• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica lucky nuh raaganaut

First the Xmas miracle at Palisados and now this:

Did JA just miss Tuesday's earthquake?

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dear Editor,

Did Jamaica dodge the proverbial bullet?
    The earthquake experienced by our brothers in Haiti was in essence "predicted" by keen work done by Jamaica's own Dr Margaret Wiggins-Grandison (formerly of the UWI) as part of a team of international geologists led by Dr Paul Mann of the University of Texas.

The palaeosesimic study of the Enriquillo-Plantain garden Strike Slip fault (essentially a forensic analysis of historic seismic events on the fault) was presented at the 18th Caribbean Geological Conference held in Santo Domingo in March 2008. In that paper it was reported that "historical earthquakes indicate that the last major movement of the fault occurred ... in 1751 in south-central Hispaniola and perhaps culminated in the Kingston, Jamaica, event in 1907." It further stated that there had been no significant movement along that fault for the past 40 years and as such was assumed to be in a "fully locked" state.

Given that 40-year immobilisation and knowing the expected rate of movement per year (~8mm/yr) on the fault, it was calculated that a magnitude 7.2 should be expected between Port-Au-Prince, Haiti and Kingston, Jamaica to release that pent-up strain.

On Tuesday, our brothers in Haiti felt the effects of that sudden release of energy along the fault. As our hearts and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy, we must all be reminded of the invaluable importance of sound scientific research in charting our future developments within the Caribbean, especially Jamaica.

As we look back and see just how lucky we are, let us all, as a nation, hold a collective moment of silence for our Caribbean neighbours who have suffered in Haiti.

Brian Richardson
    Kingston

yuh nuh...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

jamaica god bless, while haiti...is judgment for their idolatry!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Boy oh bwoy. Was just looking at the videos from Haiti last night and unlike earthquakes on the other side of the planet, I was faced with the reality that that could easily have been Kingston.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What yuh saying ?

The Devil is an American Airlines pilot ?

Di PNP Obeah man dem bettah choose a different agent..

Comment

I guess we can call it luck and we all know Jamaica is in a SEVERE earthquake prone area and we experience significant seismic activity. The last severe earthquake was in 1907 where 1,000 died in Kingston.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Prayer to the hatian brothers and sisters...

Comment

Jamaica is a blessed land. God smiled on Jamaica and her people and showered us with numerous blessings. Throughout history Jamaica has been spared on numerous occasions of many natural disasters - how many times have major hurricanes on direct path to Jamaica turned away sparing us? Despite our many blessings, we continually, as a people, spit in the face of the Lord. With the rapid and steady decline of morals and common decency in our soceity, it is only a matter of time before the Lord bring us tto our collective senses. I dread that day. I am not an overly religious person, as I only recently started going back to church on FIFA designated weekends, but I have seen His blessings in my life so I believe. Jamaica and her people are not embracing and acknowledging their many blessings. Morally, we need a cleansing.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by [SIZE=5
                  Mosiah[/SIZE];207823]jamaica god bless, while haiti...is judgment for their idolatry!
                  This is a poor statement and maybe you are taking your talking points from Pat Robertson.

The White House on Thursday dismissed a comment by evangelical preacher Pat Robertson that Haiti's earthquake was retribution for the country swearing a "pact to the devil" as "utterly stupid.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

i was hoping to generate some discussion for this silly statement, but i guess most just left it alone and pitied me, because that is what i would deserve, and a rhass lick over the head, if i meant it.

some bible-thumping co-worker came up with that nonsense yesterday. he was lucky i tolerated him for as long as i did. and then today on barbara gloudon's program another jackass talk say is because dem involved with the guns for drugs trade with jamaica why dat happen to dem. as if we weren't the ones supplying the drugs and taking the guns off dem hands!

all me know, jamaica nuh have no right fi talk bout who fi get punish because of dem sins.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

nutten bless bout dis country bredren. nutten!!

1680!! hold dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

HL borrow your handle?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          i was hoping to generate some discussion for this silly statement, but i guess most just left it alone and pitied me, because that is what i would deserve, and a rhass lick over the head, if i meant it.

some bible-thumping co-worker came up with that nonsense yesterday. he was lucky i tolerated him for as long as i did. and then today on barbara gloudon's program another jackass talk say is because dem involved with the guns for drugs trade with jamaica why dat happen to dem. as if we weren't the ones supplying the drugs and taking the guns off dem hands!

all me know, jamaica nuh have no right fi talk bout who fi get punish because of dem sins.
                          Mo - nuh listen to them yuh hear. It's all idle chat. Them full of s-h-i-t.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

I dread that day. I am not an overly religious person, as I only recently started going back to church on FIFA designated weekends,
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Assasin!!!
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X