• Show
Clear All

• Address By The Mh Portia Simpson Miller To Special Nec

ADDRESS TO THE SPECIAL NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL

OF THE PEOPLE’S NATIONAL PARTY

By PARTY LEADER, THE MOST HONOURABLE PORTIA SIMPSON MILLER

SUNDAY, MAY 16, 2010
    Salutations
    Thank you answering the call to this special NEC.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 was undoubtedly the darkest day in Jamaica’s political history. On that day the Prime Minister made certain damning admissions in Parliament that left the nation regarding the Manatt, Phelps and Phillips issue, that left the nation reeling.

So dark was the hour and so deep the stain that every conscious citizen and every patriotic Jamaican was left in a disoriented state. The mood of the nation was one of utter disbelief and shock.

I have been involved in politics for a very long time. I have seen individuals bring dishonour to themselves, their various administrations and to their Party. Never in my life have I seen the leadership of this country, plot, collude and scheme; with the explicit sanction of the Prime Minister.

Never have I witnessed such brazen and barefaced deception and betrayal of the trust of the Jamaican people.

That is why we are here today. Despite all our challenges and our struggles over the years, we have never been dragged to such horrendous depths. Comrades K.D. Knight, Peter Phillips , A.J. Nicholson and Peter Bunting have shared the details of the Manatt Phelps and Phillips issue with you.

It culminated with the Peoples National Party insistence that Bruce Golding had lost the confidence of the people and the Opposition, and must resign. Well-thinking, principled Jamaicans, including the Umbrella Group of Churches and Jamaicans for Justice, saw the seriousness of Mr. Golding’s actions and responded quickly, instinctively and with indignation. They said enough is enough. They too demanded the resignation of the Prime Minister.

The Matatt Phelps and Phillips Scandal is a serious international issue. Jamaica is a signatory to the international treaties associated with this matter. Comrades, this situation brought about brand new differences between Jamaica and members of the international community of nations. This matter is about Jamaica and our relationship with the rest of world. Its significance has proven to be enormous.

While the domestic issues of whether we can trust our leadership are important, the matter of the trust placed in us by the international community is also critical. Whether or not we behave like a responsible sovereign state, is being considered by the rest of the world.

They are looking on. They are watching every move we make and every step we take, very, very closely. Comrades, the issue is not about PNP and JLP!

The Prime Minister must do the right thing and tender his resignation to the Governor General. I also repeat my call for Miss Lightbourne to resign. She too must do the honourable thing.

These troubling things that are affecting our nation adversely, make my job particularly challenging today.

Permit me Comrades, to use this opportunity to speak to the growing number of Jamaicans who say they are inclined not to believe anything coming out of the mouths of persons in politics. To them I say, we have heard your voices. I have read the opinions of some of our young people.

Some believe that the situation we have found ourselves in, as a nation, leaves them with no choice in leadership. Many feel, as Jimmy Cliff said, as if they are ‘sitting here in limbo waiting for the dice to roll.

I know that this Manatt, Phelps and Phillips scandal has served to deepen the disappointment that many Jamaicans feel about our political system. We also know that some of these Jamaicans are not happy with us as a Party either, Comrades.

We must be big enough to recognize it, mature enough to admit it and strong enough to address it. We, as a nation, must understand that this present crossroads in our nation’s history provides us an opportunity to decide where we want to go as a people. Now we must look to the way forward.

I too have been reflecting on our political situation and on governance. This situation has reinforced the importance of dialogue, participation and consultation. To all of you who feel alienated, in invite you to let us use our energies as a transformative force. I encourage you to get engaged and to stay engaged. Help to be the change we all desire. We in the PNP know that the feelings of mistrust that some Jamaican people are now enduring did not begin with the Manatt Phelps and Phillips Saga.

