X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Order??

Tax court orders Jamaican MP to pay

2010-07-22 09:21:01 | (0 Comments)

Member of Parliament (MP) for north Trelawny in Jamaica, Dr Patrick Harris, has been ordered by the Tax Court to immediately pay $1.6 million, or be sent to prison for 30 days.

The order was made by Resident Magistrate Sheron Barnes in the Tax Court at Falmouth in Trelawny yesterday.

Dr Harris was served to appear in the Tax Court, but he did not appear and had no legal representation.

Tax collector, Janet Scotland, told RM Barnes that the MP had sufficient time to make arrangements to pay the outstanding sum, but failed to do so.

RM Barnes then made the order based on the disclosures made by Scotland.

The tax department has launched a massive drive to collect outstanding revenue from delinquent taxpayers.

Earlier this year, the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]finance[/COLOR][/COLOR] minister, Audley Shaw, announced in Parliament that the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]government[/COLOR][/COLOR] would not be relenting in its effort to collect taxes.

A senior lawyer explained that a parliamentarian cannot be barred from sitting in parliament, because he owes taxes, as it’s not considered a criminal offence.

However, he said there could be serious implications if a parliamentarian is unable to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]pay [COLOR=blue! important]taxes[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

The lawyer further explained that an MP can be declared bankrupt if he owes taxes and under the law could be barred from serving as a Member of Parliament.

Source: Gleaner/Power 106 News
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Look like Audley serious wid him tax collection business.
    From the Sportmen, The DJs and now Politician.

Lawd 1/3 you fi tek it easy.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Look like is a good ting him is only 1/3!

Imagine if him was 1/2? LOL!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

New Order? Some would cry political vicimization.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          New Order? Some would cry political vicimization.
          Lazie as a long standing comrade I have to say that your Prime Minister has turned a really bad situation good, what are the polls saying about his chances to be elected again?

Hail up the family, u going to watch Henry against the red bulls later ?

Comment

Oh yeah? Watch di ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaly Spurs View Post
              Lazie as a long standing comrade I have to say that your Prime Minister has turned a really bad situation good, what are the polls saying about his chances to be elected again?

Hail up the family, u going to watch Henry against the red bulls later ?
              mi deh a Florida right now, but I plan to go watch a game yes. Welcome back bredren.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                Tax court orders Jamaican MP to pay

2010-07-22 09:21:01 | (0 Comments)

Member of Parliament (MP) for north Trelawny in Jamaica, Dr Patrick Harris, has been ordered by the Tax Court to immediately pay $1.6 million, or be sent to prison for 30 days.

The order was made by Resident Magistrate Sheron Barnes in the Tax Court at Falmouth in Trelawny yesterday.

Dr Harris was served to appear in the Tax Court, but he did not appear and had no legal representation.

Tax collector, Janet Scotland, told RM Barnes that the MP had sufficient time to make arrangements to pay the outstanding sum, but failed to do so.

RM Barnes then made the order based on the disclosures made by Scotland.

The tax department has launched a massive drive to collect outstanding revenue from delinquent taxpayers.

Earlier this year, the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]finance[/color][/color] minister, Audley Shaw, announced in Parliament that the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]government[/color][/color] would not be relenting in its effort to collect taxes.

A senior lawyer explained that a parliamentarian cannot be barred from sitting in parliament, because he owes taxes, as it’s not considered a criminal offence.

However, he said there could be serious implications if a parliamentarian is unable to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]pay [COLOR=blue! important]taxes[/color][/color][/color].

The lawyer further explained that an MP can be declared bankrupt if he owes taxes and under the law could be barred from serving as a Member of Parliament.

Source: Gleaner/Power 106 News
                Big up Sass, how life down south?

Comment

sir scales....greetings, salutaciones and felictaciones how di fambily?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    sir scales....greetings, salutaciones and felictaciones how di fambily?

The family is great, I now have a son and between his mother being a great tennis player and my so so soccer skills he better not turn out to be a musician.

Comment

tennis it is then!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                      X