Cayman must be mad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cayman must be mad!

Jamaica should withdraw from these dibby-dibby games rather than shell out US $13k in fees for the 81 athletes and officials.

No Jamaica, then the games become a complete joke. Time we stamp out authority.....

Jamaican athletes and Carifta visas

Published: Thursday | March 25, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Dennie Quill, Contributor The unifying influence of sport cannot be overlooked nor can the overall discipline which it breathes into the life of athletes and their affiliates. This explains why the next two weekends will be glorious ones for Caribbean athletes and their adoring fans.
    First, the local Boys and Girls' Championship marks a century of competition at the National Stadium and next weekend, the Carifta Games will be staged in the Cayman Islands.
    The Carifta Games began in 1972 among English-speaking countries to mark the transition from the Caribbean Free Trade Association (Carifta) to the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). It was later expanded to include French- and Dutch-speaking countries.
    Amid all the intrigue and excitement that these games promise, I felt very distressed when I visited the Carifta Games website and learnt that of the 25 countries slated to participate, Jamaica and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Haiti[/COLOR][/COLOR] are the only two requiring visas for entry into the Cayman Islands. Matters concerning visas are touchy and right now some people have become very jittery about the fate of their visas. But we are talking about athletics here. These young men and women will their bodies and minds to achieve great feats and bring glory to their countries and joy to their fans.
    Deeply offended
    I saw no indication of a visa waiver for our athletes, so I have to accept that the information on the website is correct. Jamaican athletes would be required to pay US$58.54 processing fee and US$100 per visa. I mentioned this to a group of colleagues and it simultaneously provoked an outburst of indignation on behalf of our athletes. As proud Jamaicans all, they roundly condemned what they described as act of discrimination against our athletes. Everyone felt deeply offended by this action.
    I well remember when the Cayman Islands, a former dependency of Jamaica, decided to exhibit its superiority and introduce visas for Jamaicans visiting the islands. It is their right to do, but it signalled to me a downgrading of relations between two neighbours that share a common history and geography.
    I firmly believe that the local media were guilty of encouraging this move. Salivating at the prospect of finally getting the news they have long been waiting for, reporters would routinely asked the question every time an errant Jamaican ran afoul of the law. "So are you going to introduce visas?" Sure enough visas were eventually introduced.
    Basic questions
    Lost amid the media frenzy were a few basic questions which would not have escaped a good grub reporter, for example: Why chastise an entire country because of the actions of a few? Are there a large number of Jamaicans providing intellectual, technical and other skills to make your economy work successfully? Does it follow that the wrongdoers are an aberration?
    While the Cayman Islands stand to earn some US$500 million from next weekend's show, additional financial burden has been placed on Jamaican athletes. This imbalance needs fixing and one can only hope that coaches and other sport administrators such as the JAAA will take up this matter at the highest level.
    I would like to suggest as Jamaica assumes the chair at CARICOM this July, one of the items to be placed on the agenda is that countries in the region wishing to host cultural and sporting events should abolish visas for participants.
    Still let's be positive for our athletes. We hope the 39th Carifta Games will define itself by some thrilling performances and we expect great things from our Jamaican athletes.
    Dennie Quill is a veteran journalist. Send your comments to

how long wi a say dis?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It bun mi like hell.

Imagine charging the guest of honour to come to yuh party?
      This kinda madness must have a special name to rhatid cup.

Dem need to nyam dat fee. No way, Jose, do we pay!

Comment

Before we get all hot under the collar, can anyone tell me if it is a universal policy for athletes to be exempt from visas?

To the best of my knowledge they aren't and Jamaican athletes, Ugandan athletes, Afghan athletes, etc need visas to go to certain places (the USA, Canada...).

So if the Cayman Islands require visas for all Jamaicans then why should we expect Jamaican athletes to be exempt? It's not like athletes from other countries haven't run away before (Uganda, Afghanistan and Cuba are notorious for this) and this is Cayman where the possibility exists that said athletes have one or two relatives they could just stay with.

