X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to divest the JLP

Published: Thursday | January 14, 2010

The Editor, Sir:
    I am shocked, angry and horrified upon hearing the news (this morning, January 13) that the administration will be selling our beloved Air Jamaica to Trinidad.

Aren't these the people who refused to accept our patties into their ports, but they're getting some great deals on our national assets though! Are we serious here?

The possible actions of cutting staff at Air Jamaica by Caribbean Airlines should be the actions taken by us to save the airline and not by Trinidad, because really I don't think we need a large staff to man that airline, just a small, highly experienced, technical and dedicated team is needed which they already have to choose from. A bitter pill, but we must swallow to save Air Jamaica.

No legacy

I am a young Jamaican, in my 30s and I held an opinion or belief that the older generation is supposed to leave a legacy for us, the younger generation, to build on, fight for and be proud of.

What, I ask, has the People's National Party (PNP) and the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) left for people like me and those younger than me to live to see? All I can say is that is where Mutual Life used to be, and this is a ticket stub of Air Jamaica that was once owned by us.

Guilt-ridden

The move to sell is short-sighted. I feel guilt-ridden as I am an unwilling accomplice to the demise of Air Jamaica and I will never forgive myself for this. Rest assured I will not vote for this administration in the next election or ever again for that matter.

I thought I voted for change for good, not bad. Further, I will never take my money and go on Caribbean Airlines. So I beg, can we divest the JLP instead? I am not interested in playing with you anymore.

I am, etc.,

KATHY BROWN

yardie4eva@live.com

Red Hills

St Andrew
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

why yuh laff, lazie? di lady serious!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      why yuh laff, lazie? di lady serious!
      Sounded like she wanna buy shares. If she is yet to understand the burden Air J was on the budget and the need to get rid of it, she shoulda ask somebody.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So what?

She aggo vote Rasta party?

Comment

yuh know many people in jamaica would buy shares to save air jamaica,
          don't underestimate jamaican nationalism, although it seems to be dwindling.

Comment

Originally posted by 1of1 View Post
            yuh know many people in jamaica would buy shares to save air jamaica,
            don't underestimate jamaican nationalism, although it seems to be dwindling.
            Other than the pilots, how many more stepped forward? And what would happen if the Jamaican group was encountering a loss, who would they expect to bail them out again? If yuh uncertain, talk to Butch.

Comment

Boss dem haff other profitable tings di people can buy shares into but we the populace are kept out of it. Glad yuh see di light though. Wi ah wake up one by one. Time fi wi mek di parties know say it nah go werk no more.

Comment

mi woulda neva buy shares in air jamaica. mi look like mi have money fi dash whey?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Das why mi ah steer him whey fram it. Mi wouldn't surprise if those with the economic purse strings in Ja siad "come since unnuh waan shares, see air J here" nutten nuh reaaly change since 1838

Comment

Lazie, do you see the picture behind what the lady is saying? Do you think Trinidad is going to make Air J be a burden to them? They are going to do with it what our incompetent administrators are coward to do..and if they will shut it down. Watch how Trinidad will restructure Air J and make it more profitable. Watch how they will layoff all those lazy people who hold up space and demand thrir jobs just because.
                    Did you see the article in the paper about Trinidad taking over Jamaican run companies and making them more profitable...Watch the space..Soon we will be electing a Trinidad born Prime Minister

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                      Lazie, do you see the picture behind what the lady is saying? Do you think Trinidad is going to make Air J be a burden to them? They are going to do with it what our incompetent administrators are coward to do..and if they will shut it down. Watch how Trinidad will restructure Air J and make it more profitable. Watch how they will layoff all those lazy people who hold up space and demand thrir jobs just because.
                      Did you see the article in the paper about Trinidad taking over Jamaican run companies and making them more profitable...Watch the space..Soon we will be electing a Trinidad born Prime Minister
                      As long as its off the books ... I don't care. People gonna complain but what was the alternative?

Comment

Nutten new though.

Why blame the 2 year old PM fi everything??? A share yes, but the bulk???

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                          Nutten new though.

Why blame the 2 year old PM fi everything??? A share yes, but the bulk???
                          Hey, ppl affi look fi a means fi cover dem mistakes. If I'd kept an incompetent gov't in power for 18 years I too would look for reasons to mek the new gov't seem as if they know not what they're doing.

At least Karl was honest when he said he cannot afford for this gov't to succeed.

Comment

I say if a Trinidad born PM can outperform the Jcan born ones we have had for the last 50 years, bring him now!

We might haffe get some counselling and medication for Mosiah and Jamekan and the whole heap a curry might be a turnoff, but thats a small sacrifice to make!
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              I say if a Trinidad born PM can outperform the Jcan born ones we have had for the last 50 years, bring him now!

We might haffe get some counselling and medication for Mosiah and Jamekan and the whole heap a curry might be a turnoff, but thats a small sacrifice to make!
                              Mosiah like ROTI, so him will get acclimatized to the change.
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X