X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Earthquake will hit Trinidad

'Big one' will hit Trinidad

Published on: 1/16/2010.

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad - An earthquake similar in magnitude to the one that devastated Haiti will strike Trinidad and Tobago sometime in the future.
    It is not a question of if it will occur, but when, said seismologist with the University of the West Indies Seismic Research Unit in St Augustine,
    Dr Joan Latchman.
    In a Press briefing on Thursday, Latchman said Trinbagonians' fear of major earthquakes may be lulled because of there not having been a major shake in decades, but in fact the twin island republic
    is 22 years overdue.
    She said a tremor of similar proportions to the one which wrecked Haiti's capital city of Port-au-Prince had been on the cards for over two decades. The Haitian quake was recorded as 7.0 on the scale - which measures its destructive power. In 2006, an earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter Scale damaged homes in Tobago. The most recent quake
    felt in Trinidad was recorded last Monday
    - it measured 4.4.
    If a quake does hit, those living in areas like the swampy Beetham Gardens, Laventille hillsides, the reclaimed
    sea beds in West Trinidad and unplanned squatting communities would be the most vulnerable to experiencing the
    worst effects of
    the brutal shaking
    that would accompany
    the earthquake.
    When asked about Trinidad's level of risk, given the proximity of Haiti, Latchman said:
    "We do sit on the corner
    of the Caribbean plate.
    All of the Eastern Caribbean, including Venezuela, is on a seismic plate boundary. So, yes, we will have earthquakes."
    After explaining that seismologists have given the country a century-long cycle in relation to the occurrence of large earthquakes, she said given that the last major shake occurred between Grenada and T&T in 1888, the country was about
    22 years overdue.
    She said: "We do expect a large event soon.
    How soon is what
    we don't know."
    However, Latchman said there was no need for mass panic if the country kept in mind that earthquakes were not what killed people, but instead it was the falling debris and sometimes improperly built buildings that did the damage.
    She warned that the country should prepare. "When the big earthquake does occur, we do not want it to devastate the economy and destroy
    the country."
    Dr Walter Salazar,
    an earthquake engineer
    at UWI also said that Trinidad and Tobago should have country-specific building codes based on the result
    of seismic maps done
    for this region, and not
    on codes that work for foreign countries.
    (SP/Trinidad Express)
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

I hate these meaningless predicitions.

Here is my prediction:

A big hurricane will hit Jamaica sometime in the future. Its not a matter of if, but when.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

here's another meaningless prediction:

audley shaw will make a fool of himself in the future.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Any time you have one you hear this.

Based on how they were talking a few years ago you think Califonia would be destroyed by now.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This is the part I like:

She said: "We do expect a large event soon.

How soon is that

we don't know."

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes a silly prediction without any backative.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              I hate these meaningless predicitions.

Here is my prediction:

A big hurricane will hit Jamaica sometime in the future. Its not a matter of if, but when.
              ...it is the preparations the country makes that is important. The prediction just has us know - get ready!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
              X