the pnp leadership is a joke... the pnp was wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the pnp leadership is a joke... the pnp was wrong

to not support the soe extension... with the jlp missing 6 mps for the vote, the pnp should have stepped forward and given the jlp the 6 votes, with the remaining voting against it allowing for the extension for another 30 days...

the soe, while not a long term fix was very effective in the short term... the majority of jamaicans were in support of it and the pnp should have been on the side of the people... by not supporting the soe, the pnp appears to be half stepping in the fight against crime (even if that is not the case)...

no doubt that a strategic crime plan is needed but the cries for a crime plan from the govt & security forces at this juncture of the fight against crime appears hollow...

who advises the pnp leadership... the pnp would have more of an argument that they are tough on crime when election rolls around because they were responsible in ensuring the govt had a tool to help with fight... at a time when the crime stats were trending down the jlp mps conveniently were absent when the motion came up for a vote...

i'm astonished at the pnp strategy...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Ah tink Mosiah is the current Advisor for the PNP.

Comment

suh a 30 day extension is now seen as a long term solution?!! mi confuse suh mi asking politely.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
        to not support the soe extension... with the jlp missing 6 mps for the vote, the pnp should have stepped forward and given the jlp the 6 votes, with the remaining voting against it allowing for the extension for another 30 days...

the soe, while not a long term fix was very effective in the short term... the majority of jamaicans were in support of it and the pnp should have been on the side of the people... by not supporting the soe, the pnp appears to be half stepping in the fight against crime (even if that is not the case)...

no doubt that a strategic crime plan is needed but the cries for a crime plan from the govt & security forces at this juncture of the fight against crime appears hollow...

who advises the pnp leadership... the pnp would have more of an argument that they are tough on crime when election rolls around because they were responsible in ensuring the govt had a tool to help with fight... at a time when the crime stats were trending down the jlp mps conveniently were absent when the motion came up for a vote...

i'm astonished at the pnp strategy...

Nah...Bruce outsmart Portia big time...there were people in the JLP would wanted the SOE ended so they tricked the PNP into killing it and taking the blame for ending it. If the JLP really want the SOE they can declare a new SOE today.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

i wonder why peter phillips gone silent? was he one of the abstentions? i'm curious. i think he would have been inclined to extend it..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

how yuh miss dat king son... i said the soe while NOT a long term solution... certainly 30 days isn't long term but why give the appearance that the party isn't fully supporting the fight against crime...

Comment

i know...didn't miss it...i meant that based on THAT fact (i.e. it is not long term solution) why did they have a problem with 30 days?

i can understand it if it was like the 10th extension or so....

Comment

Let me lump this Observer EDITORIAL with Baddaz comments

above -

1,600 voices speaking from the grave
                Friday, July 23, 2010

This is a compelling question for the Opposition People's National Party (PNP) and its unconscionable parliamentarians, who have chosen to ignore the fear and tension wrought by criminals in this country: If the 1,600 Jamaicans who were murdered last year could speak from the grave, what would they say of the PNP's decision to kill off the State of Emergency?
                Moreover, what would the legions of fatherless children, the mothers who have lost innocent offspring, the wives who have lost husbands and breadwinners and the many others who have lost loved ones -- including police officers whose lives are on the line everyday -- to those heinous criminals. What would they say of your party's action?

We don't believe it's too difficult to imagine what they would say. If they could speak, they would condemn in one strong and unequivocal chorus the betrayal of our country by a party that has lost its way.

The PNP supported the calling and subsequent extension of the State of Emergency. One of its members, the usually honest Mrs Sharon Hay-Webster, even called for its extension to St Catherine, where she is under the gun.

Suddenly, the party figures that crime as a social issue is so important that were the Government to bring it to within tolerable levels, it might just win the next election, a view which, by the way, we think is rather silly.

The political parties have never really trusted the Jamaican electorate. The PNP is not now about to believe that when it comes to an election, the voters will weigh Prime Minister Bruce Golding's action, which led us to this sorry path, against the opportunity presented to deal crime a blow and make a wise decision.

