• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no bail for dj on rape

No bail for DJ on rape charge
    Chat
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010

LINSTEAD, St Catherine — A 37-year-old dancehall deejay who was charged with raping his 13-year-old stepdaughter, was denied bail when he appeared in court on Monday. The deejay will remain in police custody until March 27, when the matter will again be mentioned.
    The entertainer is alleged to have sexually molested the juvenile on two occasions at his St Catherine home in April 2009. Police told the court that the girl made a report to her mother — the entertainer’s common-law-wife — about the incident but she took no action.
    Other members of her family felt that the mother did not address the matter with the level of seriousness that it deserved, became angry and made a report to the police, the court was told.
    Reports are that when the entertainer got word that the matter was being investigated by the police, he is alleged to have fled the community and sought refuge in Westmoreland.
    A wanted man advisory was circulated by the police and he was captured in Westmoreland and handed over to the police who slapped him with the charge.
    The entertainer was previously convicted on a rape charge in 2002 and was sentenced to eight years imprisonment at hard labour. He was released from prison in 2008.
    The police also took out an arrest warrant for the entertainer’s common-law-wife who has since been charged with negligence under the Child Care and Protection Act. She was offered $60,000 bail with surety to return to court on March 27.
    — TK Whyte
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Zebra gone for a long time this time.

Comment

see, the report did not have a name nor a picture... i was trying to figure out who it was...

Comment

I have no problem with the name not being there.

Comment

why couldn't the paper name the person?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

that is what i would like to know... afterall, he is a convicted felon... his name and pic should be in the report...

Comment

We want name, photo, TRN # etc.

And I'm glad there is an arrest warrant for the mother. Too many times these children look to the mothers to rescue them from sexual abuse and them turn a blind eye.

Children lie sometimes, but as a parent you got to be vigilant and observant.

I know one kid who was abused by the stepfather; she always told the mother, who maintained the husband's innocence, until one day the wife caught him in the act.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

maybe is di first time him was in di act. ?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Radio and TV done name him long time..him nuh need bail, him need chemical castration..straight up and the madder need two carton box cross her face..she knows the man's history yet left him with her teen age daughter

I think the radio report said the mother had been arrested as well..
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Zebra 2005 Interview

Zebra 2005 Interview

Zebra - Deeper Feeling about Life in Prison

When the interviewer meets Zebra in the office of the Superintendent who runs the prison, he sees a man who radiates an unmistakable joy, fresh-faced and smiling. His five-year incarceration has not broken him.

