RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shut up Hylton! Yuh nuh hear bout JDX!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shut up Hylton! Yuh nuh hear bout JDX!?!?

Declining Productivity Hurting Jamaica - Hylton
    Published: Wednesday | July 21, 20100 Comments and 0 Reactions

Patrick Hylton, group managing director of NCB. - File
    Philip Hamilton, Gleaner Writer

National Commercial Bank (NCB) Group Managing Director Patrick Hylton says Jamaica needs to urgently plan and implement compulsory strategies if it is serious about arresting declining productivity levels.

Hylton, who was guest speaker at a Manchester Chamber of Commerce function at Golf View hotel recently, said a 2009 study conducted by the Jamaica Productivity Council (JPC) revealed the country was lagging behind its Central American neighbours.

According to Hylton, the report, which covered the period 1972-2007, showed that the average Jamaican worker had been producing less each year, amounting to a 1.3 per cent decline in output per annum.

"While labour productivity in Jamaica has been on the decline over the last three decades, many of our Latin American and Caribbean neighbours have experienced labour-productivity growth averaging more than 1.5 per cent per annum over the same period," said Hylton.

The group managing director said a recent study by the Inter-American Development Bank indicated that while Latin America and the Caribbean lagged significantly behind the rest of the world on the growth index, Jamaica's performance put it at the back of the pack.

"In fact, some countries in the Caribbean such as St Lucia, that were behind Jamaica in labour productivity as late as 2002, are now ahead, and moving even further ahead," Hylton said.

The banker said three of the sectors reviewed in the JPC's productivity summary report - agriculture, forestry and fishing; wholesale and retail, hotels and restaurant services; and construction and installation had recorded the lowest productivity levels despite accounting for 72 per cent of total employment.

Formula change

Hylton proposed that greater attention be paid to training a highly skilled Jamaican workforce capable of attracting higher-level investments and moving the country away from the low-skills/low-pay formula, which he insisted does not contribute optimally toward national development.

He encouraged the Manchester business community to make managed productivity the primary focus of its organisa-tions, by encouraging highly knowledgeable workers to suggest ways in which processes could be completed more efficiently on the line, without compromising quality.

Hylton also noted that for too long, many Jamaican businesses accepted poor performance as the norm, simply because persons had become accustomed to receiving only substandard performance.

He said a great disservice to the Jamaica workers was done when persons glorified average output, noting the same workers who migrated to the United States usually achieved higher productivity levels.

"I certainly believe it is time for us to raise our expectations. We must find ways to tap into the latent productivity talent of Jamaicans, and use these as the springboard for phenomenal growth and development at all levels of the society," said Hylton.

philip.hamilton@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Good talk.

Him need to tell dis to Omar!

Comment

again, who is Omar?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

so wait.. him nuh leave nuh imprint pon di country situation today ?

lol !

Suppose him get back in 2 years time ???!

Yuh gwaan. Carolyn Gomes did demand Omar resign... yuh were probably away at the time.

LOL !!

Comment

i demanded it too, but you would not recall.

but just a tiny bit of advice - Omar nuh run tings nuh more!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you demanded Omar resignation ?

hmm.. how could I have missed months and months of demands..

Any moderator can help dig up those archives.. ?

I suspect not..

Comment

When did you?

You nuh hear him say "him nah help Audley Shaw no more?"
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass.. mi memory nuh suh good.. help me out..

Yuh memba Mosiah bawling fi Omar resignation ?

Comment

mi still a wait pon him fi tell me one thing Omar did wrong.

how many times him call fi 1/3 head already?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did anybody get that in writing from Omar?

LOL! Dem man arrogance knows no limits.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The one chomping at the bit to get back in. If I am not mistaken, you claim seh his party more popular now and you would not mind the change...

Comment

they were not as sustained as the ones for Gelding, of course. his transgressions pale in comparison di Liad One!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                          The one chomping at the bit to get back in. If I am not mistaken, you claim seh his party more popular now and you would not mind the change...
                          never said that. but at least you said, "if i am not mistaken..." others would have just lied!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ouch, Sorry fi mash yuh corn!

Yuh know seh yuh word is bond, so must be my mistake!

Comment

What???

Destruction of the economy is far worse. When your financial freedom is gone, everything else goes!

Man tell lie in Parliament, yuh still free to shout him out or vote him out. Get real Mo.

Comment

Working...
                              X