• Show
Clear All

• Sugar Minott's estate is broke

Struggle Looms For Minott's Family
    Published: Tuesday | July 13, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Sugar Minott - File
    1 2 >
    Howard Campbell, Gleaner Writer

The widow of singer Lincoln 'Sugar' Minott is preparing for the challenging task of getting his business affairs in order. It's a situation not unique to families of reggae artistes.

"He died intestate (left no will) so there is a lot of work to be done to take care of his catalogue and other matters," Maxine Stowe, Minott's wife of 14 years, told The Gleaner from New York, Sunday.

Minott died Saturday evening at the University Hospital of the West Indies at age 54. Stowe did not disclose the cause of death, but said he had undergone a series of tests during the last six months for breathing problems.

"The doctors couldn't tell him what was going on and he was getting weaker," Stowe disclosed.

She said she last spoke to her husband on Friday when his condition deteriorated and he was admitted to hospital. Recently, Minott had cancelled shows in New York, Canada and California due to failing health.

Sugar Minott is the latest reggae star to die without leaving a will. Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Dennis Brown all died with their estates in limbo.

Though he owned a recording studio and controlled most of his vast music catalogue, Stowe said Minott was not doing well financially. Because of that, she plans to establish a fund in Jamaica to help with funeral costs.

Another challenge

Tracking his catalogue is another challenge. Like Brown who died in 1999, Minott recorded prolifically for many companies including VP Records, Heartbeat Records and RAS Records in the United States.

He also did several albums for various European companies. His Black Roots labels produced numerous albums by acts like Tenor Saw, Junior Reid, Barry Brown and Tristan Palmer.

In a 2003 interview, Minott addressed the business side of his career.

"Wi been licensing music over the years an' getting some (financial) advance, but nuthin' big in terms of royalties," he explained. "So wi trying to computerise the catalogue but some a the things, like getting a good lawyer and publisher, really hard fi implement."

Stowe says she first met Minott in 1978 when he was recording the Live Loving album for her uncle, producer Clement 'Coxson' Dodd of the legendary Studio One. Some of the songs Minott did for Dodd, including the dancehall anthems Vanity and Mr DC, helped revive Studio One, which was a major player in the rocksteady era, a decade earlier.

According to Stowe, Minott had two albums scheduled for release: one produced by Dodd and the other by musician Sly Dunbar.

Stowe said Minott is survived by 13 children. A son, Alton, predeceased him.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

This one is surprising. I got the impression that he was more of a businessman than the average Jamaican entertainer.

Very sad. A man who work for so many years really shouldn't have his family begging for money to bury him.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I don't get it, as his wife was also a major music exec for some very big label. Ah bwoy I wish them the best. RIP Lincoln "Bugar" Minnott the man with the granulated sugar vioice.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X