He is dressed in white: white jeans, white sneakers, cream shirt with a badge of Haile Selassie and his empress over the left side of his chest, and a white turban with a badge with the image of Marcus Garvey directly over his forehead. He has a little orange-cover notebook in his right hand which is heavy with a three-tiered (the trinity, he explained) gold chaparita, and two rings. His left hand has a rasta sweatband, and red-green-and-gold trinkets, and he has allowed his goatee and beard to grow.
                    "In prison, you have to hold up yourself in a way so you can hold up others. In here, it is strictly a survival ting, ah just tribulation and segregation, today, ah just the grateful vs the ungrateful, yu may be grateful to a man today, but tomorrow, him same one could be yu killer. Ah prison dat."
                    Since his incarceration in prison since March 2000, no entertainers have tried to visit him, or give support in anyway. For him, it has been a lonely trod, except for visits from close friends and his father, singer Dennis Walks.
                    "Right now, ah just Dennis Walks mi give the honour. Mi no really see nobody more than so, but mi have to big up Elizabeth Hemmings and Wissian Wisdom, dem two empress de nuh lef me out."
                    Are you disappointed that no other entertainers have come to offer support?
                    "No, not really, the whole ah we inna one fraternity, yes, but we no look out for each other. We not close, we just share a stage from time to time, there is no glory, no love, no unity with the self and the crowd for most of them. They are pretenders, but it is good to be natural and real."
                    "Yu see the two year dem when I run the road from 1998 to 1999, dem grow fi dislike me because I was dem worst nightmare because of how the people did embrace me, when me go stage show, dem waan hurry up and work because after I done work, the show done. The ones on top doan waan to see no one else rise, but I live for the music, I am the music, the music is me," he said.
                    Zebra has used his time to read the works of Marcus Garvey, the island's first national hero, extensively, and to hone his lyrical skills.
                    "Music, ah dat hold me up. It mi use and rehab myself, mi no really entangle with no other form of work, or other rehab programme. Mi write continually about the present and the past, but no negative rhyme, dem can play all a Sunday time, the rhymes dem tight up, well write up," he said, breaking out into a short deejay verse.
                    He said that his days are consumed by music, and he is a part of the Rehabilitation Through Music programme, and often practices with a band called Cry Freedom daily along with other inmates such as Bobo, Marksman, Cry Freedom, Red Ray, Chronic, Elvis, and Leminotep.
                    He says that he has been approached by many producers to record tunes, but because there is no studio at the St. Catherine District Prison, it has not become a reality.
                    "A lot of real big man come here and dem feel my energy, and when dem leave, dem invite me to come check dem when mi come a road. Some even want mi to voice from inside here. But the chance not possible to do it from here, because there is no studio, but I get so much use and refuse, I have to be wise to what I am doing now" he said.
                    He said that he has not been earning any royalties from the hit songs such as 'Rupert', and 'Redder than Red' in the years 1998-1999.
                    "Mi neva try to ask dem for royalty, mi just love the music. I survive on the blessings of I and I family, who tek care of my children, and right now, mi ah live by the Grace of Jah, by His love and support. Mi family dem a live joyful, my presence as a father is missed, and since I and I come in here, mi empress dem have a few yutes, you know yu get caught up, and dem born while I am in here. I cannot see dem 'cause dem don't allow no children in prison."
                    What has been the toughest thing about being in prison?
                    "The toughest time is right now, the present, 'cause mi still de ya, and my toughest time nah go end till me come out alive. The injustice of it too big, up to this time, yu have to watch yuself, watch yu headback, everyting yu do, yu have to bend your mind to serve yu time.
                    Since his time in prison, his relationship with his father has strengthened, his Rastafarian faith has grown, and he has been able to forge "multiple friendships with the staff, and the inmates.
                    "The joy is unexplainable, me ah de only one of his children who do music, so mi get everything outta him, so the father, so the son. Him mek his music when no money neva de pon it, ah just small money, no strong currency, so when I come out, I plan to do a combination wid him, do some fresh tune, give him back a joy," Zebra said.
                    Asked about the turban he is wearing, and the rasta paraphernalia, he laughed and responded: "Well, remember ah me did say Selassie I Send Mi Fi Warn."
                    Zebra said that the words of Marcus Garvey, and books he had read such as 'Self, Mind and Consciousness' has strengthened his intellect, made him more self-aware and focused. He says that the life of Marcus Garvey is an inspiration to him.
                    "Marcus go prison, him lef prison and come be a star. Mi a go follow that trod," he said. "Remember, ah me say further on."
                    Zebra plans to apply for parole this year. According to prison officials, first time offenders are allowed to apply for parole six months before their parole eligibility date, but he is required, as second-time offender to apply eight months before that date.
                    "I plan to get a form soon, and apply because I have got my letters together, the address where I am going to stay, the studios I am going to be working and so on. Nothing before the time, mi just ah go apply and take it from there."
                    When is your earliest possible release date?
                    "Well that will be in the morning, with the rising of the sun, y’know."
                    Yes, but when?
                    "In prison," he said, leaning forward. "When yu come out, that is your release date, because who knows, something terrible might reach me afta mi lef da interview ya. The date when I come out alive, that is my release date."
                    It is here that the other men in the room chuckle knowingly.
                    How do you feel about other entertainers dissing you as a rapist on stage shows?
                    "Dem can tease me all dem want, but I not going to answer dem, and gi dem a hype, mi have all the stripe, man ah kill man fi tek off dem stripe, but me, mi born wid my stripe. No man caan get no ride offa Zebra, only Xena alone can ride a zebra."
                    So what you learned during your incarceration that makes you a better man?
                    "I learn that you have to be on your side. Any side I am taking must be my side. I get a deeper feeling about life, especially with the love of my empress dem. I am not afraid to die, because if you are afraid to die, you will be afraid to live and vice versa. So I learn to enjoy the small moments, the quiet moments, the time with family, that is life."
                    "Well, mi name says it all. The world is strictly black and white, my name says unity, black and white must come together, pon a zebra, yu have the black and the white close together, and yu caan tell if is a black animal wid white stripe, or a white animal wid black stripe, so that tell yu dat unity and peace in the world is possible. We can be one, we just have to believe," he said.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Interesting as the paper (Chat!) has his name and photo on the front page and his name in the story..
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

When dem go to jail, them even read Marcus Garvey works or convert to Muslim
                        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

hmmm...a wonder if das why jawg...nah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i wonda ef.....?!!! naw...mi naw guh even THINK it!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

si how him skip di question about the rape? some would say that is an indication that there is no remorse....he did not even acknowledge it..."is lie, is true, is a mistake"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X