Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Reserves in Haiti?

Haiti quake may have revealed oil reserves

The earthquake that killed more than 150,000 people in Haiti this month may have left clues to petroleum reservoirs that could aid economic...
    By Jim Polson
    Bloomberg News

Related stories, resources and videos
    UPDATE - 04:12 PM

NEW YORK — The earthquake that killed more than 150,000 people in Haiti this month may have left clues to petroleum reservoirs that could aid economic recovery in the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation, a geologist said.
    The Jan. 12 earthquake was on a fault line that passes near potential gas reserves, said Stephen Pierce, a geologist who worked in the region for 30 years for companies including the former Mobil Corp. The quake may have cracked rock formations along the fault, allowing gas or oil to temporarily seep toward the surface, he said Monday.
    "A geologist, callous as it may seem, tracing that fault zone from Port-au-Prince to the border looking for gas and oil seeps, may find a structure that hasn't been drilled," said Pierce, exploration manager at Zion Oil & Gas, a Dallas-based company that's drilling in Israel. "A discovery could significantly improve the country's economy and stimulate further exploration."
    Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive met Monday in Montreal with diplomats, including Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, to discuss redevelopment initiatives. Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon said wind power may play a role in rebuilding the Caribbean nation, where forests have been denuded for lack of fuel, the Canadian Press reported.
    "Haiti, from the standpoint of oil and gas exploration, is a lot less developed than the Dominican Republic," Pierce said. "One could do a lot more work there."
    The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. It may have 3 million barrels of oil in a shallow offshore formation that's probably also shared by Haiti, Pierce said.
    "One of the main reasons for the dearth of information on reserves in Haiti is that the Dominican Republic has numerous surface-hydrocarbon seeps while Haiti had very, very few," he said.
    Abraham Lincoln's consul to the Dominican Republic reported oil seeps there in 1862. Neither nation produces oil or gas. As much as 1 trillion cubic feet of gas may be trapped in a border formation near the earthquake fault, Pierce said.
    Pierce said he's unaware of any petroleum geologists conducting fieldwork in Haiti. There has been exploration of Ocoa Bay, the largest potential oil deposit in the Dominican Republic, he said.
    The Greater Antilles, which includes Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and their offshore waters, probably hold at least 142 million barrels of oil and 159 billion cubic feet of gas, according to a 2000 report by the U.S. Geological Survey. Undiscovered amounts may be as high as 941 million barrels of oil and 1.2 trillion cubic feet of gas, according to the report.
    Among nations in the northern Caribbean, Cuba and Jamaica have awarded offshore leases for oil and gas development.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Them coulda find oil like water, if corruption and exploitation are the order of the day, then poverty, misery and perhaps even more violence than before will be the end result.

Choose any resource-rich African country for the evidence.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No worry the French and the Americans them would put them inna stiff Jacket and take the resources and 50 years later we blame them for what Haiti didn't achieve.

It is time we take our own destiny in our hand.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Them coulda find oil like water, if corruption and exploitation are the order of the day, then poverty, misery and perhaps even more violence than before will be the end result.

Choose any resource-rich African country for the evidence.
        ...on the other hand with such a bounty they could turn the page and create a better Haiti!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"A discovery could significantly improve the country's economy
          The dirt poor & poverty stricken region of the Nigerian delta has certainly benefited from its vast oil reserves.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Well, at least thier former governor is very rich. Assets of about 35m in he UK alone.

I am sure Chevron and Shell are happy for him too.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Well, mi bredrin from the Delta and the whole of his friends them have money. Wonder if it was them who was thinking about buying Newcastle LOL

Comment

Das the point i made the-other-day Assasin.

"We" are well versed in what others have done to us...but reluctant to say (with vim)--what "we" have done to our selves.

Most of our problems are self inflicted.

Even without finding gas, the opportunities to get things right --in Haiti are tremendous!!!!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

good if I go down, I am going down swinging mi brethren.

Comment

Working...
                  X