RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruce, Vaz and Babsy can't find her a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce, Vaz and Babsy can't find her a job?

JLP in Power and there is a young lady with 9 subject and speaking a foreign language and the JLP big wigs cannot find he a job?

Unemployment woes stifle Tivoli

Published: Tuesday | June 29, 2010 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Tiiffany Biggs, 20, says her CXC grades have failed to land her a job - partly because of a tough economy and, in her opinion, negative stereotyping of her community, Tivoli Gardens. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Robert Lalah, Assistant Editor - Features Amid shattered panes of glass, bullet-riddled walls and broken-down doors that typify sections of Tivoli Gardens, west Kingston, these days, there she sat, quiet and withdrawn, her eyes showing signs of sleepiness. She seemed like the average young woman in a [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]community[/COLOR][/COLOR] slowly recovering from a major battle between gunmen and the security forces.
    But to her friends and neighbours, 20-year-old Tiffany Biggs is anything but average. Tiffany is, for the people Tivoli Gardens, an example of the good the community can produce.
    Tiffany is a second-year student at the University of the West Indies, Mona, where she's studying languages and linguistics. She's a former head girl at Camperdown [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]High [COLOR=orange !important]School[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] where she graduated with nine Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate passes, including three with distinction, and four passes at the Caribbean Advance Proficiency Education level.
    She speaks Spanish fluently and has dreams of someday becoming a [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]translator[/COLOR][/COLOR], working with the United Nations.
    "That's my ultimate dream. To tell you the truth, though, sometimes I wonder if it will ever happen," she said, standing outside her Tivoli home yesterday.
    Uphill task
    Tiffany, like many other high-[COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]school[/COLOR][/COLOR] alumni who are now turning their focus to the working world, considers job hunting in Jamaica a Sisyphean task. She wanted to work for a year after graduating high school, hoping to save enough money to pay her way through [COLOR=orange !important][COLOR=orange !important]university[/COLOR][/COLOR]. But, she has had no luck getting a job.
    "It's because of my address. People see Tivoli on our résumés and immediately disregard us, even when we are more qualified than other applicants," she said.
    Tiffany may have reason to be cynical, having sent out more than 30 applications since last year without receiving a single reply.
    "I'm so depressed by the whole thing. It really makes me feel very sad. It hurts a lot," she said.
    Some of Tiffany's friends who have managed to secure jobs had changed their addresses on their application forms. Tiffany, though, refuses to go that route.
    "I'm not doing that. I am from Tivoli Gardens and I am qualified. Yes, the two do go together. Other people hide where they are from, but I refuse to do that. It's my qualifications that should count, not where I live," she said.
    Proud of mom, hometown
    Even though Tiffany has been unable to get a job since graduating high school, she managed to afford her first year at university, thanks to her mother who sells snacks and juices outside a school in the community. To make extra money, her mom also doubles as a school janitor.
    "When I see my mom doing all of this for me and we are both from Tivoli, how can I now turn around and hide where I come from? I'm not going to do that," she said.
    There were years that went by that saw Tiffany ashamed of her mother, sometimes going as far as to hide when her mom would visit her school. But, those days are gone.
    "When I was younger, I used to feel embarrassed when other students' parents would pick them up in fancy cars and everything, but as I got older I realised how much my mom sacrificed for me," she said.
    "I'm not going to hide who I am anymore. I just hope that the country will wake up and realise that there is some bad in every community, but they should not just paint everyone with the same brush.
    "I just wish people would take the time out to see the good in Tivoli instead of assuming that we are all monsters," she said.
    robert.lalah@gleanerjm.com
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

It shouldnt be up to politicians to find individuals jobs! Come on, Buisness provide jobs and governments create the right environments for buisnesses to thrive.

If she really wants a job, she should do what her friends who have jobs did. Its life.

Comment

The Tivoli address (and other West Kgn addresses) really does cause discrimination though.

I would suggest she use a different address to land her first job.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

She should target Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Is she a 2nd year full time student? If so, what is the job talk about?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          She should target Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Is she a 2nd year full time student? If so, what is the job talk about?
          Part time job to help her through Uni?

Comment

Ministry does not do that.

In any case, I dont think any non-campus job can work for full time students. Jamaica does not have that setup, I dont believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              The Tivoli address (and other West Kgn addresses) really does cause discrimination though.

I would suggest she use a different address to land her first job.
              It worked for her friends. I don't know what planet some Jamaicans are on sometimes. If you really want a job you would try something different, especially if changing address has worked for people you know.

Comment

That should not matter for a Ministry job!

Besides, I dont think Tivoli is taboo anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                  Ministry does not do that.

In any case, I dont think any non-campus job can work for full time students. Jamaica does not have that setup, I dont believe.
                  Really? So how do students in Jamaica support themselves?

Students in England are increasingly driven to part time work to pay day to day expenses, despite the maintenance loans and grants available.

Comment

Chiefly parents stipends and loans, I believe...or they work first and save up.

The logistics of full time study and working is tuff in Jamaica. Even with a car, the traffic is dread. Car takes money.

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
                      It shouldnt be up to politicians to find individuals jobs! Come on, Buisness provide jobs and governments create the right environments for buisnesses to thrive.

If she really wants a job, she should do what her friends who have jobs did. Its life.
                      Her friends probably went to politicians for jobs
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

If the young girl has any real ambition and I don't doubt it it, CXC NOT GOING TO CUT IT! Regardless of how many she has... unless she wants to start her own business; if she wants to get a decent-paying job a first degree is a start.

So is she really talking about a part-time job while at UWI? so wait on tables, do anything (within reason) til the doors start to open. The newspaper article will open a few already... she lucky.
                        Peter R

Comment

The traditional student goes full-time and parents pay plus loans, try to get a job over the summer.

Many go to school part-time, do evening classes. An increasing number do degrees through distance programs (or I suppose its more online programs these days).

In my time it was a lot more difficult. Less options were available and less affordable.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Tru dat...

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                              Her friends probably went to politicians for jobs
                              The article said her friends changed their address, which is what I was reffering to.

Comment

Working...
                              X