RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you listening to? Dancehall it is fi me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you listening to? Dancehall it is fi me!

Come on now, Historian. Yuh cyaan say yuh nuh rate dis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUGXeW1s4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjy_3d2VV1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdRX0utK5c

Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall - baddess show pon TV!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

at this VERY moment...tiger rag by one ferdinand "jelly roll" morton

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

what tha...?

Gamma, yuh arite?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what can i say ..... unnuh slowly drove mi stark ravin' mad!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Eumir Deodato

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Come on now, Historian. Yuh cyaan say yuh nuh rate dis!

Magnum Kings and Queens of Dancehall - baddess show pon TV!
          Mosiah, I see you’re baiting me today . Well, guess what, you succeeded!!

The irony is that I had just finished listening to Eumir Deodato’s version of (Richard Strauss’) “Also Sprach Zarathursta.” Brazilian musician Deodato’s performance is, to me, one of the great recordings of modern times! Thankfully, it won a Grammy Award in 1973, that is, back in the days when a Grammy Award actually meant good music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcHSCAE-AE

Now Mo, you have to understand that harmony (that is, chord voicing, chord progressions, substitutions, chord extensions and alterations) are the essential elements of music that I most enjoy, followed very closely by good melody. Rhythm comes a distant third.

When I came online, after seeing your invitation for me to listen, I clicked on the YouTube links you provided for the Magnum Kings and Queens series.

I could only listen as far as Juggla (“Magnum Kings and Queens Week 7, Part 2”), and then couldn’t take anymore . I tried hard, boss, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was in some damn tenement yard listening to neighbors quarrelling. I grew up as a young musician and music lover believing that there should be a significant difference between high quality onstage performances on the one hand and, on the other, feisty neighbors having it out. Today’s dancehall performers have shown me that this difference does not always exist !

On the positive side, the female emcee was attractive, had a lovely voice, and had great onstage persona. Who is she?

I won’t waste your time or make new enemies on this message board by critiquing “Magnum Kings and Queens,” although I can. I’ll just comment on one performer, the first person to hit the stage, then I’ll leave. Is Reggae Queen tone deaf or something? Her voice seems to be going east while the harmony (what little could be heard from the sparse instruments) seemed to be going in the opposite direction.

Let’s get one thing clear, though. Dancehall’s beauty is in the rhythm, and nothing else. The typical dancehall rhythm is infectious and, with the pronounced emphasis on the offbeat, something that can be easily enjoyed by all. However, until more “real musicians” get deeply involved in the production end of things, then dancehall will remain just that: a genre with a solid foundation and a musically empty, useless superstructure.

Comment

I appreciate the effort, Historian. Not trying to torture you!

I will ask you some questions about this harmony and melody stuff later!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Historian, have you ever listened to an album called " Drums Of Passion" by a master Nigerian drummer called Olatunje. The intertwinning of rythm and melody I found breathtaking. From my cousin's collection and I beleive it was on vinyl in the 70's. Anyone know of Babatunde Olatunje?

Comment

nope...not me

Comment

Don't laugh but someone tell me how to do a youtube posting. This guy was/is awsome. Santana fans will recognize where Santana got some of his vibes as Santana covered at least one of his songs. Help.

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with Olatunji's work. Listened to a lot of him along with Hugh Masakele and Miriam Makeba back in the day. Can't say I listened with a discerning ear, however. African music was African music and I had a love for it for some obvious reasons.

And when your parents are buying the albums because they are the ones with the money...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

OK tell me how to post a youtube shot.

Comment

hehehe....Rudi... go to......yuh know wha, I gwine mek yuh suffer............
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

If unuh no tell me quick when I find out is pure Country & Western fi unuh and I'm not talking Johnny Cash Charlie Pride either. I'm talking real in bred stuff. You've been forewarned.

Comment

yo jangle...do what he say, do what he SAY!!!!!!!

Comment

him dun go mess it up a'ready with dat speech. A pure GAZA and GULLY we a deal wid pon ere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUu2DJH8gE
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X