• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lie Or No Lie, Bruce Must Resign

Lie Or No Lie, Bruce Must Resign
    Published: Tuesday | May 18, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Gordon Robinson, attorney-at-law, Contributor

The Jamaica Labour Party's defence of its leader is centred on defending an allegation that he lied to Parliament. But nobody has made that allegation. Certainly, I have not. It's clearly alleged that he misled Parliament which is a different spinning of webs entirely.

But, it's not so much the misleading, or even lying, that's the real resigning issue. The prime minister must resign because of his actions - the misleading was intended to cover up. My own reasons for concluding that resignation is the only option are clearly set out in an article (My kingdom for a don) published on Sunday, May 16 and they are:

(1) He sanctioned a scheme that included persistent attempts by the JLP's lawyer to induce the solicitor general of Jamaica (SG) to retain a JLP lobbyist to act for the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) and thereby embark upon what the prime minister himself has admitted would've been an irreconcilable conflict of interest and duty;

(2) He sanctioned a scheme that included a transparent conspiracy between the JLP and a foreign lobbyist for the lobbyist to worm its way unlawfully into government-to-government negotiations on behalf of the JLP under the pretence that it was acting for the GOJ;

(3) The prime minister never once warned the SG of the murky ethical waters into which he was being led nor did he warn US State Department/Justice officials that they were dealing with an impostor.

These are matters in which the prime minister either expressly colluded or for which he's expressly responsible having "sanctioned the initiative". Against the backdrop that this initiative was hatched in order to subvert the extradition process of a person indicted for drug and gunrunning charges; against the backdrop of more than 500 murders so far this year (as opposed to 150-odd in a panic-stricken Chicago and 160-odd in Iraq); and against the backdrop of the established link between politics and crime in Jamaica - this is why he must resign.

Alleged breach

We must never forget that the Government's refusal to have the courts enquire into the extradition request is based on an alleged breach of the Interception of Communications Act which cannot be proved for the simple reason that the Government doesn't have all the facts. We must never forget that the US government has disclosed to the Jamaican Government that, in addition to the telephone tapes, they have the live witnesses who spoke to "the president" and who have testified that they carried out his instructions.

The tapes are unnecessary. The US can easily convict without them.

So, what was the purpose of the initiative if Karl Samuda's latest story is to be believed which is that it wasn't the JLP's purpose that the extradition request was to be withdrawn? Was the purpose then to find out who the witnesses were? The first knee-jerk reaction by the Government in September was to ask for their names. Did the initiative include a plot to prise these names from the US government under the pretext of a local settlement of the impasse? If the request was to remain, but Presi wasn't to be extradited, what other purpose could there be for the initiative?

The prime minister must stop telling us what was NOT the purpose of his initiative and tell us exactly what that purpose was. He must place all the cards on the table. Who was Brady's client? Obviously, it must be a person within the JLP who is also very close to West Kingston since nobody else would have the interest in the proceedings or the clout to raise the funding. Who fits that bill? Who paid that bill? Driva says he knows who. He must tell us or resign. He must establish beyond peradventure that the scheme wasn't his. Or resign.

And, if this stubborn, disgraceful, arrogant dismissal of the people's concerns continues, I call upon the private sector of Jamaica and the Church to rescue us from Driva. Stop preaching. Don't issue another statement. No member of the private sector or the Church must sit on a single government board or participate in a single government programme until Driva comes clean and resigns. And, even if when he comes clean, it shows that he knew not that he knew not, he must still resign. He sanctioned the initiative.

I implore the press to stop permitting the JLP to continue to respond to a red herring and to focus on the real issues.

Peace and Love.

Gordon Robinson is an attorney-at-law. Feedback may be sent to columns@gleanerjm.com.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

These are the questions we want asked and we expect answers!

Crippled !
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Lie Or No Lie, Bruce Must Resign
      Published: Tuesday | May 18, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Gordon Robinson, attorney-at-law, Contributor

The Jamaica Labour Party's defence of its leader is centred on defending an allegation that he lied to Parliament. But nobody has made that allegation. Certainly, I have not. It's clearly alleged that he misled Parliament which is a different spinning of webs entirely.

But, it's not so much the misleading, or even lying, that's the real resigning issue. The prime minister must resign because of his actions - the misleading was intended to cover up. My own reasons for concluding that resignation is the only option are clearly set out in an article (My kingdom for a don) published on Sunday, May 16 and they are:

(1) He sanctioned a scheme that included persistent attempts by the JLP's lawyer to induce the solicitor general of Jamaica (SG) to retain a JLP lobbyist to act for the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) and thereby embark upon what the prime minister himself has admitted would've been an irreconcilable conflict of interest and duty;

(2) He sanctioned a scheme that included a transparent conspiracy between the JLP and a foreign lobbyist for the lobbyist to worm its way unlawfully into government-to-government negotiations on behalf of the JLP under the pretence that it was acting for the GOJ;

(3) The prime minister never once warned the SG of the murky ethical waters into which he was being led nor did he warn US State Department/Justice officials that they were dealing with an impostor.