There is truth in the notion that politics in Jamaica had been associated with violence and mayhem. Lest we forget, however, our nation has made progress. Former Prime Ministers P.J. Patterson and Edward Seaga found common ground. They began to deal with the issues of political tribalism. Elections were held in an atmosphere of friendly rivalry and civility, void of violence of the past. Tensions were significantly reduced. During election campaigns, PNP, JLP and persons who are no ‘P’ at all, interacted peacefully in the streets.

Prime Ministers Seaga and Patterson reformed the electoral system, which is now a model among democratic countries of the world. In addition, consultations took place between the parties at Vale Royal. Decisions such as the reform of the Public Services Commission, appointments to the Police Services Commission and draft of the charter of Rights were achieved. The Memorandum of Understanding was developed between private sector employers and trade unions. In addition to the public sector MOU’s between government and the public sector workers. There were other efforts to bring the society together as well as to plan long term for the nation’s development.

This Manatt Phelps and Phillips saga has revealed that despite the progress made over time, we now find that the nation has moved backwards. Sadly, on the matter of crime and violence and the linkage with partisan politics, the country has regressed. Our frightening crime statistics and reputation for involvement in illegal activities has, in recent times, overshadowed some of the world-beating achievements of Jamaicans in many areas of endeavour.

The roots of that connection are a matter of historical importance, but the full story has never been told. There is plenty of blame to go around. But whatever happened in the past, it is now abundantly clear that under the present circumstances, Jamaica cannot reach its full potential as a nation. The dreams of our Vision 2030 cannot be achieved unless the body politic is cleansed of any connections with crime in general and organised crime in particular. It is incumbent on us to halt this slide.

The Way Forward

The Peoples National Party has long committed itself to the process of ridding the country’s politics of those connections. It has not merely been “mouth talk”.

Our track record speaks for itself.

· We made significant inroads in detribalizing our politics,

· We passed legislation to make Government more accountable and transparent

· We strengthened the police force and gave them a free hand to do their work and enforce the law.

· We have tackled the difficult and dangerous task of ridding Jamaica from the grip of organized crime.

· The records will show that the PNP has never been afraid to bring to book those on the wrong side of the law, even those who claimed to support us.

As a Party we have not been perfect. However, Comrades, in the ‘here-and-now’, the PNP is ready willing and able to be part of a conversation with our people so that we can develop the policies, programmes and mechanisms to detribalize the society and eradicate the links between governance systems and criminality.

Today I come to the membership of this National Executive Council of the People’s National Party with a charge in the strongest and most strident terms. I charge you to look in the mirror! Each and every one of us in this room can learn from the situation in which the nation finds itself.

Any leader, at whatever level of the PNP must see this as a wake-up call, and learn from it. Each one of us must reflect on the leadership roles we play. We must review the values, attitudes, morals and ethics that we bring to the leadership we offer. Comrades, as a Party, we must understand that this present crossroads provides us in the PNP with an opportunity to introspect.

The standards of conduct demanded of our leaders have changed. The bar has been raised, and should continue to rise until Jamaica has rid itself of the challenges which are holding the country back. Our introspection must begin with the recognition that Jamaicans are hurting deep, deep down inside. Each and every one of us must use this opportunity to ensure that we meet the expectations of the Jamaican people, consistent with the ideals and principles on which this noble party was founded.

Our General Secretary and spokesperson on National Security spoke on behalf of the Party when he said, “The People’s National Party categorically repudiates and disassociates itself from all and any alliance, dependency, or common cause with organized crime and the gang culture, which are together responsible for the vast majority of our murders. This is the cause for which we are prepared to expend political capital.

This sentiment guides both our party activities and our plans for governance.

The issue of what are called ‘garrison communities’ is central to this. I say to you today Comrades, as Party Leader, former Prime Minister and Opposition Leader all in one, the People’s National Party, is prepared to be part of the dialogue on the issue of garrison politics.

We are willing to sit with those who have studied this issue and all who have ideas on the matter to define and examine the character of the communities we now call garrisons.

