GOJ SELLING Air Jamaica..deal to cost the SELLER US$300m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOJ SELLING Air Jamaica..deal to cost the SELLER US$300m

... nice deal! ... gwaan Drivah! Doan tap atall ..Toot! Toot!

Air J sending Letter of Intent to Caribbean Airlines

Thursday, 21 January 2010

RJR News has obtained a copy of a memo to Air Jamaica staff giving them the clearest indication yet that a deal is soon to be signed with Caribbean Airlines for the take over of the national carrier.

The memo from President and Chief Executive Oficer Bruce Nobles states that he is updating the staff on the developments in the Air Jamaica divestment process.

Mr. Nobles outlined to his staff that after more than 18 months, the bidders to acquire Air Jamaica were narrowed to two finalists.

One was Indigo Partners, owners of several airlines including Spirit Airlines and the other, Caribbean Airlines, owned by Government of Trinidad and Tobago.

Mr. Nobles said the initial recommendation by the Air Jamaica Divestment Committee was Indigo Partners.

ImageHowever, after several months of negotiations, they were unable to reach an agreement and therefore the Government turned to Caribbean Airlines.

He said a Letter of Intent is now required and this is being finalized with Caribbean Airlines.

The letter is non-binding and requires that Caribbean Airlines undertake the necessary due diligence before final documents are completed and approved.

This approval process is likely to take several weeks.

Mr. Nobles claims that press reports suggesting a specific deadline are incorrect.

Seamless transition for Air J - Nobles

He said the proposal with Caribbean Airlines is to create a larger, stronger more robust airline serving the region by combining the routes of Caribbean Airlines with the key routes of Air Jamaica.

The President and CEO sought to assure his staff that the new Caribbean Airlines will be better able to withstand the economic and competitive challenges facing the region.

According to Mr. Nobles the consolidation will be good for Jamaica.

He said the proposed strategy would be to create a "seamless" transition for Air Jamaica passengers and there will be no disruption to operations.

The staff was also told that as with any consolidation, there will be efficiencies gained in operation, resulting in some job reductions.

However, Mr. Nobles said that at this time there are no estimates of personnel going forward since major decisions about fleet, schedules, administration and other issues are still to be determined.

The deal will reportedly cost the Jamaican government $27 billion.

PM & Gov't have no respect for Air J workers - NWU

In the meantime, the National Workers Union (NWU) which represents some categories of employees at Air Jamaica is still seeking to have a meeting with Prime Minister Bruce Golding to get an update on the sale of the airline.

NWU Vice President Granville Valentine says the union is upset as Mr. Golding did not show up for a promised meeting, neither has he made any arrangement for another.

"We believe that it's a little disrespectful that the Prime Minister has still not contacted the unions to try and get that meeting off. The workers are very distraught at this time and feel that the government has (no) respected (for) them," Mr. Valentine said.

He is however still hopeful that the government will make an about turn and seriously look into the bid put forward by the Jamaica Airline Pilots Association to purchase Air Jamaica.

"We're taking about 10,000 people overall in and out of Air Jamaica directly who will lose their jobs," he said.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

this is sad... i believe the govt could do better... if the debt is not being absorbed there is no reason to sell... we could shut down the airline and restructure and right size the operations...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
      this is sad... i believe the govt could do better... if the debt is not being absorbed there is no reason to sell... we could shut down the airline and restructure and right size the operations...
      my sentiments exactly.... mek di pilot an odda employee dem run it...lika Southwest

Mek di Trini dem guhwhey... ... mi ole man tell mi seh yuh cyaan truss dem

all di same im bias... one ah dem carry im dung bad bad...

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

would like the pilots to run it but are they going to do another Butch?

I think the big problem is workers as nobody is going to pay them what they are getting and the unions will not allow it rebuild or that would have been the way to go.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Expediency will be the downfall of this sale. The rush to meet the IMF criteria for the loan is dictating the speed of this transaction.

Mi nuh undastan the logic behind the begging Caribbean Airline to buy AJ when CA has always been an inferior airline.

This decision will rank right up there with Eddie voting to condone the USA invading Grenada.
          Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
          Mitty

Comment

Originally posted by Mitty View Post
            Expediency will be the downfall of this sale. The rush to meet the IMF criteria for the loan is dictating the speed of this transaction.
            agreed... i often wonder about our leaders decision making... the concensus is something has to be done about the operations of the airline... however, we just cannot have a fire sale...

i would tell the imf where to go when it comes to some of our assets... we just cannot give away the airline... it is a vital strategic asset... it plays a signifcant role for our tourism sector... we cannot allow our tourism sector to be held hostage by other countries...

like i said up top, i would shut down the airline, restructure, right size and come again more strealined and efficient...

the government should allow the pilots and employees and the jamaican diaspora to own the airline...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Badone don't worry let it go; the most the govt.should keep is royalties
              for the name air J. We must get business savvy in these times.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                would like the pilots to run it but are they going to do another Butch?

I think the big problem is workers as nobody is going to pay them what they are getting and the unions will not allow it rebuild or that would have been the way to go.
                the problem is money...or lack thereof

Comment

Yup

Airlines are EXTREMELY CAPITAL INTENSIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    my sentiments exactly.... mek di pilot an odda employee dem run it...lika Southwest

Mek di Trini dem guhwhey... ... mi ole man tell mi seh yuh cyaan truss dem

all di same im bias... one ah dem carry im dung bad bad...
                    di GOJ shoulda sell it to 'spirit airlines' , if dem sell it to trinidad Gov
                    dem still aguh end up with loses ,very few national carriers are run
                    profitable ...thus Air J will becomes regional carrier again ... in
                    60s it was BWIA now its Caribbean Airlines , the same ting nutten
                    nuh change .spirit is a low cost airlines dem woulda mek more
                    people guh a JA .. FCK DI regionalist !
                    Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                    United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                    happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                    Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Working...
                    X