These are matters in which the prime minister either expressly colluded or for which he's expressly responsible having "sanctioned the initiative". Against the backdrop that this initiative was hatched in order to subvert the extradition process of a person indicted for drug and gunrunning charges; against the backdrop of more than 500 murders so far this year (as opposed to 150-odd in a panic-stricken Chicago and 160-odd in Iraq); and against the backdrop of the established link between politics and crime in Jamaica - this is why he must resign.

Alleged breach

We must never forget that the Government's refusal to have the courts enquire into the extradition request is based on an alleged breach of the Interception of Communications Act which cannot be proved for the simple reason that the Government doesn't have all the facts. We must never forget that the US government has disclosed to the Jamaican Government that, in addition to the telephone tapes, they have the live witnesses who spoke to "the president" and who have testified that they carried out his instructions.

The tapes are unnecessary. The US can easily convict without them.

So, what was the purpose of the initiative if Karl Samuda's latest story is to be believed which is that it wasn't the JLP's purpose that the extradition request was to be withdrawn? Was the purpose then to find out who the witnesses were? The first knee-jerk reaction by the Government in September was to ask for their names. Did the initiative include a plot to prise these names from the US government under the pretext of a local settlement of the impasse? If the request was to remain, but Presi wasn't to be extradited, what other purpose could there be for the initiative?

The prime minister must stop telling us what was NOT the purpose of his initiative and tell us exactly what that purpose was. He must place all the cards on the table. Who was Brady's client? Obviously, it must be a person within the JLP who is also very close to West Kingston since nobody else would have the interest in the proceedings or the clout to raise the funding. Who fits that bill? Who paid that bill? Driva says he knows who. He must tell us or resign. He must establish beyond peradventure that the scheme wasn't his. Or resign.

And, if this stubborn, disgraceful, arrogant dismissal of the people's concerns continues, I call upon the private sector of Jamaica and the Church to rescue us from Driva. Stop preaching. Don't issue another statement. No member of the private sector or the Church must sit on a single government board or participate in a single government programme until Driva comes clean and resigns. And, even if when he comes clean, it shows that he knew not that he knew not, he must still resign. He sanctioned the initiative.

I implore the press to stop permitting the JLP to continue to respond to a red herring and to focus on the real issues.

Peace and Love.

Gordon Robinson is an attorney-at-law. Feedback may be sent to columns@gleanerjm.com.
      Clear and exactly on point analysis.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

bruce must resign... no two ways about it... he must step down... gordon robinson is on point again... cant get nuh clearer...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

not sure he is. I dont know if the U.S can convict without the tapes.. Rally how would he know that. I think the issue is Bruce is contradicting his platform of doing away with garrison and dons if he is advocating for one and secondly this thing had gotten into the way of governance of the country.. I think that is the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            not sure he is. I dont know if the U.S can convict without the tapes.. Rally how would he know that. I think the issue is Bruce is contradicting his platform of doing away with garrison and dons if he is advocating for one and secondly this thing had gotten into the way of governance of the country.. I think that is the truth.
            If the US has the witnesses to the conspiracy they claim (ie co-conspirators who will give state's evidence) then of course they can convict without the tapes.

Obviously if they had disclosed these witnesses to GOJ as GOJ and Finson demanded then their families and connections would be subject to extreme intimidation and/or termination by Showa to try to influence their testimony or just plain retribution..... the US would be aware of this certainty....and no additional evidence would be provided to Jamaica
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Mi Lazie and Maudib dat areadi - Dat Likkle Brucie lied and lied and lied..., we know. ..but dat is not di big deal.

Di big deal is Likkle Brucie pull hout haul di staps fi defend DON Dudus!
              ...raada dan di citizens!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

...the point is likkle Brucie pull hout haul di staps fi defend - DON aka Big Criminal weh vice deh pan tape seh im a gun running and drug pushing DON!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

oj, none of us know all that the usa has in terms of evidence... the little that they have leaked out suggest they have more than enough evidence to earn a conviction...

it is rare that the feds would expend that much time and resource without sufficient quality evidence to earn a conviction...

bruce must resign...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

understand the take but again i am not looking at it from a party perspective.. dont care much for any p... but i dont know if he has the capacity to lead.

Comment

it seems the U.S. have much more on this than the tapes based on the the affidavits submitted

Comment

i'm wondering now...did they get the informant first or did they get the informant as a result of the tapes? i hope the informant was first otherwise a whole host of things may be subject to the exclusionary rules of evidence stateside

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

understand the take but again i am not looking at it from a party perspective.. dont care much for any p... but i dont know if he has the capacity to lead.
                          He does not have the authority after those actions to protect the Don.
                          Certainly, he should not be allowed to!

Comment

Working...
                          X