• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of human rights groups in Jamaica

'End state of emergency'
    Rights groups say measure not a long-term tool to fight crime
    BY KARYL WALKER Online Editor walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010

HUMAN rights groups, Families Against State Terrorism (FAST) and Jamaicans For Justice (JFJ) yesterday hit out against the extension of the state of emergency, saying it should be used in cases of crisis but not as a tool to fight crime.
    Speaking to reporters and editors at the Observer's weekly Monday Exchange, head of FAST Yvonne McCalla-Sobers said her organisation supported the initial call for the state of emergency by Prime Minister Bruce Golding, after civil unrest erupted in the aftermath of his apology and announcement that a warrant of arrest to proceed with the extradition of former Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke had been issued.

Dr Carolyn Gomes, executive director of Jamaicans For Justice, addresses yesterday’s Observer Monday Exchange at the newspaper’s head office in Kingston. (Photo: Naphtali Junior)

"The state of emergency I think, was needed to rein in a situation that was dangerous and threatening to be anarchic. It is an extreme measure for an extreme situation," McCalla-Sobers said. "It was merited in the first place but in the second place it seems to be a measure to address crime. A state of emergency cannot address crime."
    Gomes, of the JFJ also voiced her support for the initial imposition of the state of emergency, but was also cautious about the effectiveness of extending it.
    "THE JFJ was in support of it when it was called, but not in support of its extension. The constitution is quite clear and those conditions no longer exist now," she said.
    After a bloody gun battle in West Kingston, which resulted in the loss of 73 civilian lives, the security forces took control of the community and calm returned to sections of the city. However, when the one-month period for which Golding had announced the state of emergency would last had run out, he sought and got approval from Parliament to extend the measure for a further month. Golding also announced that the state of emergency would be extended to the neighbouring parish of St Catherine.
    Some private sector groups had also supported the extension of emergency measures.
    Since the state of emergency, close to 2,000 people have been taken into custody and while some have been processed and released hundreds are still detained indefinitely.
    For McCalla-Sobers, the wholesale arrest of persons who live in depressed communities could have a counter-productive effect.
    "When you go around picking up 500 people you are telling the bad man you don't know who you are looking for. The police need to work with secrecy, speed and accuracy of information," she said.
    Gomes was also highly critical of the conditions that detained persons were being forced to endure in detention centres. She pointed to a detention centre in St Catherine where overcrowding was severe and inhumane.
    "We cannot criminalise communities on the basis of address. Putting 61 people in a room that is six by 20 feet, that is standing room only. And the detainees stood all night. As well as being counter-productive it is also stupid," Gomes said.
    Under the rules of the state of emergency detainees can be held without release until it ends.
    At the same time, McCalla-Sobers said the Jamaica Labour Party administration should be reminded that it was once on the receiving end of a state of emergency imposed by former Prime Minister Michael Manley in the politically turbulent 1970s.
    "We have a government that has been on the wrong side of the state of emergency. Once they were the outsiders being locked up," she said.

Jamaica's crime problem is an extreme situation and needs extreme measures to deal with it. What planet are these people on?

Comment

the same as the purpose of human rights groups anywhere else in the world.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Putting 61 people in a room that is six by 20 feet, that is standing room only. And the detainees stood all night.
        for the innocent, i have a problem with that.

let's employ some intelligent method of looking for the bad guys. rounding up whole communities may not be the way.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by MissLondon View Post
          Jamaica's crime problem is an extreme situation and needs extreme measures to deal with it. What planet are these people on?
          agree ms london .
          Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
          United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
          happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
          Probably forthcoming...

Comment

the crime situation has been an "emergency" over the last 30+ years so i understand why you agree with the continuation of the SoE particularly when we see that the crime figures for June have shown a considerable downturn.

So it is tempting to maintain it (the SoE) but the authorities should seek to lift it as soon as possible... we don't want a set of "ton ton macoutes" running the place; that would be just as bad as the criminals in control, if not worse...

Many things have to be rebuilt including trust between police and communities.... continued high-handedness for too long will defeat that. In the short-term the SoE has been effective. The authorities need to start thinking about mid and long term strategies that are sustainable in order to minimise criminal activity.
            Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
              the crime situation has been an "emergency" over the last 30+ years so i understand why you agree with the continuation of the SoE particularly when we see that the crime figures for June have shown a considerable downturn.

So it is tempting to maintain it (the SoE) but the authorities should seek to lift it as soon as possible... we don't want a set of "ton ton macoutes" running the place; that would be just as bad as the criminals in control, if not worse...

Many things have to be rebuilt including trust between police and communities.... continued high-handedness for too long will defeat that. In the short-term the SoE has been effective. The authorities need to start thinking about mid and long term strategies that are sustainable in order to minimise criminal activity.
              I agree there needs to be other methods to reduce crime in the long term. However, I don't see why a SOE in the areas most affected can't continue for the foreseeable future as part of wider crime fighting measures. Jamaica needs drastic and extreme measures IMO in order to significant reduce crime unfortunatly, the personal freedoms of some may be affected.

Comment

"foreseeable future" ? six months? a year?

Anyway, we have to be careful we don't create a series of "Gaza" strips. Don't you think going forward that police can be effective in those areas without a SoE?
                Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  "foreseeable future" ? six months? a year?

Anyway, we have to be careful we don't create a series of "Gaza" strips. Don't you think going forward that police can be effective in those areas without a SoE?
                  A year if need be.

I don't think the police can cope with the level of crime in Jamaica by themself at the moment. The military has proven to be effective, why not continue to use them? Obviously its not a permanent solution but in my opinion criminals in Jamaica need to be "shocked and awed". Its the only thing they understand.

Comment

ask Janice Allen moddah.... oh wait..

ask di Kentucky Kid baby moddah.. oh oops..

Oh got it.. check Keith Clarke fambly...

Pray yuh won't need them...

Comment

I more concerned about the thousands who have had their lives taken away by gun men and the families who have been left in ruins.

Comment

Not to mention there is a higher possibility of me or my loved ones being killed by gun men than by police so.....

Comment

Someone has to be concerned about the people that most are not..

Do you have an objection with the existence of the NAACP ?

Comment

You would like to base the existence of services on probability ?

I have never needed an ambulance....

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                              Someone has to be concerned about the people that most are not..

Do you have an objection with the existence of the NAACP ?
                              You mean the thousands of victims of murder? No one seems to care about them, not even these human rights organisations.

Comment

Working...
                              X