RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We still have the magic. We just need to use it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We still have the magic. We just need to use it!

Caribbean diamond

Thursday, August 19, 2010

"jamaicaobserver";

Dear Editor,
    One of the leading financiers in Jamaica wrote: "The 1960s can be described as the halcyon days of Jamaica 's economic and political history. There was a sense of euphoria, excitement, and pride generating positive energy in all aspects of life. We all felt a spirit of nation building and togetherness.

Older Jamaicans will recall the annual Independence celebrations, where street parties abounded with everyone dancing and having fun together. Jamaica was perceived as the jewel of the Caribbean, and it was the place where people from all over the region wanted to live. It was also the premier destination for the rich and famous, many of whom invested heavily on the north coast. It was during that period that the hotel infrastructure was built.

In this period of thriving entrepreneurship, the key architect in fostering business was the late Robert Lightbourne, Minister of Trade and Industry, while as Minister of Finance and Planning, Edward Seaga made a major contribution in the development of the financial sector. Both Prime Ministers Alexander Bustamante and Hugh Shearer, who served in the 1960s, provided the political leadership that engendered a favourable socio-economic environment."

How great!
    My wife and I were in Jamaica earlier this month and we reminisced about some of the good old days we had when we were in Jamaica between 1987 and 1993. The period coincided with the heyday of the Jamaican apparel industry when dozens of foreign enterprises invested in Jamaica and created thousands of jobs and opportunities for our fellow Jamaicans. The rest is history.

During my brief stay this month, I had the opportunity to visit Jamaica from coast to coast. I talked to some industrious merchants on Princess Street and hardworking students on UWI campus. I drove past the famous community near Marcus Garvey Drive and had a "cool" ride on the new highway leading to the north coast. Then I had a whole jerk chicken at "Scotchies", which in my opinion will humble the owner of "Buhhara", said to be serving the best Tandoori chicken in India.

And as I finished two bottles of "Red Stripe" beer, some Cs flashed into my mind:
    Christianity, Church, Commonwealth, Caricom, China, Canada, Cuba, Caribbean Sea, Coasts, Cruise, Capital market, Cyberstructure, Campuses, Cricket, Cigar, Coconut, Cane sugar, Chicken, Coffee, Cement, Culture, Creativity, Creole, Confucius Institute.

If diamond is defined by the qualities of the 4 Cs it carries, then I strongly believe that Jamaica is one of the rarest in the world. I urge Mr Earl Richards, CEO of the Airports Authority of Jamaica to do "time and motion studies" at the arrival hall of the Norman Manley International Airport. To any tourist or returning resident, the first impression or the lead time does count!

Lewis Leung

Hong Kong, China

lewis_leung67@yahoo.com

hmmmmm.... why then was cry "Betta mus come" so powerful?

something doesn't compute.. trickle down economics wasn't that effective apparently...at least at the bottom
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I alluded to the lack of Independence Day celebration in a recent post.

I clearly recall Independence Day was a significant holiday in Jamaica. Darn--I used to have lots and lots of fun!!!

The gross lack of celebretion is good sounding-board for the overall economic climate.

The newspaper articles on the % growth--and the loan acqusitions from IMF are NOT!

Jamaicas' overall potential is faaaar from developed....

BTW: What caused the those apparel companies to leave the Island? I can almost bet that the labor unions played a part.~~~~sigh~~~

The labor market in Jamaica is one of it's biggest asset.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Eddie would have been a far more successful and responsible leader of that change... mi hear seh innah Babylon Black man couldn vote dem times !

False Prophet tek wi dung.. many run guh Babylon tun second class citizen.. all now dem nuh come back..

Comment

What ah ting babylon nuh good again. Ah wha so? LOL

Comment

Eddie Seago was just as irresponsible as Manley. Both were the major catalysts in introducing gangs, crime and violence into Jamaica. Yes?
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Stop being obtuse...

Comment

i know! manley introduced gans and crime into jamaica?!? ludicrouth!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                  Eddie would have been a far more successful and responsible leader of that change... mi hear seh innah Babylon Black man couldn vote dem times !

False Prophet tek wi dung.. many run guh Babylon tun second class citizen.. all now dem nuh come back..

Eddie? LOL??

Jamaica has already voted on his "Tivoli Model" of development.

Dat Vampire fi get bury.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

And he still would have been far more successful than 'Joshua' as a responsible leader of that change..

Comment

yes...just as successful as his stepchild Tivoli

Comment

Specious argument.. Tivoli dysfunction was a product of the 70's political war dynamic with the PNP in power...

Comment

Tell that to the majority of Jamaicans who have repeatedly rejected Seaga in national elections.

They apparantly don't share your idolatry of the corrupt little fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            hmmmmm.... why then was cry "Betta mus come" so powerful?

something doesn't compute.. trickle down economics wasn't that effective apparently...at least at the bottom
                            Yuh si di nonsense about the Seaga great years? As I have said here before we were starving!

When Lazie comes on speaking about great years, I ask him how many of the people around him lived in a 3 room house! ...not 3 bedrooms, 3 rooms! How many kids wore shoes to school?

Who many kids per trained teacher was the school average?
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                              Specious argument.. Tivoli dysfunction was a product of the 70's political war dynamic with the PNP in power...
                              When did Eddie move on Back-O-Wall? ...in the '70s?
                              Let us leave the untruthful...the re-writing of history out of the discussions!

Many sociologists recog-nise west Kingston as Jamaica's first garrison.
                              Formerly known as Back-O-Wall, it was bulldozed in 1965; its residents were removed and replaced by supporters of the ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).
                              Last edited by Karl; August 21, 2010, 04:14 PM.
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X