Pirates of the Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates of the Caribbean

Maudib, as a man who have the Drivah's number programmed in your celly, give him a call and bring this to his attention nuh? I have been promoting Port Royal as a major tourist destination in Jamaica for years on this forum. Here is another golden opportunity being presented. The Pirates of the Caribbean is a billion dollar franchise, and the producers, Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer has decided not to film the latest episode in the Caribbean because of the high cost. This is a perfect opportunity for the GOJ to step in and make all sort of concessions and offer to have them film in Port Royal. The history of pirating in the Caribbean revolves around Port Royal. The windfall from having such a global franchise is immeasurable. This past week, HBO literally took over the little town that I work in to film some 1920's movie with a big named star. They were literally filming right outside my office. The town itself earned a good chunk of money and the police department licked their fingers. Since I have been here, this is about the fourth or fifth major film being shot in the town. The biggest one was with Richard Gere and some big name actress whose name I forget. The after-effect of a major blockbuster movie can be extremely profitable. Since week, I saw the Hobbittown from the Lord of the Rings trilogy being featured on America's Next Top Model. Pick up the phone and give your friend a call. Tell him to sic Ed Bartlett and JAMPRO on this.

04 May 2010 16:40
    Pirates Of The Caribbean - Disney Boss Orders Pirates Budget Cut

The fourth installment of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN franchise is facing steep budget cuts - the new boss of Disney has ordered the movie's production to be "mean and lean".
    Johnny Depp will return to the big screen as Captain Jack Sparrow in the latest high-seas adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
    The last movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, was one of the most expensive productions in film history, costing a staggering $300 million (£200,000) to make.
    And despite the series taking in a huge $2.68 billion at the global box office so far, Disney chairman Rich Ross has ordered producer Jerry Bruckheimer to cut costs by $100 million (£67 million) through a combination of cheaper locations and fewer takes.
    The moviemaker tells the Los Angeles Times, "He (Ross) wants to be mean and lean and make these movies very entertaining but also very cost effective.
    "The hard thing is you have to make painful decisions that cut into some very entertaining sequences. You have to figure out how to keep the movie very entertaining and give the audience more than what they expect and yet be cost-effective about it."
    It was reported last year (09) that the shooting of the film would be moved from the usual locations around the Caribbean and Los Angeles, to Hawaii and off the coast of England in a bid to save money.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

True words, Jangle!!! What an oppty!!! Sass, give Ed Bartlett a call nuh!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As long as the REAL cost of getting them here is not some ridiculous figure that we will never recoup, its worth investigating.

Often times we underestimate what the true cost of these things are. I remember a story from the 1990s when UB40 offered to perform a concert for charity in JA, once the expenses were paid. Turns out that the expenses for thier crew and set would totally outstrip the budget for the concert.

I don't know the figures, just saying that most times it is more complicated than it looks.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Even if the cost/expenses/concessions were to amount to US$100m, I think the financial benefit from having Port Royal and Jamaica being prominently promoted in such a film far outweighs the initial investment. The movie is a guaranteed worldwide hit. Bringing the production here will force the development of Port Royal which will be long-lasting. With the airport 10 minutes away; the planned development of the roadworks; the natural harbour; we would have a ready-made tourist attraction for the cruise ship passengers.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

And you came up with that figure how?

Maybe 100M is worth it, I don't know. I just know that the Caribbean spent a hell of a lot of money building a bunch of stadiums for World Cup cricket, most of which are mostly sheltering goats right now.

At the time the public was told to "consider the tourism benefits". Well, were there any? Tourists don't just jump and run come because of one event, there has to be a much bigger plan.

That said, I am in full agreement that Port Royal is a potential gold mine.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I came up with that number based on the amount that the producer was ordered to cut cost by. The JTB has a pretty decent marketing record and I agree that "building" the product without proper marketing would be a waste. However, the whole concept of bringing cruise lines to have their passengers visit such a historical site that was visually brought to life by such a big movie, would be a very easy sell. Also, because of Port Royal's remoteness, visitors can be made to feel safer without intermingling with the thugs of Kingston's ghettos. It is a win-win. Can you imagine the cottage industry? Gloria wouldn't have hands feh sell her famous seafood dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              Gloria wouldn't have hands feh sell her famous seafood dishes.
              and she would haffi find a way fi speed up people ordah. dat hour and half ting nat going to work!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

She would be forced to invest in more modern kitchen equipment with a steady stream of customers.

Comment

Yeah there are great possibilities there, no question.

Even before the movies, from the first time I went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney, I shook my head and wondered what Port Royal could be.

I saw something on Port Royal on the Travel Channel recently,but it wasn't much. There was a lady showing some banged up forks and plates that supposedly some pirates used to eat out of.

Comment

yup. She was one of my long-time girlfriend.

Comment

That is near Downtown.. well somewhat.. The Pirates may not survive the Dons of the Caribbean..

Comment

Working...
                      X