Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter writer has a problem

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean.../letters1.html

Though I cannot deny the fact that without the aid of fellow Africans, other Africans might not have been sold to the Europeans, I categorically state here and now that slavery in of itself was a terrible act. Xavier needs to check, re-check, and then examine himself. His take on slavery of the black man is stupendous and disappointing coming from a man who gave the impression that he is of the black diaspora.

Xavier obviously read alot about Africa, ruthless African leaders, famine, disease and dangers on the continent. But what he apparently failed to grasp or to comprehend, is the horrifying state under which the slaves in the world survived. Forced labour, whippings, separation of family, rape, in some instances 16-hour day labour, stripped dignity, lost identity, lost family tree, lost name, new diseases, torture, used as breeding stock and treated like animals are but a few of the things the black man endured during slavery.

Furthermore, many wealthy and established families (in Spain, England, Belgium, France and the USA) quite likely owe their wealth to the ill-gotten gains amassed from slavery.

For Xavier to say that no apology is necessary is akin to the house slaves in the Western World shouting out : ''Look master, they're planning to burn OUR house.''
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

RE: Letter writer has a problem

The African Activist Ras Shatta will be here shortly to address this!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I saw this too and the headline jolted me for a minute there but I do agree in some points as the Europeans could not just walk into Africa a place they had never been to and capture these big strong Mandingo warriors who were able to survive for hundrds of years in a very hostile environment
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

The article speaks volumes and it is very sad.

I care only for an apology if it is contains an acknowledgement that Europeans and hence their descendants benefited immensely at the expense of Africans and the impact is quite evident in all forms of our lives today.

Xavier isone example. I believe that if me and one of my white employees who is close to my ageapproach Xavier to do business, he would most likely think I am there to "carry the bags." Therein lies one of the most significant impact on Africans across the planet, especially the disapora, and that is our believe that given our socioeconomic status we are inherently inferior to the white man.

The rest of the stuff in his letter shows how warped he is and frankly he sounds like he could have gotten a job a speech writer for PW Bootha.

Of course Africa was tribal...what the heck drove the 100 day way, WWII and may other atrocities in Europe. To this day, Africans have not come close to slaughtering as many Africans as Europeans have done to each other, but of course they civilized us so they must be admired.

And on the dictatorship front...Hello..Adolph. It is a terrible thing to hate oneself and in my mind he does...Must be a colleague's of Benjammin.

Comment

What big strong Mandingo Warriors are you talking about? Don't buy into the stereotypes. Please find outwhat were thesources of the slaves to the new world. Mandingo is a characterization that is as bigotted at it comes.

There was complicity of course in slavery. However, the utmost dehumanization and most despicable forms of chattel slavery occured at the hands of European. Yeah people talk about African's complicitybut it is a damnexcuse. The mass enslavement of blacks started with the (White) Arabs, increased 20 foldand became a massive business under the Europeans. There is no question in my mind as to who imparted the most brutality and who benefited the most.

While we mustacknowledge your point, I would like to point to the source of the word slave (The Vikings buying and selling Slavs), the percentage of Russians that are serf (slave)decendants, Amerindians indenturtudeand note that inthose situations the systematic and wide scale dehumanization never occured as they did for blacks in the new world.

Guidance

Comment

Fair enough but you do acknowledge that slavery existed in Africa before the Europeans got there and it still exist today as well, right???
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

I can only hope that Sickko take a second look at Xavier's letter and then give another response, because absolutely nothing justified the atrocious act of slavery and the slave trade.
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Absolutely.And I thought I acknowledged it. It existed biblically, across the broader middle east, with the Han people in China and as I explained with the Vikings, Serfs, Slavs and the various people of the British Isle. And this is why highligting Africans involvement when it comes to discussing this tragic human episode and Europeans involvementshould be just a footnote.

Comment

and to think the gleaner made it letter of the day

Comment

Now big man stop right there....how dare you...where did I ever indictae about justifying slavey???

Big man haul and pull up and come again and mash dung that piece of lie....

All I did was to point out another fact not to take anything away from anything...
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

You will always find people like those Farmah. He has not fully appreciated the effects of slavery on the Black race.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Sickko respek Sah! I know the man did'nt see it that way. My use of the word ''justified'' wasreally my fuming at the tone of Xavier's letter. Esay mi bredrin.

Comment

Heh, heh.

Yuh tink is only black man I hate ???

I do not discriminate.

You apparantly do.

Comment

Working...
                          X