Bruce Golding administration is considering setting aside $27 billion in next year's budget to tackle the costs that will come with the divestment of the airline, including redundancy payments, overseas taxes and leases for aircraft that will no longer be needed in a new structure.

Altogether, the talk is that at least three routes, Havana, Cuba, Orlando, Florida and Nassau, Bahamas will be cut, but negotiations are taking place to try to keep at least one.

Air Jamaica has lost at least US$90 million already this year and projections are that losses before divestment could mount to US$120 million.

Saving jobs

Ahead of the official announcement of Air Jamaica's divestment, the main trade union that represents workers at the national airline is already making a pitch to save some of the jobs.

According to Kavan Gayle, President General of the Bustamante Industrial Trade Union, it is crucial for the negotiators to consider retaining some of the airline's staff in the new dispensation.

"If a deal is brokered between Caribbean Airlines and the government of Jamaica we would hope that deal would include utilizing the staff at Air Jamaica as greatly as possible because of a number of reasons: the market that Air Jamaica carries is a market that is expertly driven by the culture that we have in terms of effectively carrying the tourists. Additionally, we believe that the Air Jamaica staff has the level of competency and experience in performing the service require by any airline" he said.

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/24265/26/
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

first 13 days of 2010 they lost 90 million US ... any way they used to have free champagne at one time

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
      first 13 days of 2010 they lost 90 million US ... any way they used to have free champagne at one time

punky brewster ... do you know that most national carriers are indebted ,
      including caribbean airways ?.
      Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
      United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
      happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
      Probably forthcoming...

Comment

I would not dispute that Air JA is a money-losing proposition but i hardly think that they lost $90M in 2010 (the 13 days you are talking about). The writer is probably referring to 2009...still big money loss any way you look at it. Reports I have read indicate that Air JA lost an average of $100M US PER YEAR in the last decade... so while that is atrocious business, don't get your knickers all hot and bothered and start spreading propaganda.

I as always stand open to correction.
        Peter R

Comment

According to interim CEO, Bruce Nobel, they could actually break even this year if they execute the plan to perfection.

Given the deal outlined above, it seems a pity that AJ was not radically restructed and made viable. They should have gone the no-frills route a while ago and focused on the profitable routes only.

Comment

but why did we all see this while they continued to have champagne flights?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Change is not easy?

Comment

Air Jamaica should be a loss leader...

How much fi Hotel Room Suite inna Vegas ?

But this concept is a 'complex' marketing one.. nuh stress it...

Comment

profit would only be possible on a long term if the staff took a pay cut like most other airline in trouble and the staff excecute their plans and cut the none profitable routes.

With the mobster unions in Ja that isn't possible and Air J is one of the highest paying pilots in the industry.

The government now need to leggo Digicel's Air One now.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh have to ask butch

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      Air Jamaica should be a loss leader...

How much fi Hotel Room Suite inna Vegas ?

But this concept is a 'complex' marketing one.. nuh stress it...
                      Well? Well?
                      Took yuh long...but yuh finally got here!
                      ...and yes, it should have been more efficiently run!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

took ME long enough.. lol !

Yuh figget seh is me did ah argue is di Govt eff up the plan by messing up the 'product' thereby mekking Butch plan a failure ?

Butch and Zacca suppose to vex !

But.. Govts come and go so dem get the last laugh (look who pon di new divestment board)

lol !

Comment

Zacca suppose fi vex? If only people knew the real Zacca!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

here we go again..

yuh lock into di Cult of Personality matrix..

nuh wondah yuh is a comrade...

Comment

i guess you don't know about him either. can't talk people personal life on site. or do you want me to buss it?

i know you know what i'm talking about.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X