We want to work out a practical way to address these issues. We recognize that this will mean changing a way of life, a culture and a psychology of real people. We are willing to chart a course of action on this issue. We however recognize, even as we move to make the necessary changes, that the majority of the persons living in the communities are decent, peace loving people. Many of them are living in fear, even more fear than the rest of us.

The PNP is clear that no community that is predominantly supportive of our Party shall be made into an exclusive enclave onto itself, where gangsters rule the roost and the police cannot uphold the law of the land. That is not the PNP way!

Comrades, keeping to our commitment to shun crime and violence may be difficult and challenging for some if a desperate Jamaica Labour Party uses violence as part of its strategy to hold onto power. This fight against evil transcends all boundaries and divisions, political and otherwise. All decent Jamaicans must band together. We cannot cower in fear. We must stand up for what is right and decent. We must be true to the sacrifices of our ancestors.

We must commit ourselves, once again, to building the Jamaica where the rule of law prevails and decent Jamaicans at all levels can live their lives without fear. To this the PNP is committed.

Integrity Commission

That is why we have placed emphasis on the ethics and integrity of our noble movement and the persons who are members and representatives.

The recently established Integrity Commission is the manifestation of the PNP’s commitment to a strong, credible stance against corruption within the Party and more generally within the nation. This is an independent commission.

The Commission is comprised of five members. For utmost transparency, three of the Integrity Commissioners, including the Chairman, are not members of the Members of the People’s Party. The independent members of the Integrity Commission are Chairman – Bishop Wellesley Blair; actuary, Mrs. Daisy Coke, and retired Permanent Secretary, Cedric McCulloch. The two Commissioners who are members of the PNP are Mr. Burchell Whiteman, an educator and former Cabinet Member, and prominent attorney and Queens Counsel, Mr. Fred Hamaty, a former Senator.

All the Integrity Commissioners are distinguished Jamaicans who are acknowledged to be of high repute. Now that we have formed the body, the Party leadership and the Commissioners have met. They have received their terms of reference. They will examine the persons who will become candidates of the Peoples National Party, to ensure that they can stand the test of time.

The Commissioners will also monitor the party members conduct, as Opposition or as government. It is a step in the direction we want our country to take. Comrades, the People’s National Party has been looking in the mirror!

Human Resources

This brings us to the matter of the PNP’s team. Comrades, we cannot predict so we must prepare. A word to the wise is sufficient. At this crossroads, it is imperative that, as a Party, we ensure that all hands are on deck. Comrades, we need your physical presence and your brainpower to build our party and ultimately build our nation.

If you have ideas, let us hear them. If you see deficiencies, let us know. Come to the Headquarters and make yourself available, there is a lot to be done and you can help. Each and every one of you is needed in your communities and beyond. I have been looking at the best ways to deploy the human resources that are available to us.

I will ensure that we have the absolutely best team in place to rescue our beloved country. This team will be drawn from the talent pool of persons within the party who have proven themselves both as thinkers and workers. The team will also be comprised of persons from outside of the party who have time and talent to offer.

Comrades, this is not going to be easy. Some of us will have to make sacrifices. Some of us will have to take on new assignments. Some of us will have to go back to our constituencies to make sure that the business of the nation and of the People’s National Party is on a sure footing.

Progressive Agenda

Comrades, we have spoken about the PNP’s team, now I will address the PNP’s policy. The unprecedented turmoil threatening the very foundation of governance in our country highlights, now, more than ever, the need for a different type of politics.

There is the need for a politics of consultation; a politics of accountability; and most of all, a politics of honesty.

Comrades, significant progress has been made with the Progressive Agenda. Education and Human Resource Development are the foundations upon which the Progressive Agenda rests.

Public and private consultations are on-going with stakeholders at all levels of society. Some exciting new proposals are being developed to:

· Enhance our human resource development

· Develop a safe and just society

· Institute mechanisms of participation accountability and responsibility,

· Pursue progressive international relationships

· Expand economic opportunities,

· and to return Jamaica to fundamental values of trust, industry and respect.

