• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow

The unqualified hold the jobs
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dear Editor,
    For some time now I have been mystified by the complaints of many graduates from our tertiary institutions that they are unable to find jobs.
    Apart from the fact that obtaining a degree is no mean task, it can also be very expensive. When you take into consideration that most students have to seek help by way of a student loan, the matter becomes even more of a challenge because after graduating and even before finding a job, they have to start repaying their student loans.
    I decided to try to find out how these graduates were having such a problem so I randomly called three places - a commercial bank, a pharmacy and an airline.
    The first place I called was my bank. When someone answered the phone I was very impressed by her courteousness and the way she sounded, and after identifying myself I said, "I am trying to find out the balance on my account. Can you help me?" She replied in her very charming voice, "Yes, Sir, I certainly can."
    After waiting for what appeared to be an eternity she came back to the phone and asked me to hold on. I held on again for several more minutes and then she returned, identified herself and asked me if she could help me. I repeated my request and she replied, "Oh sorry, please hold on."
    I got the distinct impression that she could not bring up the screen on her computer and she did not want to ask anybody to help her because she is supposed to know how to bring up a screen. So after several more minutes she made up a balance and gave me.
    I called her the following day and after buttering her up I asked, "By the way, how many subjects do you have?" To my astonishment she said that she had none, but she was going to school and hoped to get her subjects.
    I then called a pharmacy where I have been buying drugs for many years and I asked for the pharmacist. The reply I got immediately was, "Speaking."
    I told her I needed the generic name for a particular drug and after several minutes she said, "I cannot find it, Sir", I then asked her if she dispensed drugs and she replied, "Certainly, I do." I then asked her if she was a qualified pharmacist and she said, " No."
    Now here is a person doing a job that people spend several years at a tertiary institution to obtain a degree in pharmacology, and the very job that they are trying to get after graduating is held by someone who is not qualified to hold the position.
    Then there is the person working at the airline in a reasonable position and her total qualification is a Level 3 pass in CXC accounts.
    I have outlined these three jobs that are filled by people who are not qualified to hold them, yet there are hundreds of university graduates who are unable to pick up a job because all the jobs are taken by unqualified people. Isn't this remarkable?
    Kensington Spencer
    ken3_1999@yahoo.com

This goes to show that college is overrated.

Comment

It does? How so?

I have to say I have a hard time believing some of that letter.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

because at the end a di day, a links mek u get thru.

Comment

makes perfect sense. they cannot afford (or is it do not want to pay) persons with degrees to do those jobs. regarding the pharmacist, she probably thought he asked if this was "the pharmacy" ..... does not surprise me in the least.

persons with degrees are looking to make a little more than barely above minimum wage salary.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I find his stories hard to believe. Are people really going to tell someone on the other end of the line how many subjects they passed and the grade they got in it? Sorry, not believable.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

But come now Gamma, you don't need a degree to bring up a balance on a computer screen.

When i was leaving high school in the country ,if you were not going to further your studies one of the best jobs you could get was in the bank and so bank jobs were usually first choice by the high school graduates with better passes. Can't imagine that it has got to the point where people who cannot pass any CXC get bank jobs.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not believing that man's story!
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

no you don't ... but they got what they were willing to pay for! in your day, although the job was pretty much the same, the money could go further, the pound sterling was really strong in those days!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

not sure about the empirical methodology but knowing that a some people who were trained teachers preferred to go into hairdressing because it paid better, i am not surprised.

Comment

LOL, we not that customer service oriented!

Him would more likely get two ******************** for an answer if him ask a Jamaican a question like dat.

Comment

I agree with you, those jobs are not very high paying jobs so they get anyone they can to fill them and not many 'degreed' people would take them as after taxes and student loan pay-out they would have to beg a ride home.

Saying that I have seen many people with degrees who are not very literate either and their spelling makes me look like a veritable dictionary
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

I recall when I left high school my mother could not afford to pay whatever it was then to go to Community College and I had to go find a job but it was hard going even though I had seven passes in CXC and GCE.

Some of my classmates who did not do as well as I had however did not have any problems landing cushy jobs at the bank and at the airlines etc..

So i ended up going to help out a brethren at the then Radio WAVES, assisting him in putting together their three times a week sportscast.
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

wow!!!

Comment

LOL! yes that bad..
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X