X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports and schools in Jamaica

Sports and schools in Jamaica

Published: Sunday | August 22, 2010

A few weeks ago, on Wednesday, June 30, to be exact, I read an interesting article in this newspaper. I considered it interesting because it dealt with something close and dear to me.

The article had to do with sports and schools in Jamaica.

As one who has spent almost his entire life in sports, in almost every aspect of sports, it is important to me, as it is to most Jamaicans.
    Sports is important to me because of the enjoyment and the pleasure it provides; because of the goals and the challenges it sets those who compete; because of the fulfilment and the satisfaction it provides; probably even more important than that, because of what, by the performance of those who compete, it contributes to the greatness of this country and to the psyche of the people; and probably, most important of all, because of the opportunities it provides to so many.

Historically, sports and schools, at every level, go to together in Jamaica. Over the years, however, and especially so in recent times, sports and some schools are so together that it is difficult sometimes to tell which is more important - whether a school is a school or a sports club.

While it is true that times have changed and sports has developed to the point where it has gone from mostly recreational to mostly professional; that sports has gone from being the pastime of the idle rich to being careers of sportsmen and sportswomen who earn a lot of money from their skill; university scholarships to the gifted; and that sport has been a blessing for many Jamaicans, schools are schools, and especially so in Jamaica, should remain schools.

In many schools in Jamaica today, the emphasis is on producing sports stars, as nothing is as important as winning. And while that is not a crime, despite the desire to produce a rounded student, although many have won scholarships to American universities or colleges, that is not the main purpose of schools.

The purpose of the schools and teachers in Jamaica is to educate children so that when they become men and women they can read and write, add, subtract, and multiply, have an independent life, help others, and make Jamaica a better place for all to live.

Misplaced priorities
    The reality of the situation, at least it seems that way, is that too many schools appear more concerned about the sports stars they produce and about the cups and trophies won than the number of students who pass examinations.

Nothing is wrong with sports in schools, and especially in this day and age of professional sports. Nothing is wrong with wanting to win, and nothing is wrong with taking students who promise a lot in sports into school.
    Remembering, however, that even a record-breaking performer is not guaranteed success after leaving school. Most times, only the best are rewarded financially. What is wrong, morally, and in my opinion, is when a school takes in a young, promising sports person for three or four years, and after being a champion performer, that person leaves the school hardly able to read and write much more add, subtract, or multiply.

There are many such persons who leave school with nothing to show, especially young boys, and whoever doubts this can ask the coaches and the managers of the many youth football and cricket teams that represent this country.

Some of them do not even know the name of the principal of the school, and cannot fill out an immigration form. Often when their school days are over, they join the line of the unemployed.

The article of Wednesday, June 30, was interesting to me because while reading it, my hope was that it would touch the conscience of the principals of those schools who put sports before academics

They turn a blind eye while sports is placed above academics in their schools and also simply do not care about those in sports, especially boys, and those they bring into the school to play sports.

The article was a report on a conference dealing with at-risk boys in the education sector. It was held at the Mona Visitors' Lodge, and was hosted by the World Bank, the Commonwealth Secretariat, and the University of the West Indies (UWI). The speakers included Dr Winsome Gordon, president of the Jamaica Teaching Council, and Dr Herbert Gayle, lecturer, Department of Sociology, UWI.

According to both speakers, as important as sports has been to Jamaica, the influence of sports has affected the education of boys in this country.

According to Dr Gordon, while there are 190 days reserved for classes in schools each year, because of sports and other things only 130 days are used for the purpose of teaching, and according to Dr Gayle, natural athleticism of young boys is being exploited by some primary and high schools at the expense of the students' academic development.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports8.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Is this person...or the editorial board(?) falling into the same trap many teachers and our good friend Tony Becca has fallen in?

Isn't it not about sports or 'formal' education but sports and 'formal' education co-existing?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Is this person...or the editorial board(?) falling into the same trap many teachers and our good friend Tony Becca has fallen in?

Isn't it not about sports or 'formal' education but sports and 'formal' education co-existing?
      Nope...it's about the relative importance placed on sport vs academic development.

In Jamaica it is unbalanced...especially given our academic backwardness
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

i agree with you, D1!

But hey, there's hope! 20% improvement in CXC results!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          i agree with you, D1!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
            Nope...it's about the relative importance placed on sport vs academic development.

In Jamaica it is unbalanced...especially given our academic backwardness
            ...but should it not be 'even steven'?

Comment

Absolutely Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                i agree with you, D1!

Wolmer's Boys win Boys Champs and our CSEC/CXC Results is even better than last year. Of the cohort of 213 students, 130 passed 8 subjects or more. We only have 120 places for 6th form!

Going foward I will be happy id we win Boys Champs every 5 to 7 years but I want good academics every year.
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

congrats,,, an outlier

Comment

Those standards are not that great considering getting all threes is a pass.

Comment

Good article...too many words.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

How many schools in the island would you say have more than 50% of students passing 8 or more though?

You think it would be more than say 12-15?
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No way!

Apart from the exceptionally gifted few, school sports should be viewed a way to build discpline and teamwork, and have some fun. Thats about it.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

If more than that, not many more.... shows how low the islands current standards are.

Comment

sigh

maybe i can hang on to the fact that my sister went to wolmers girls.

YAY!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X