Pilots confident in their bid for Air Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    I spoke with someone last night and the message I got was, the pilots were not being considered.

I never said and I am not now saying you are not correct that the pilots are being considered as buyers...I am merely repeating what I was told. ...and I commented on your article being, 'possibly dated'.

What is the date of your article and where did you get it/its source?

...and what's the below?

They had lost hope of buying and had now recently had that hope revived?
    Did they make a bid for the airline? The fact that there is the thought of keeping all 19,000 employees mek one wonder how serious they are.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

[quote=Lazie;209513]"At a meeting with the Prime Minister on Tuesday, the pilots were told that based on their first proposal the government was not convinced that they could take over the airline." [quote]

Let us assume Tuesday is last Tuesday 19 Jan. 2010 - The pilots proposals were long before last Tuesday dismissed. So what is new in this. ...are we to understand a 'new' proposal was submitted?

If so, what is 'new' about it?

Now that Air J may be going away everybody start get sentimental. Yeah .. it would be nice if the pilots bought it ... the question is, what if they're in a financial bind? Should the gov't be bailing them out as well?
      Now that Air J is going away... does that not say, the pilots are 'out'?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Unuh can cuss me - but the Pilots nuh have any money, and I doubt they will raise the equity. It is all sentimental talk.

Air Jamaica is battling losses for over a decade, and all of us could see that someday the sentimental airline would become extinct. If those pilots were serious, they should have been pursuing this long time. It was only in 2009 that they started the lip service about hoping to buy the airline.

Furthermore, if they are serious, how the hell would they be able to keep 19,000 employees, without trimming any "fat". Nuff restructuring would be needed, lean staff and nuff pay cut!

As to dealing with the Unions - that's another headache, heartache, etc.

If the airline couldn't turn a profit in the days when it had less competition - I don't see it happening now.

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I hear them talking about raising equity and people in the disapora.

Which of you Air Jamaica sentimentalists on this forum is willing to buy a stake in the airline?
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

You a buy NWU, BITU and the rest a dem.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              You a buy NWU, BITU and the rest a dem.

Ain't that the truth
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                Unuh can cuss me - but the Pilots nuh have any money, and I doubt they will raise the equity. It is all sentimental talk.

Air Jamaica is battling losses for over a decade, and all of us could see that someday the sentimental airline would become extinct. If those pilots were serious, they should have been pursuing this long time. It was only in 2009 that they started the lip service about hoping to buy the airline.

Furthermore, if they are serious, how the hell would they be able to keep 19,000 employees, without trimming any "fat". Nuff restructuring would be needed, lean staff and nuff pay cut!

As to dealing with the Unions - that's another headache, heartache, etc.

If the airline couldn't turn a profit in the days when it had less competition - I don't see it happening now.
                Whether or not they have the ability to purchase and to manage the airline, we have not a clue...but my understanding is they would have gone a Southwest-like model. That suggested to me that an attempt would be made to have the workers give tremendous concessions in wage cuts and fringe benefits. ...and like Southwest tremendous effort at work.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Southwest like Model? Them woulda cut them pay and get rid of the unions? their salary is one of the highest in the industry.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Southwest like Model? Them woulda cut them pay and get rid of the unions? their salary is one of the highest in the industry.
                    It would be interesting to see if the players would cut the unions and do their own thing as does the non-union Jet Blue!

...remember in the Southwest experiment the workers all own a piece of the airline. It is claimed that is why the put in so much effort. ...but the funny thing is Southwest workers are unionized.

Comment

They would not only have to cut salary, they would have to downsize the headcount.
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Agreed

Comment

Butch money long and him couldn't keep up. This pilot association bid is a joke

Comment

champagne will do that to you

Comment

Working...
                            X