Besides, what about the flip-side of the situation? When Jamaica hosts the Carifta games would the Caymanian athletes not require visas? Remember Jamaica requires all Caymanians (those with the British Overseas Territory passport anyway) to have visas and the only way Caymanians can get US visas is by going to the US embassy in Kingston. That should be less of a problem for them now since Britain offered full citizenship to all Overseas Territory Citizens (so they now have the option of getting a normal British passport). The principle still stands though - if Jamaica wouldn't drop the visa requirements for Caymanian athletes, why shouldn't Cayman do likewise?

Comment

Cayman track team have pull?

When has reciprocity applied.

Canadians dont need visas to come to jamaica. Should we now impose it because we unequally yoked??

Why you not upset when the shoe on the other foot.

CARIFTA NEEDS Jamaica. Jamaica dont need Carifta.

Is like you dont understand.

LoL

Comment

Oh and dont forget.

They drew first blood with this visa business!

Keep yuh principle. Before I have a poor country like Jamaica shell out USD $13K fi visit and fill their stadium, I would rather withdraw and mek dem likkle meet flop. Better our athletes stay fresh fi Penns! LoL

Afterall with 10,000 Jammies there you can imagine the impact of the no show in a country of only 60,000 population.

Dem dyam brite!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
              Cayman track team have pull?

When has reciprocity applied.

Canadians dont need visas to come to jamaica. Should we now impose it because we unequally yoked??

Why you not upset when the shoe on the other foot.

CARIFTA NEEDS Jamaica. Jamaica dont need Carifta.

Is like you dont understand.

LoL
              I'm not upset because I know it is the way the world works.

Jamaicans need visas.

Jamaicans have done nothing to convince many countries in the world as to why we should be able to enter their countries visa-free. So when a country Costa Rica going to impose visas on us, I will be sad and I will bea little upset at those whose behaviour gave the excuse for visas but I wouldn't waste my time being upset at the country which imposed the visas. Even though I have relatives in Costa Rica (as a result of the migrations in the early 1900s) whom I will probably then need a visa just to see.

Jamaica can impose visas on Canadians and Britons and Americans, but it would probably kill the tourist industry and it would be totally unnecessary. How many Canadians and Britons flocking to come to Jamaica and reside here illegally?

On the other hand Jamaica imposes visas on Haitians. Should we lift those visa requirements?

As for Jamaica not needing Carifta and Carifta needing Jamaica. That may be true, but then the same could be said for the Olympics. Should we then not participate in London 2012 because Jamaicans need visas to go to the UK? Plus I'm sure Jamaicans needed visas to go to China, so should we have withdrawn then? And in the case of sporting events countries typically tighten their immigration requirements (think about Germany re-imposing border controls for the World Cup) they don't loosen them.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm fairly sure a number of recent visa impositions might have been delayed or avoided entirely if the Jamaican state was at least seen to be doing something about the perceived and actual problems of Jamaicans abroad. Do something about those who sully our name abroad and the perception (and thus the perceived problems) will change. Jamaica would then be viewed as trying to get a grip instead of letting everything and anything go as though we were a 2-bit hooker.

Comment

Originally posted by ReggaeMike View Post
                Should we then not participate in London 2012 because Jamaicans need visas to go to the UK?
                That's a thought! The London organizers would throw a fit if Bolt and company won't be there!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi agree!

You get what yuh negotiate.

Imagine if them was to give Bolt visa but not the rest of Racers????

Comment

Duppy know who fi frighten.

Yuh talk like things set in stone...

Comment

China impose visa pon everybody.

Cayman only does on two regional countries, one of which is the star of the meet.

Mek dem gwaan cut off dem nose fi spite dem face.

Or maybe yuh have the $13 grand fi fork out to the cash starved Caymanians??? LoL

Comment

Working...
                      X