X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 bikes siezed...'Cowboy' cracks whip..1/2Way3

'Cowboy' cracks whip on bikers

Published: Thursday | June 10, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Superintendent Derrick 'Cowboy' Knight keeps an eye on a wrecker laden with motorbikes during a police operation in Half-Way Tree, St Andrew, yesterday. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Gary Spaulding, Senior Gleaner Writer
    Some suspected confederates of fugitive Christopher Coke are finding hideaways hard to come by after falling into a police dragnet in the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]business[/color][/color] district of Half-Way Tree, St Andrew, yesterday.

More than 20 stylish motorcycles were piled on to wreckers and towed away on the first day of what promises to be an ongoing operation being undertaken by the recently established Street Crimes Unit.

The operation was led by Superintendent Derrick
    'Cowboy' Knight, who leads the St Andrew Central Police Division.

He told The Gleaner that the group was formed just over a month ago.
    "The Street Crimes Unit which was established by the commissioner of police is focused on the acquisition of illegal goods from robberies, cash-for-gold, extortion and other offences which are committed on the streets," Knight told The Gleaner.

"We have seized over 20 bikes that have not met the requirements of the Road Traffic Act," he added.

Ten of the motorcycles were being loaded on to a wrecker late yesterday afternoon when a Gleaner news team visited the area.

A captivated crowd watched the drama unfold from the sidewalk adjacent to the Half-Way Tree Transport Centre as traffic crawled.

Running uptown

Knight told The Gleaner that the men were venturing uptown on motorcycles. "Tivoli (Gardens) is empty," he said.

"What we have picked up is that a number of the men downtown, having been released from custody, do not return there," he said.

"They find themselves in the Half-Way Tree Square, the transport centre and the Mandela Park area because of the increased security presence in western Kingston."

Knight told The Gleaner that some of the suspects were beginning to commit crimes such as larceny.

"They are grabbing persons' money while they leave the bank," Knight said.
    "As a result, we have started an initiative where we focus on persons travelling on bikes."

Knight disclosed that one man was held yesterday with an unusually large quantity of money and jewels for which he was unable to account satisfactorily.

"He has been charged with breaches of the Second-hand Jewellery Act," Knight said.

The senior cop disclosed that the suspect was in possession of more than $100,000.

"We understand that he is out of the Clansman area in Spanish Town," Knight said, referring to one of the notorious gangs operating in the Old Capital.

"So he will be facing the court for unlawful possession of the money and the jewellery we found on him."

Knight revealed that the exercise would continue throughout the state of emergency and, possibly, beyond.

"These men must leave Half-Way Tree and find themselves somewhere else ... . I won't tolerate them here," he declared.

gary.spaulding@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; June 10, 2010, 11:35 AM.

some of those bikes should br banned...straight! too much crime associated with them.

"These men must leave Half-Way Tree and find themselves somewhere else ... . I won't tolerate them here," he declared.
    so where do you suggest they go, Sup. Knight? to St. Bess?! they should be arrested, convicted and locked away!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So bikes are the problem now, not the criminals who ride dem? Jamaica needs to build more prisons to accommodate our criminal minded society in the interim, while we try to steer the yutes away from thuggery. Jamaica must have the highest number of criminals per capita in the western hemisphere.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Put them out in the boiling sun hot to do farming and road work. Damn they can't be in jail getting 3 meals a day on the backs of taxpayers.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

In my opinion, bikes are too often used in carrying out serious crimes in the country. I would like them to be banned! And yes, we should also ban white Toyota Corollas!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Slippery slope dat. I assume you are not serious though.

If what you say is correct then the bikes probably are a good tipoff to the police that something going on, so why not let that continue.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              In my opinion, bikes are too often used in carrying out serious crimes in the country. I would like them to be banned! And yes, we should also ban white Toyota Corollas!
              Suh what about a law abiding citizen that just loves to ride his bike?
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

there is no such animal, yuh deaf?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Joking about the Corollas but serious about the bikes. Some of those bikes cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars yet the poorest of the poor have them. A host of them were down at Tivoli at any given moment. Guess who bought them?

I say we don't need them right now. Messengers do not have any use for those bikes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Too bad. Wi fighting a war here. When tings sekkle down dem can gwaan wid dem tings again.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

is this like the guns dont kill people people do.. bikes dont rob nobody people do.. but i think there is limit on the cc of bikes.

Comment

however, the bikes is a preferred aid in the execution of crime because it makes for an easy getaway through narrow streets and alleys...

not advocating the banning of bikes but because of the unique situation in jamaica, the gov't may need to consider significantly reducing the cc of these motorcycles and limit or restict the modification of them... then rigorously enforce the law pertaining registration, insurance & safety standards... they could do this all in the name of safety...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Bwoy Jamaica need a Total Makeover! Where and how do we start Jeezas, every korner yuh turn, there is some illegal activity.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                            Find somewhere else to rob?
                            Last edited by Bricktop; June 10, 2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

We need to go back to the days of Honda 50 and Z90, with some scooters.

We nuh need them big Bike deh.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X