• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LETTER OF THE DAY - The PM's political 'brilliance'

LETTER OF THE DAY - The PM's political 'brilliance'

Published: Thursday | May 20, 2010

The Editor, Sir:
    Now that the dust has settled and we all have the benefit of hindsight with regard to the prime minister's fine oratorical performance on Monday night, a number of things come to light that should alter at least one commonly held perception.

This perception, indeed one in which I previously subscribed to, is that the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), and in particular its leader, Bruce Golding, for all his diplomacy and seemingly reason, lacks political savvy when compared to his People's National Party (PNP) counterpart and some of his predecessors. This perception should surely be laid to rest this past week when Mr Golding produced a stroke of sheer political genius, the likes of which the P.J Pattersons and D.K. Duncans of this world can only look on in envy and admiration.

What was seen as a huge political blunder by most, citing a disconnect between what was uttered at the press conference in St Ann by the party chairman and the general secretary on Sunday, and the penitent, remorseful display by the prime minister on Monday, was all a part of one of the most brilliant master plans ever crafted by a in this country.

Knowing full well that the country is not willing to accept the PNP as a viable alternative at this time, even against a backdrop of most of civil society calling for his head, by sending out two of the most senior members of his party, one also being the deputy prime minister, Mr Golding was able to let Messrs Samuda and Baugh do to themselves what his predecessor, Edward Seaga did to him, without the nastiness of a public spat. In one fell swoop, he allowed them to demonstrate to Jamaica that there was no viable alternative for leadership within the JLP at this time. So Jamaica "Yuh betta stay wid me cause nuh better nuh deh!" And who seh dis man don't know? [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Going forward however, I make one request of the prime minister though. I need him to define clearly when it is that may wear their party hats? Is it that one can give but not receive as a party man? Or is it when we deal with figures of US$40,000 as opposed to US$31 million that form the line of demarcation? This would be handy information for the nation as well as the Speaker of the House to have going forward to prevent any confusion on matters of order.

Walk good Jamaica, the best is yet to come.
    I am, etc.,
    PETER BROOKS
    sakutso@hotmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This guy is having a laugh and it is all about Likle Bruce's chess play!

He believes and I also do...that Likle Brucie's has backed himself into being "Check-mated"

Weh Maudib, deh?!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X