Rather than trust the people, the PNP chose to put party before country. It doesn't matter that the country and our economy had been held back in its development as the murder rate climbed wantonly to record levels every year. It doesn't matter that since the State of Emergency our people had begun to feel safer and more secure in ways they had not since the late 1960s.

We pressure and pillory the security forces for not doing their job, but choose to ignore them when they tell us what they need to do that job.
                Those who met their untimely death at the hands of gunmen would say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this is indeed a sad day.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...-grave_7821428
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

...both misguided!

The government of the day. just as the last PNP government, has the necessary tools to bring gun crimes under control with the declaration of a State of Emergency.

The actions being taken, minus the conditions of say detention for 60 days without charges, etc., could all be implemented without there being a State of Emergency. It is as we have been saying on this forum for many, many years all that is needed is the will of government to direct the police force to perform with out fear or favour. - no sacred cows!

The attack on the state as barricading of Tivoli and the attacks on police stations symbolized are long past.

Gunmen are still roaming the country and exacting their mayhem. Corruption still abounds! The security forces need to be freed to deal with these and other threats without fear or favour - FULL STOP!

...as for me?
                  Ban the guns! ...step up random searches!
                  Give the police the necessary support in training, technology and other resources.
                  BUD time now and forever for those with firearms, save and except the security forces going about their legal and mandated business!

This is a...it should be the aim...civil society, a society of laws!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                    there were people in the JLP would wanted the SOE ended so they tricked the PNP into killing it and taking the blame for ending it. If the JLP really want the SOE they can declare a new SOE today.
                    agree... this statement speaks to that...
                    the pnp leadership is not acting smart...

Comment

got yuh... i just dont understand the pnp... if they were smart they should have ensured the extension and put pressure on the govt & security forces to present a crime strategy before any further extension...

with the crimality and disorder in jamaica society, to remove any tools that aids in the fight against crime is unconscionable and irresponsible...

they could use that against the govt mps who were absent for the vote on the most critical issue affecting jamaica...

Comment

i agree with the writer EXCEPT its not ONLY the pnp that is unconscionable... both parties are to be blamed... for such a critical issue, if the jlp had any conviction they would have made certain that all were present to vote on the soe extension...

the jlp is EQUALLY unscrupulous on this matter...

the pnp leadership was deluded in thinking that they would not be perceived negatively for not supporting the extension...

Comment

This sounds a lot like the theory that AJ Nicholson set up the Dudus thing from 2007 when there was a good chance that the PNP would lose the general election! Afterall, the PNP did set up the dual citizenship play. That is why they tried to have all their candidates cleaned up in time, though it didnt work for 2 of them.

The point is, why accept some conspiracies and not others?

Comment

Willi stop please. I thought it was the oil/Hile that the US wanted.
                            Now it's AJ? What AJ wants all the oil for himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                              i agree with the writer EXCEPT its not ONLY the pnp that is unconscionable... both parties are to be blamed... for such a critical issue, if the jlp had any conviction they would have made certain that all were present to vote on the soe extension...

the jlp is EQUALLY unscrupulous on this matter...

the pnp leadership was deluded in thinking that they would not be perceived negatively for not supporting the extension...
                              I can live with this!

...and look at the folowing:

Police head to court to keep crooks in jail

Published: Friday | July 23, 2010

Police chief Owen Ellington (right) and Major General Stewart Saunders exchange a firm handshake at the top cop's headquarters yesterday. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

CRIMINAL SUSPECTS have been warned not to view the cessation of a state of emergency as temptation to reimpose mayhem in communities.

"I want to warn them that if they return to the street and start back their criminal activities, generating violence and profiting off violence, they will feel the full weight of law enforcement," Police Commissioner Owen Ellington said yesterday.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ead/lead1.html

Ellington was speaking at a press conference at his Old Hope Road, St Andrew, headquarters.

He told journalists that the police were seeking to keep some persons in detention who had been held during the state of emergency which ended at midnight.

Comment

Working...
                              X