Same problem - two different outlooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same problem - two different outlooks

"When the recession is already hitting us, when so many people are already losing their jobs, for us to now send home public sector workers to go and pour on top of that pile of people who are being laid off and being made redundant, we not doing it; we will tighten somewhere else," he added.

Jamaica's Prime Minister, Bruce Golding

...and...

....here are our USA Republican Party...

MR. GREGORY: All right. Let me ask you about another hot button issue, and that is the debt ceiling. Come spring Congress is going to have to vote to raise the debt ceiling because our debt is increasing and it's reaching the $4.3 trillion limit that Congress has already set--$14.3 trillion limit that Congress set in February. Will you vote to increase the debt ceiling?

SEN. DeMINT: No, I won't, not, not unless this debt ceiling is combined with some path to balancing our budget, returning to 2008 spending levels, repealing Obamacare. We have got to demonstrate that we have the resolve to cut spending. Now, we've already spent the money, and raising the debt ceiling is just like paying off your credit card bill; but we cannot allow that to go through the Congress without showing the American people that we are going to balance the budget and we're not going to continue to raise the debt in America.

MR. GREGORY: All right. Well, let me ask you specifically about that. Where would--do you think the American people have to be prepared for sacrifice? Which part of the budget, knowing that there's only 15 percent that's nondiscretionery, or that's real--nondefense discretionary part of the budget, what are you going to target for cuts?

SEN. DeMINT: Well, I don't think the American people are going to have to sacrifice as much as the government bureaucrats who get paid about twice what the American worker does. First of all, we just need to return to pre-Obama levels of spending in 2008. We need to cut earmarks so people will quit focusing on taking home the bacon. We need to defund Obamacare, and then we need to look at the entitlement programs, such as the way Paul Ryan has done in the House with his road maps to America's future, to fix our tax code, to fix Social Security and Medicare, and to cut the cost over time. We've got the plans, David, to do this, we just--we need to talk about them, we need to help the American people see where we're going...

MR. GREGORY: But let me just...

SEN. DeMINT: ...but we can cut spending.

MR. GREGORY: Let me just stop you. I want to be very, very, very specific because going back to 2008 spending levels will not get anywhere close to balancing the budget. So you're saying that everything has to be on the table--cuts in defense, cuts in Medicare, cuts in Social Security. Is that right?

SEN. DeMINT: Well, no, we're not talking about cuts in Social Security. If we can just cut the administrative waste, we can cut hundreds of billions of dollars a year at the federal level. So before we start cutting--I mean, we need to keep our promises to seniors, David, and cutting benefits to seniors is not on the table. Excuse me, let me grab a sip of water.

MR. GREGORY: But then, but where, but where do you make the cuts? I mean, if you're protecting everything for those, the most potent political groups like seniors who go out and vote, where are you really going to balance the budget?

SEN. DeMINT: Well, look at Paul Ryan's road map to the future. We see a clear path to moving back to a balanced budget over time. Again, the plans are on the table. We don't have to cut benefits for seniors, and we don't need to cut Medicare like, like the Democrats did in this big Obamacare bill. We can restore sanity in Washington without cutting any benefits to seniors or veterans.

MR. GREGORY: Let me ask you a final question about 2012. Who's got the inside track for president, and do you think tea party forces--yourself, Sarah Palin--have an inside track moving forward?

SEN. DeMINT: Well, I think the, the, the voters have the inside track here. I think the citizen activism is going to change politics. I think Sarah Palin did an incredible amount of good to raise the interest level of what's going on in politics, so she did a lot for the Republican Party, Michele Bachmann, others. But we've got a, I think, a great list of folks, including the next person who'll be on your show, Chris Christie, who's demonstrated a lot of courage. And probably more than anything else right now, David, we need politicians with the courage to make very difficult decisions, to fight special interest groups, and that's what I want to see in the next Republican nominee.

MR. GREGORY: All right. Senator DeMint, thank you very much for joining us this morning.

SEN. DeMINT: Thank you, David.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

The questions are -

...to PM Golding of Jamaica:

What is the size of the government's wage bill?
    What percentage of the budget does it represent?

...to the Republicans who speak about shrinking government - firing government workers in droves.

How do you do that removal of trillions of dollars of spending from the economy and 'fix' the economy?

Hey! ...those are for starters!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Can just imagine HL with appreciable numbers (as to make his business unable to sustain itself) of his customers coming in asking for a "free shipment"?

Look behind the numbers...and the also look at the domino effects of the actions!
      Last edited by Karl; November 21, 2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X