• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandals strikes rum deal with Demerara Distillers

Sandals strikes rum deal with Demerara Distillers
    BY AL EDWARDS
    Friday, July 23, 2010

SANDALS Resorts International, operators of the largest chain of luxury all-inclusive hotels in the Caribbean, has signed a deal with Demerara Distillers Limited to supply El Dorado aged rums to all its hotels across the region.

This new agreement signals the end of an over twenty year supply agreement with J.Wray & Nephew, the producers of the world renown Appleton Rum.

DONE DEAL. Vice-president International Marketing of Demerara Distillers, Komal Samaroo presents documents for CEO Sandals Resort International, Adam Stewart (centre) to sign at Sandals’ head office in Kingston on Tuesday. Making sure all goes well is Sandals Group Director, Corporate Communications, Rachel Mclarty.

DONE DEAL. Vice-president International Marketing of Demerara Distillers, Komal Samaroo presents documents for CEO Sandals Resort International, Adam Stewart (centre) to sign at Sandals’ head office in Kingston on Tuesday. Making sure all goes well is Sandals Group Director, Corporate Communications, Rachel Mclarty.

1/1

Speaking to Caribbean Business Report from Kingston yesterday, the Chairman of Sandals Resorts International Gordon 'Butch'Stewart said: "We have had a phenomenal relationship with J. Wray & Nephew for over twenty years, and over that period we have seen both our brands grow and prosper. Anybody anywhere in the world can tell you that Appleton is one of the finest rums in the world and a credit to Jamaica. It is one of our finest exports, and over the years many companies have coveted it. It will continue to prosper and go on to greater things."

Demerara Distillers is one of the oldest rum producers in the world and has been in existence for over 300 years. Hailing from Guyana it has an extensive range of aged rums to fit all categories. The El Dorado brand with its flagship 15 year-old rum was launched in 1992. The El Dorado brand continues to win acclaim and is heralded as one of the finest rums in the world. All its rums are made at the Diamond Distillery using Guyana's famous Demerara sugar.

Demerara Distillers Vice-President for International Marketing, Komal Samaroo said: "Demerara Distillers Limited, takes special pleasure in this new relationship with Sandals. Our El Dorado range of aged Demerara rums has a history of delivering excellence and quality to the world for over three centuries. In more recent times, Sandals has similarly packaged the Caribbean experience and delivered it to a global market with equal excellence and quality. So here are two Caribbean companies geographically at the two ends of the region but sharing the same passion for delivering the best of the Caribbean to the world."

CEO of Sandals Resorts International, Adam Stewart, said that with over 900,000 visitors a year, Sandals will be able to expose El Dorado Rums to a wide international market, giving them a taste of the Caribbean. He went on to say that it was the coming together of two great Caribbean companies and that Sandals has always sought to extend a welcoming hand to other Caribbean businesses in the true spirit of CARICOM.

Speaking from the Jamaica Observer's Food Awards held at Devon House last night, Adam Stewart said: "This partnership with Sandals Resorts International and Demerara Distillers Limited is both timely and symbolic of the members of the Caribbean Community shaking hands as neighbours and pulling the region closer together. I am thrilled about the prospects for growing our brands and building on our own track records of taking quality Caribbean products to the world."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...illers_7821730
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

yeah man that is good for tourism, more imports.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Great, great, great news. El Dorado is probably the finest rum in the world. The 15 year is simply great, the 21, and 25 year($90.00 and 300.00 US respectively) are pleasures every adult should get a chance to savour in their lifetime. The 15 year is relabeled at an establisment in Atlantic City and sold as Cuba Libra at the Tropicana. Bought 2 rum and cokes there while visiting the states. The bill for the 2 drinks was 56.00. Hope they could get El Dorado more widely distributed throughout Jamaica so that everyone can get a chance to taste it. Truely a wonderful brand.

Comment

you insult de el dorado wid coke?? LOL

the article didn't say what happened to the relationship with J Wray & Nephew...
        Peter R

Comment

You are absolutely correct Peter. I now drink it straight. No ice, no chaser. From a cognac glass, and it is excellent. Also can be chilled in the freezer(wont freeze) and drink it straight. Also you should try Zoya. It is a Nicaraguan rum which is distilled in Trinidad. They moved there after the upheavals in Central America several years ago. Also Rhun Zacapa, I think it is from Gatautemala or El Salvador may be wrong, but I know it is from Central America. This has several vintages. All the rums named are excellent althoughj expensive. Better than most cognacs.

Comment

Good to learn about these vintages.

You made me cringe when you added the coke to these top shelp 'sips'.

There is no harm in adding a few drips of water or ice to these top class rums. It releases the flavor.................

Will keep an eye out for the vintages you listed.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

and unnu call me rumhead!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know quite a few vintages myself.

2010 appleton withwater and ice, 2009 appleton with ting, 2008 appleton with orange juice, the list goes on and on!
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I had Zoya this weekend (in Florida) for the first time coincidentallly ... very good stuff. The El Dorado I find a little better but still...great stuff. And I didn't know Zoya was distilled in Trinidad, I don't remember seeing it on the shelves there.
                  Peter R

Comment

well they were not using ja sugar so why ja rum.. Why cant they use both rums.. is not like they only have one type of brandy..

Comment

das what i am wondering?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think most ja hotels are cheap... In st. Maarten in a modest hotel you can get any beer.. in Ja sandals all you get is red stripe draft and maybe out of room.

Comment

we are boring when it comes to beer, that's for sure. don't need to see most American brands, but there are so many fine beers from around the world I'm missing out on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...there is a locally made draft beer (not Red Stripe) that is served in hotels.

It is grog if you ask me.

Fully agree, hotels there can do better in serving beers.
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I luv Red stripe light; can't wait for it to be exported.

Comment

Working...
                              X