• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Air Jam staff to be made redundant April 12th

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Employees

Date: March 3, 2010

My fellow employees,

The process of divesting the Airline, which has been underway for some time now, has continued assiduously since my last communication with you. As we are all aware, a letter of intent was recently signed with Caribbean Airlines. They have been engaged in a due diligence exercise over the last few weeks, with steady progress made in this regard.

This divestment exercise has now evolved to a position where certain decisions have been taken and associated timelines determined and I want to share some of that information with you.

There are a couple of points to remember about this divestment effort;
    1.First, the Government of Jamaica has made it clear that it is not in a position to continue providing financial support for Air Jamaica going forward.
    2.If the transaction with Caribbean Airlines cannot be satisfactorily completed in short order, the options for the Government and for Air Jamaica become very limited.

As a result, we are working diligently to develop a structure that will ensure that customers can and will continue to book and fly to and from Jamaica with confidence. At this time we are therefore developing a strategy to ensure a “seamless” transition for our customers.

We are working with Caribbean toward a transaction date concurrent with our major schedule change on April 12, 2010. That date is a “target” and may change. The plan is that all employee positions at Air Jamaica Holdings, Ltd. will be made redundant effective with the transaction date.

The current transition proposal is to continue to operate Air Jamaica utilizing our existing fleet under contract to Caribbean Airlines for perhaps as long as one year. Caribbean will be financially responsible for the transition operation after the transaction date.

In order to operate the” transition” Jamaican operation, a new company will be formed to hire the personnel required. Those employees will be hired under fixed term contracts. The number of jobs required and the terms and conditions of employment are still being finalized. However, members of the transition team from Caribbean are currently at Air Jamaica completing due diligence work which includes a reviewing of information about employees, our company policies, as well as conducting interviews and psychometric testing. Additional information regarding interviews and jobs will be made available shortly.

As we have indicated to you previously, our objectives are first to ensure a seamless transition for our customers, next to minimize the impact on our Air Jamaica family and third to fairly deal with all the outside companies who do and have done business with Air Jamaica over the years.

I know that I can count on your cooperation and support during this critical time in the life of Air Jamaica and I look forward to discussing this in more detail with you as plans become more definitive.

Sincerely,

Bruce R. Nobles
    President and CEO
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Wait ... mi never know yuh was an Air J employee! Anyway ... thats the end of our tourism market. Wha yuh say Karl!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So wha me cant have two jobs?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Wait ... mi never know yuh was an Air J employee! Anyway ... thats the end of our tourism market. Wha yuh say Karl!
        I can tell that such an announcement will have immediate effect on
        - bookings on AirJ
        - and it shall have an effect on airlift seats to the island.

You can go and work on ripple effects...I know when you are not locked into your partisan role you are a very smart man.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          - bookings on AirJ

You can go and work on ripple effects...I know when you are not locked into your partisan role you are a very smart man.
          Karl, anytime yuh tell me nuh have nuh sense ... mi know say mi right. Just to prove it, I was being sarcastic and now yuh refer to me as being smart.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So Air Jamaica is the reason people come here for vacation? So all the other airlines that fly in here are wasting their times then?
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Karl, anytime yuh tell me nuh have nuh sense ... mi know say mi right. Just to prove it, I was being sarcastic and now yuh refer to me as being smart.
              Glad it mek yuh laff!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                So Air Jamaica is the reason people come here for vacation? So all the other airlines that fly in here are wasting their times then?
                So x - 1 = x in your world?

Comment

So x - 1 = x in your world?
                  Yuh nuh see Sass' latest chant? Leggo Air One! Allow more airlines to fly in. Right now I cannot get no direct flight from Newark fi come home. How many tourists are we losing as a result of that?

Comment

2 job is the minimum requirement for the headleys...imagine only having one job!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

that's not the equation, karl. it's more like:

x-1 = x+y, where y is > or = 1.

(yes, it might not make any sense, but unnu get mi point!)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ONLY TWO JABS? You lazie BC&^%$#@*&.... I see you are a fan of In Living Colour too
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

I have no clue what that is supposed to mean, so try some thing else

Try this, if people want to come to jamaica and there is no Air Jamaica, some one else will fill that void, call it whatever you will
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

- bookings on AirJ

Karl, Karl. When last you travel Air Jamaica. I flew them in December '09, and I have already stated that the airline was flying HALF-FULL (full vs. empty, because I'm an optimist). On my return to the US - the 12 seats in First Class were EMPTY & coach was not any better - rows and rows of 1 person occupying 3 seats.

Anybody who want to go to Jamaica will still fly there - even with no Air Jamaica flying.
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Was JALPA fighting so hard in Jamaica's interest or in their own?

Now you see it was a last minute bid.

Sorry fi the workers them but a so it go.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X