Did anyone watch this documentary on ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone watch this documentary on ESPN

last night called "The Two Escobars"? It was about Columbia in the time of Pablo Escobar and his role in he rise of Columbian football during the early 90s, resulting in that outstanding team with Asprilla, Ricon, Valderama ,etc that underperformed at the 1994 World Cup and eventually the killing of Andres Escobar who scored the own goal against the USA.

Very interesting story and a lot of lessons for Jamaica in terms of what can happen when drug kingpins are ignored and tolerated for so long that they become powerful enough to challenge the state, and I mean REALLY challenge the state as Escobar was able to do.

On the football side although I remember the incident with the own goal and the murder, I didn't know that the Columbian team were getting death threats even before they took the field for that game. The coach was even getting "orders" from the cartels on who should and should not play. Most of them were playing for cartel-backed teams at the time.

Anyway, if they repeat it and you have not seen it, its worth a watch. Lots of interviews with the players at the time, the coach, highlights from thier games including the famous 5-0 whipping of Argentina etc.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100623/...ilm_escobars_1
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

I will take a look. I saw it been advertised.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Remember the long hair goalie who did call himself a "goalkeeper-sweeper" cause him would come out of the box and a play defense? All him inna it too, him was Pablo big bredren.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Watched all of it. I saw some similarities with football teams back home that are controlled by drug dealers.

Yes, the death threats prior to playing the USA was something new to me. As a matter of fact I didn't realize they didn't qualify for the WC since the drug money in football decreased.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Thats the thing that was scary to me. You see the obvious parallels with the things that we have tolerated in JA with drug dons. You see how the poor people that the country did nothing for did love Escobar? Same damn ting.

At the end it was good to hear the player who said that although thier football has suffered, the country is a much better place since the influence of the drug money is no longer what it was. That is what we may have to face, maybe our music industry or whatever may take a blow, but thats the price. You can't allow these guys to buy out the country.

Comment

yeah the music industry more than all have to seperate themselves. Drug money is partially the cause of so many low quality songs produced and artist charging producers and promoters huge sum to perform. Now some have to come back to earth with the industry the way it is and less and less drug money.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

FYI, for anyone interested, here is the preview :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WgklaS8B_M

Comment

Watched it today. Was very good. The 30 on 30 documentaries have been really good. I think that one and the Ricky Williams one were the best I have seen so far.

Comment

And you know that is the first one that I watched. I will have to start recording them.

Comment

Yes indeed it is worth watching and I concur with your statements.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                    X