The pillars of the Progressive Agenda will ensure that we improve outcomes in people’s lives. However, fundamental to the Progressive agenda is the PAR - Participation, Accountability and Responsibility. It seeks to lay the moral and ethical basis for the PNP’s quest to rescue Jamaica. It is the blueprint to which we commit ourselves to usher in a new type of politics. We will hold ourselves to the highest levels of integrity. We will be transparent in the management and use of public resources. We will require integrity and ensure zero tolerance for corruption in the public and private sectors.

We will emphasize the importance of personal responsibility and accountability for our actions. It cannot be about sweet words. It must be about consistency in action.

Conclusion

I will admit to you Comrades, that this week I was saddened, to see where our country has been taken to. I felt the pain of seeing the depths to which it has been brought. As a nation we have been shaken, but my faith has certainly not been moved. We have had to stand up for principle. We have had to stand up for what is right and honourable.

This is not about PNP or JLP. It is about Jamaica and the Jamaican people.

Even as we all look inwards, and even as there is a cloud of uncertainty hanging over our island, we must recognize that today is a watershed day. It is an opportunity for healing, advancement, repairing the breach and restoring the hope.

I take my inspiration from an awesome God. I am also inspired by the hearts and minds of Jamaican innovators like Beres Hammond and Pam Hall who remind us that we are a strong people with an eternally strong bloodline and that;

We’ve come a long, long way, and still survive through the storm. Pam and Beres tell us, if we make it this far we can go all the way. Today, I call on the Church and all people of Jamaica to pray for our nation. I call for prayer specifically for Mr. Golding, his family, the leaders of the JLP and the members of that Party.

Comrades, whatever the outcome of this situation, this is not a time to gloat or be uncharitable. Every single Jamaican has to be a part of moving our nation in a positive direction. We all have to say and mean the words of the patriotic anthem…which says,

I pledge my heart forever,

To serve with humble pride,

This shining homeland ever

As long as earth abide,

I pledge my heart this island,

As God and faith shall live

My work my strength, my love and my loyalty to give

O green isle of theIindies

Jamaica strong and free

Our vows and loyal promises

O heartland, ‘tis to thee

Comrades, Jamaicans, brothers and sisters, Marcus Mosiah Garvey gives us the strength to move on as a nation when he said.

Let me say a great future is in store for us

We have no cause to lose hope

To become feint hearted

We must realize that upon ourselves depend our destiny, our future

We must carve out that future, that destiny
    I believe in our people. I believe in you. I believe in our country. I believe that together we can build a nobler Jamaica. Arise and answer the call
    PNP MEDIA CENTRE
    PNP HEADQUARTERS
    OLD HOPE ROAD, KINGSTON, JAMAICA
    TEL: 876 465 1060
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
    [

I have been involved in politics for a very long time. I have seen individuals bring dishonour to themselves, their various administrations and to their Party. Never in my life have I seen the leadership of this country, plot, collude and scheme; with the explicit sanction of the Prime Minister.

Never have I witnessed such brazen and barefaced deception and betrayal of the trust of the Jamaican people.

Comment

When the roll is called upon yonder, none of them will hear them name!
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

okay. please state the occasion when there has been a more brazen and barefaced deception of the trust of the jamaican people.

thanks in advance!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Deception is deception. Now yuh want to nitpick?

Comment

that is the response by those who have no shame. one can lie about a stained dress, or whether or not one has smoke ganja in the past. that is not what Liad Bruce did.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes yuh party is lily white. Before this which was the biggest deception?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                Yes yuh party is lily white. Before this which was the biggest deception?
                Hope for you still...an admission that this is the mother of all Jamaica political deceptions.

btw - You left off the thought of this being worse than a deception.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

hey, given all that has transpired over the last 9 months, i would rather be a loyal comrade than a loyal labourite, any day of the week.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Admission? Mother of all political deceptions? Hahaahahhha ahahahaahah

Comment

Working...
                    X