Government awaits outcome of investigations on Robertson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government awaits outcome of investigations on Robertson

The Jamaican Government says it’s awaiting the outcome of investigations into allegations against Cabinet Minister and Member of Parliament James Robertson before making a statement on the issue.

The minister with responsibility for information Daryl Vaz told reporters at the weekly post cabinet press briefing that while the matter was discussed at the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP’s) meeting of the party’s leadership on Monday night, its being treated as mere allegations.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Les Green is to lead the probe into the allegations by a self-proclaimed Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) activist that the government minister ordered that he be killed.

The Police High Command says it has already collected a statement from the complainant who has also been interviewed.

It also says appropriate steps have been taken to ensure the security of the man who has made the serious allegations.

The allegations were outlined in a newspaper article in the Sunday Herald two days ago.

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=24310
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

In any other 'serious" country governed by serious people he would have tto step down pending the outcome of these 'investigations'. Hope this is all sorted out before that LNG thing goes through. There are serious pensions at stake.

Comment

oh ?

Like where ?

What is the evidence ?

Yuh mean seh at anytime, one person can get up. make a statement to di police and remove a sitting Govt Minister from his duties ?

Interesting concept...

I suspect in a serious country they would allow the police to investigate and determine along with the legal arm if charges are warranted.. (even den yuh haffi prove guilt)

Look like yuh want to jump di gun..

Comment

You are absolutely correct, but it appears that the evidence is credible. This does not appear tob be a fly by night allegation. The witness made sworn statements, under the threat of pugery.

Comment

Like India maybe? The world's largest democracy and a serious democracy:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5dc024a4-f...#axzz15ZpGweHf

Or maybe South Korea (a country which used to be a military dictatorship)?

http://www.france24.com/en/20100904-...otism-daughter

Romania?

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-16186492.html

Japan?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...cusations.html

Poland?

http://www.gambling911.com/gambling-...ns-100509.html

Or even bloody Iraq?

http://www.rferl.org/content/Iraq_Tr...l/1739240.html

and just so we know serious democracies aren't limited to countries where the majority of the population is melanin-deficient, Kenya?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7495236.stm

But then with a bit over 30 people in parliament among their ranks I guess it would be too much for a governing party in Jamaica to simply select someone else to be minister on a temporary basis during investigations of serious allegations against an incumbent minister.

It's not like he would even be asked to resign from parliament, just to resign from being a minister. But then I guess if Japanese ministers can resign after being accused of being tipsy and Kenyan ministers can resign for giving discounts then it is probably too much to expect to our not-so-serious Jamaican ministers to resign even temporarily after being accused of involvement in murder in a legal affidavit.

Comment

Maudib ain't correct in this instance. In numerous other countries from as far afield as Kenya, Japan and India a minister would have long since offered his resignation over these accusations.

Comment

And he would not be the first or last to lie..

Clearly yuh tek dis Jamaican Ministah ting fi a Joke..

Comment

lol !!! Woiiee !!

Suppose di man is lying ?

Comment

suh wait.. if dem know seh dem guilty dem nuh muss resign ?

Comment

Mek Ben gwan. You no see Letterhead and Assassin a run from this one. This is not an idle allegation made at a rum bar. As a minister in an high-profile ministery a sworn allegation such as this one made to the US would warrant the minister stepping down pending clarification.

Comment

by this you are saying people do not lie to the US ?

It all depends I suspect on how desperate the individual is.. mi know man try and lie to God..

lol !

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                        lol !!! Woiiee !!

Suppose di man is lying ?

I guess you didn't bother to read my post where I linked several stories of ministers resigning over accusations? Must have been too uncomfortable I guess. In all those cases the accusations could have turned out to be incorrect and the accuser or accusers lying. But somehow that didn't seem to bother the ministers in question from intending to resign on a temporary basis pending the outcome of an investigation.

And if di man is lying then the minister comes out in a super strong position since the accusations would have been unfounded AND the man could be sued for libel. In the meantime it is normal for ministers in real democracies to want to be seen adhering to certain standards or propriety, which would mean when accused of something immoral or illegal they stand aside while the investigation is ongoing so that nobody can suspect their character or think they may use their position of authority in an official capacity to suppress the allegations.

Comment

Show me where I ever defend any criminal activity or suspected criminal activity inna any party. Show me. Mi nuh deal with that so nuh get mi inna your mix up.

If it comes to policies and economics that is different. Mi nuh deal with thief or career criminals so how mi a lend my support to them?

please don't run from this. SHOW ME WHERE I SUPPORT IT.

I never support Dudus, Bruce Golding inna the MPP thing so again please don't run as you normally do. Show me.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yep, you really didn't read it then.

Quite a few of them talked about how they were sure the accusations were wrong or unfounded.

Doesn't sound like they think or know they were guilty.

Besides, I thought outside of France and other civil law jurisdictions one was always innocent until found/proven guilty. I don't recall any of those stories talking about the ministers being found guilty in a court of law, but merely being accused of something rather like how Mr. Robertson is being accused.

Comment

Bredrin.. how yuh know dem nuh resign because dem guilty ???

Stop talking hypothetically.. yuh tink is di fuss time dis breddah character has been attacked..? It prevent him from him wuk ?

For every case you bring when people resign or step down yuh can find a case where no such ting happened..

Yuh know a breddah called Bill Clinton ??

lol !

Comment

Working...
                              X