RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the PNP accept some blame for Dudus' powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the PNP accept some blame for Dudus' powers?

LEWIN... could be in breach of the Official Secrets Act

I was reminded by a police officer that in 2002 a gunman from the then mini-state of Tivoli Gardens spent many hours giving the police detailed and damning information on Christopher "Dudus" Coke. "The police have that information... from 2002. About six hours of 'testimony', yet it took the Americans to intervene in 2009."

According to the senior officer, the gunman was operating under the Witness Protection Programme and he has lost track of the whole story. "I know that he had faced the court twice on murder charges: once when an 'unauthorised' man was collecting tax downtown on behalf of Tivoli; the other I don't remember the details. Suffice it to say that no witnesses came forward and in both instances he walked away a free man."

The PNP came to power in 1989 and lasted until its steam ran out in September 2007. Although Tivoli Gardens was seen as a special protectorate of the JLP, and in particular Eddie Seaga, who would be the first to cry foul when the security forces had encounters with gunmen there, we need to be reminded that it was during the governmental administration of the PNP that Dudus rose to power.

Both sides of the political fence are stained by this, and as much as the PNP would have us believe that it was merely an innocent bystander, it cannot escape responsibility in this matter.

Now that a groundswell of public pressure has forced the prime minister to act and the security forces have been slowly getting on top of things, the prime minister and the JLP have decided to claim proactivity in this matter.

We need not rehash the well-worn story that the JLP administration was forced to act. We know that.

Based on the fact that they were forced to act, why do we believe that they will be in the forefront of those disassociating themselves from the criminal dregs of the street?

At times, however, there is a view that we should not question the motivational prods behind positive action if such action benefits the nation. What we do know is that this administration and the one before it will only act if the pressure is sustained. They are there for themselves and it is only 'people pressure' that will steer them in the right direction.
    It has come to my attention that the Attorney General's office has advised that ex-Commissioner of Police Hardley Lewin has committed a breach of the Official Secrets Act and that he can be prosecuted and arrested.

Well, I say let them try. I would advise the present administration to steer clear of any temptation to head in that direction.

As the PNP mounts its political platform to criticise the JLP administration for any role it may have had in making extra payments to Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, I would advise the PNP not to forget that it is under its watch that Mr Christopher 'Dudus' Coke gained power.
    The PNP has some explaining to do.

Newcastle main road in danger of breaking away

Months ago when I went to Peak Bottling to enjoy the scenery, I was amazed that vehicles were still travelling on that narrow strip of road. I have been informed that the situation has got worse. One resident in the area wrote, "There are a number of spots on the Newcastle main road that have broken away, with one spot in particular about to break away completely, cutting off all the communities above it. It is actually not a matter of if, but when. We have been in touch with everybody at the NWA, and while they are aware of the problem and are sympathetic, they are unable to mobilise because of the usual bureaucracy and... lack of funds (surprise!)"

Another person wrote, "As a resident I have a selfish interest in keeping the road open, but I am more concerned about the neighbouring communities being cut off for an extended period and the dangers, including possible loss of life. Keep in mind the bus-loads of day-trippers that go to Hollywell."

If anyone knows where to find Mr Joseph Hibbert, the MP, please inform him of this tragedy waiting to happen.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...powers_7806104
    Last edited by Karl; July 18, 2010, 09:09 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post

LEWIN... could be in breach of the Official Secrets Act

I was reminded by a police officer that in 2002 a gunman from the then mini-state of Tivoli Gardens spent many hours giving the police detailed and damning information on Christopher "Dudus" Coke. "The police have that information... from 2002. About six hours of 'testimony', yet it took the Americans to intervene in 2009."

According to the senior officer, the gunman was operating under the Witness Protection Programme and he has lost track of the whole story. "I know that he had faced the court twice on murder charges: once when an 'unauthorised' man was collecting tax downtown on behalf of Tivoli; the other I don't remember the details. Suffice it to say that no witnesses came forward and in both instances he walked away a free man."

The PNP came to power in 1989 and lasted until its steam ran out in September 2007. Although Tivoli Gardens was seen as a special protectorate of the JLP, and in particular Eddie Seaga, who would be the first to cry foul when the security forces had encounters with gunmen there, we need to be reminded that it was during the governmental administration of the PNP that Dudus rose to power.

Both sides of the political fence are stained by this, and as much as the PNP would have us believe that it was merely an innocent bystander, it cannot escape responsibility in this matter.

Now that a groundswell of public pressure has forced the prime minister to act and the security forces have been slowly getting on top of things, the prime minister and the JLP have decided to claim proactivity in this matter.

We need not rehash the well-worn story that the JLP administration was forced to act. We know that.

