• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A martyr for Air Jamaica and Jamaican pilots

A martyr for Air Jamaica and Jamaican pilots
    BY TANYA BURKE
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I am no pilot. I am best qualified as a passenger.

I did not know Captain Capleton but for his brief moments of airtime on television or radio discussing JALPA's desire to acquire "My Air Jamaica". He became the voice for voiceless Jamaicans, proud of Air Jamaica, but too broke to assist JALPA acquire the airline in any significant way.

From the little I have observed, Captain Capleton, like so many of our pilots, served Air Jamaica not only for the love of flying but for the indescribable and sometimes unfathomable love for the national airline. Flying for Air Jamaica, I am told, is a childhood dream made reality for many a Jamaican pilot.

No sooner than I started to accept the orchestrated demise of Air Jamaica which left me grieving the loss of the country's last symbol of national pride, I am left to grieve the passing of a stalwart in the fight for Air Jamaica. Words cannot convey how deeply saddened and hurt I am by Captain

Capleton's death. Literally and figuratively, Captain Capleton seems to have died broken-hearted, having seen his valiant efforts dashed as the Government of Jamaica did everything in its power to ensure it gave away "that little piece of Jamaica that flies".

For those of us who are left to mourn Captain Capleton's death and pick up the pieces of despair, hopelessness, distrust and destruction our government has left behind, we must hasten to take a page or two from Captain Capleton's leadership of JALPA in its efforts to acquire "Our Air Jamaica".

Despite the inexplicably recalcitrant posture of the Government of Jamaica towards JALPA, Captain Capleton was nevertheless respectful yet forthright, adamant yet courteous, passionate yet level-headed, rejected yet persistent and professional. His approach was lost on a government so accustomed to responding favourably to "bullyism", "badmanism" and "block road-ism".

To the family and friends of a man who knowingly sacrificed his time, energy and expertise for a noble and worthy cause, in an environment where people sit in silence and accept whatever is thrust upon them; in an environment where good men who speak up stand alone, I offer my most sincere condolences. You were fortunate to have known and loved the gentleman.

To the Jamaican pilots, Captain Russell Capleton, sacrificed his career and his life for a cause worth fighting for. My sympathy goes out to you all, but I implore you not to let his passing be in vain. It is my prayer that his death will be the catalyst for all Air Jamaica and Jamaican pilots worldwide to unite and start their own airline.

To the people of Jamaica, may Captain Capleton's peaceful slumber be your wake-up call! It's time for each of us to do as Bob Marley prompted us to do, " Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!"

We have a voice. Let the Government of Jamaica hear it - loud and clear! But do it Capleton-style!

Rest in peace, Captain Russell Capleton and may light perpetual shine upon you.

Tanya Burke is an attorney at law.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...pilots_7622210
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X