From Wappy kill Phillop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Wappy kill Phillop

Its very funny how much we go through our days using sayings and slang that seem so commonplace but in fact are so far from it. Recently I had the pleasure of traveling with a group of classy ladies who were not only fun but also a wealth of knowledge regarding Caribbean culture. On our journey to the thanksgiving of the life of a hero who was also a great person I learnt two things about our very common sayings I now wish to share

Every day you hear it “Him a build him house from Wappy kill Fillop!”
    “a whe she a go inna dat, de frock ol she mussi have it from Wappy kill Fillop.”

So who are this Wappy and Fillop?
    Well apparently they were real people.
    Wappy was the first gunman ever in Jamaica.
    Wappy predates Natty Morgan, Jim Brown and every bad man in Jamaica. He was the original shotta. Now apparently Wappy and Philip lived in Kingston because that’s where all the real gun-hawks live. Why did Wappy kill Philip I didn’t hear but he did kill him, and he killed Philip in a time where the only time people know death is by natural causes and freak accidents. Therefore a murder and a murder with a gun was the biggest news, ever. So big that it became a landmark in the annals of Jamaican time. Persons started using this statement to show time. Hence from Wappy Kill Philip

Now true to form Jamaicans have a strange way of messing up, or let me rephrase that, putting a new spin on birth names. Somewhere along the line Phillip became Fillop and hence, Wappy kill Fillop.

Now being the badass that he was, Wappy was on the run from the police for some time. And in the age before the C.S.I.s and the Law and Orders it took the police some time to find him. Well that’s to say if they ever found him at all. So another much used slang developed in our collective culture and that is to say “Wappy back”. This speaks to the quickness and shrewdness in which an action was taken.

Now there is something to be said about how colourful our language is and I find myself loving so much of our dialect. We can’t just say it was big or huge, no emphasis has to be placed in order for persons to understand how big the thing was. Should one need to describe with some degree of disgust someone that their age or size should tell them that they cannot act in a manner smaller people do then you might hear something along the line of "Dis big auss tearin man nuh wah leff de likkle school gal dem alone!”

“Auss tearing” derives from the English “horse staring” which speaks to height. And the act of actually looking a horse in its face. Seeing as horses are such huge creatures standing over 6ft tall to look one directly in the face is no small feat. Any one able to do so comfortably was obviously some kind of giant hence the reference was used to describe what one can call an “over grown person”. Who knew?
    Jack Mandora Mi nuh choose none. [/font]
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Phillip switched to phillop because of how deep country ppl talk. Dem call ppl who name phillip, phillop.

I was told that it was actually "Horse Steering" and it was used in this context: a man big and mature enough to own a horse. Like how we could say any man whey have a car must be an adult. in those days from u a "steer" u own horse, u were a grown man. what about the classic "poppy show" term? who have an explanation fi dat? I've heard a few.

Comment

oh and who da hell is kwaakie? "cant catch kwaakie u ketch him shut". U need fi ask bout da one deh Sikko

Comment

I always heard the saying growing up in the country, but never knew where it came from.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

wappy was "wappy kin"...no? kwaakie, some say quashie....anyway it is a name and probably derived from trying to catch an elusive maroon.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lionpaw View Post
            oh and who da hell is kwaakie? "cant catch kwaakie u ketch him shut". U need fi ask bout da one deh Sikko
            derived from the Ghanaian name Kwaku.... one born on a Wednesday
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              derived from the Ghanaian name Kwaku.... one born on a Wednesday
              so i'm guessin kwaakie was a fast Ghanian(born on a wednesday) who perhaps escaped from the field, but not before a valiant attempt by a slave-master who was only able to grip onto his shirt, which ripped in his hand during kwaakie's bout to escape.

Comment

and what of Cudjoe? Which is Ghanian for Monday morning baby.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

this explanation of horse steering makes more sense to me.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                    Jack Mandora Mi nuh choose none.
                    And who is Jack Mandora? Was it derived from Jack and Dora? Dat would mek some sense!In any case, is who dem?

I am proposing we change dat to "Bruce or Portia, mi nuh choose none!"

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Gamma as Don1 stated some of these Maroon names are West African names that we put a totally different spin on.

I always thought Cudjoe was named because he was short until I met a Ghanian with the same name and he told me that was where it originated and it mean't Monday Morning Baby. The kids is Ghana or named after when they are born and as Don1 Kwaakie is because of the day he was born but we Yardie turn it into sometime else
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

so the ones born on monday afternoon are named what? not sure you got your story right.

cudjoe meant short?! a which part yuh come from?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The ones born on Monday mornings are called Cudjoe.

Most Jamaicans I speak to associate short with the name Codjoe.

Comment

has nothing to do with morning, sass. forget what your friend told you. maybe he was born on a monday morning, but the name has to do with the day, not the time of day. at least, that was always my understanding.

maybe our cudjoe was short?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah you right it is the day but they told me that it mean't monday morning baby.

Yes we develop our Cudjoe more off the looks of the Maroon leader. Just the same way we associate Bogle with a certain feature.

Check out different names here.

Cudjoe is Kojo

http://www.ghananation.com/ghananame...earch=y&page=5

Comment

Working...
                              X