Based on the fact that they were forced to act, why do we believe that they will be in the forefront of those disassociating themselves from the criminal dregs of the street?

At times, however, there is a view that we should not question the motivational prods behind positive action if such action benefits the nation. What we do know is that this administration and the one before it will only act if the pressure is sustained. They are there for themselves and it is only 'people pressure' that will steer them in the right direction.
    It has come to my attention that the Attorney General's office has advised that ex-Commissioner of Police Hardley Lewin has committed a breach of the Official Secrets Act and that he can be prosecuted and arrested.

Well, I say let them try. I would advise the present administration to steer clear of any temptation to head in that direction.

As the PNP mounts its political platform to criticise the JLP administration for any role it may have had in making extra payments to Manatt, Phelps and Phillips, I would advise the PNP not to forget that it is under its watch that Mr Christopher 'Dudus' Coke gained power.
    The PNP has some explaining to do.

Newcastle main road in danger of breaking away

Months ago when I went to Peak Bottling to enjoy the scenery, I was amazed that vehicles were still travelling on that narrow strip of road. I have been informed that the situation has got worse. One resident in the area wrote, "There are a number of spots on the Newcastle main road that have broken away, with one spot in particular about to break away completely, cutting off all the communities above it. It is actually not a matter of if, but when. We have been in touch with everybody at the NWA, and while they are aware of the problem and are sympathetic, they are unable to mobilise because of the usual bureaucracy and... lack of funds (surprise!)"

Another person wrote, "As a resident I have a selfish interest in keeping the road open, but I am more concerned about the neighbouring communities being cut off for an extended period and the dangers, including possible loss of life. Keep in mind the bus-loads of day-trippers that go to Hollywell."

If anyone knows where to find Mr Joseph Hibbert, the MP, please inform him of this tragedy waiting to happen.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...powers_7806104
    Yup and Admiral Lewin has been muzzled! Don't expect to hear from him anytime soon.
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

If he has conviction he must be willing to risk serving time... Al Miller did it..

Talk Lewin !

Comment

Yes Mark it's the PNP's fault.The JLP was just a victim of circumstances; that the PNP created. Matter of fact they hatched this plan as abackup just in case they were removed from power (in order to embarass JLP).

Mark you are a genius. I think the PNP secretly built Tivoli from Joshua's time (part of their world domination plan).
        Last edited by Jawge; July 18, 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Read whey di man seh again!

Comment

Well considering he gained his power and fortune during their governance, then yes they must accept part of the blame (Power=responsibilty). However, both parties need to take responsibilty for the level of crime and violence in the country in general.

Comment

Huh ?

Murder Rate in 1989 was 400.

What di JLP haffi duh wid that been quadrupled over 4 terms ?

Di PNP can stop the current war on crime ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                Huh ?

Both JLP and PNP are responsible for creating the garrison monster, which is essential where Jamaica's crime problem originates. The PNP failed miserably with controlling and reducing the murder rate, but they didn't create the problem alone. Both sides are responsible for planting the seed.

Comment

Garrison monster ?

How many Garrison create since 1989 ?

How many of dem PNP ?

How did the crime rate change since the same period ?

If di economy continued to grow at the rate the JLP brought it to in 1990.. yuh tink today wi would be talking about murder rate ?

Check on the global growth rate in the 90's... compare it to Jamaica.

Instead of growing Garrisons di PNP should have been focused on growing the Economy.. like the rest of the World.

Nuh bring di JLP innah dat.

Comment

Garrison monster ?

How many Garrison create since 1989 ?

How many of dem PNP ?

How did the crime rate change since the same period ?

If di economy continued to grow at the rate the JLP brought it to in 1990.. yuh tink today wi would be talking about murder rate ?

Check on the global growth rate in the 90's... compare it to Jamaica.

Instead of growing Garrisons di PNP should have been focused on growing the Economy.. like the rest of the World.

Nuh bring di JLP innah dat.
                    You're not stating anything new to me. The PNP governement were a failure on almost every level. However Maudib, a murder rate of 400 is still high for a small island like Jamaica. The problem has gotten much worse since then, but it was a problem before 1989. Its impossible to say what would have happened if the JLP were in power for those 18 years. They have their chance now and this is what they must be judged on.

Comment

Might be impossible for you.. not me.

What would have happened is a continuation of policies that encourage growth.. building on the platform of recovery from the 70's

Duhr...

Comment

heh heh! i guess the honeymoon is over between di two a unnu!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

nah sah.. after shi ah nuh comrade... tings can gwaan..

Comment

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Huh ?

400 is not a rate

why people propagate such nonsense is a mystery
                              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X