If you think you have bad road well think again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you think you have bad road well think again

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Road protest in Portland</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Friday, December 08, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=350 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>Several placard-bearing residents from numerous communities and districts within Portland's western end yesterday congregated in Buff Bay, as they protested against the poor state of the roads in the parish.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The residents, who pointed to the damage done to the roads during the recent heavy rains that lashed that section of the island, said they have now surpassed deplorable.
    "Not even ants can pass," read a placard carried by one of the protestors, as they pleaded for help.<P class=StoryText align=justify>They listed roads in the districts of Dumfries, Shrewsbury, Newcastle, Claverty Cottage and Cascade that were urgently in need of repairs.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Dumfries is in a critical condition because the road can't carry no vehicles neither in or out. I'm a shopkeeper and I can't buy goods. When we buy something we have to leave it two miles by Coopers Hill and use bicycle to carry it in and donkey or on our head," said a resident who identified herself as Barbara.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Here, residents from the parish, along with FJamaica Labour Party caretaker/candidate for West Portland Daryl Vaz (centre), gather in Buff Bay during yesterday's demonstration.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X